• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

RocketMan's 2013 Glog; In The House!!

There are no gardening mistakes,only experiments." -- Janet Kilburn Phillips

I love that quote and it will try my best to remember it through this new grow. So, I'm going with only 18 varities this year as we're looking at moving to a larger house if not buying this summer and I really don't want to have to try and haul a ton of plants when we do. the ones I've selected are:

1. 7 Pot Jonah---------------------------- Pic 1
2. Aji Lemon------------------------------- romy6
3. Chili De Arbol Negro------------------ smokemaster via SocalChilihead
4. Datil-------------------------------------- Pic 1
5. Fatalii------------------------------------ Pic 1
6. Gochu----------------------------------- Stickman
7. Red Savania--------------------------- Pic 1
8. Chocolate Habanero----------------- Pic 1
9. West Indian Yellow Habanero------ Pic 1
10. Jalabanero---------------------------- SocalChilihead
11. Jalapeno------------------------------- frydad4
12. Douglah-------------------------------- Pic 1
13. Peruvian White Habanero---------- ????
14. Scotch Bonnet Jamican Red------- Pic 1
15. Thai Short----------------------------- Lieban
16. Jamican Hot Chocolate------------- ????
17. Butch T-------------------------------- Pic 1
18. T Scorpion Yellow------------------- Pic 1

Here's the layout and they went into the dirt.

100_3209.jpg

SeedlingMap_zps94636340.jpg

Alot of them are ones i started last year that never grew beyond a certain point and I'm pretty sure that a lot of it was my new grower mistakes. Since I really want to try them I'm giving them a grow again. Once again, thanks to everyone that helped me getting started with gifts of seeds and to all on here thanks for leaving your incredable words of wisdom that we can all learn from.

Cheers to a bountiful grow this year.
RM

Current standings as of this morning are:

___________________________________ Planted / Germinated
1. Pot Jonah------------------------------- 6/0
2. Aji Lemon------------------------------- 6/0
3. Chili De Arbol Negro----------------- 6/1
4 Datil-------------------------------------- 6/0
5. Fatalii------------------------------------ 6/1
6. Gochu----------------------------------- 6/3
7. Red Savania--------------------------- 6/2
8. Chocolate Habanero----------------- 6/0
9. West Indian Yellow Habanero------ 7/4 (2 seeds into 1 cell, oops)
10. Jalabanero---------------------------- 6/6
11. Jalapeno------------------------------- 6/1
12. Douglah-------------------------------- 6/0
13. Peruvian White Habanero---------- 6/0
14. Scotch Bonnet Jamican Red------- 6/2
15. Thai Short----------------------------- 7/7
16. Jamican Hot Chocolate------------- 6/3
17. Butch T-------------------------------- 6/0
18. T Scorpion Yellow------------------- 6/0

So about 28% germination right now.

100_3236.jpg

100_3235.jpg

Thai Short
100_3237.jpg

Jalapeno
100_3238.jpg

I think this is a Fatalii and that pod is hugh!
100_3239.jpg

100_3240.jpg

I think this might be a Red Scorpion and she has 1 little pod and is setting a bunch more now.
100_3241.jpg

The one with my hand on it had 1 small brown bullet shaped pod that was in bad shape and is the plant. The one behind it is coming along now but I dont know what it is.
100_3242.jpg

Hope everyone is having a nice long weekend. From the Launch Pad, Happy Birthday Dr. King!
RM

So with temps that cold, did you move the sprouts to a protected location? Or is it survival of the fittest at Rocketman's house?

Bill great to see the seedlings starting to kick off for you. I saw your list, but I don't think I sent you Chile De Arbol Negro because I don't have seeds for that one I think. That dehydrator is awesome we started using it to make dried fruits, but I also add a little powder to give it a little smack I don't know how my family didn't get one sooner. Can not wait to see you in the plant out phase.

Been making Chili for the Chili Cookoff at work tomorrow. Used fresh JalapeƱos, Serannos, Poblanos, Anaheims, and a wonderful powder mix that originated in Twisp, WA :) Also used sime homemade Smoked Sun Dried Tomatoea. It's been cooking since 6:00 and will be in the Crockpot on Low all night so I'll get some pics up in the morning when it should be perfect. Yep, recipe too :cool:

After cooking all night here's what it looks like

D09E9758-13BC-4554-BFB2-4C35BCBCF0CD-1458-000002461C44B065.jpg

Next to it are bottles of SRB and Smoked Haba-Peno as well as a bottle of Smoked Haba-Peno powder.

Close up

990AC9D5-EF29-41DA-BBDC-742EA9CEA7A0-1458-0000024612C13702.jpg

Recipe:
RocketMan Chili
Medium Hot for a True Chilihead

6 Jalapenos, fine dice
6 Serannos, fine dice
4 Poblanos, Chared over gas burnner then peeled and fine dice
4 Anaheims, Chared over gas burnner then peeled and fine dice
1 Red Bell, fine dice
1 Yellow Bell, fine dice
2 medium Sweet onions, fine dice
3 Lg Carrots, fine dice
6 Cloves Garlic, thin sliced
3 Lbs Ground Beef 80/20
2 Lbs Chucked, cubbed into bite size pieces
1 Lb Chorizo, removed from skin
4 Tbs Twisp Blend Chili Powder (thanks Scovie)
3 Tbs RocketMans Smoked Haba-Peno Powder
4 Tbs Mexican Oregano
3 Tbs Cumin
2 Tbs Ground Coriander
2 Tbs Ground Cinnamon
3 Bay leaves
3 oz Smoked Sun-dried Tomatoes
2 Tbs Masa
1 Lg Can Tomato Puree
1 Lg Can Tomato Paste
3 1/2 Cups Beef Stock
48 oz Beer
4 Cans Kidney Beans, Rinsed

Over Medium Heat,

Dice, chop, hack and whack all the veggies and sweat in Olive Oil.

When Onions are Translucent add all the spices and sweat for another 2 minutes then remove from pan.

Brown Ground Beef and Chorizo then remove

Add more Olive Oil and brown Chuck, When done add the Ground Beef and Veggies back to the pot and stir to mix.

Add Beans, tomato sauce, tomato paste, beef stock and beer and mix well. Add Smoked Sun-dried tomatoes and bring to a slow boil then reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.

Mix Masa with 1/2 cup of water or beef stock till it is well blended then slowly add to middle of the pot while stiring constantly till it's all incorporated. Reduce heat to low and simmer for a minimum of 6 hours.

And now we have the first face fried! One of the guys au work with wanted to smell the powder and dumped a good pinch into his palm, smelled it the promptly licked his hand clean, one thousand one, "Hey, this sheets hot!"

BWAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That's a "Pot of Gold"........ Bill the chili looks awesome, nice ingredient list.

I see your seeds are popping up, some can take a couple of weeks. Keep the soil damp to the touch . Bottom water the trays generously especially if outdoors. The soil will wick the water up to the seed level preventing everything from drying out. Top misting the soil will evaporate too fast, while top watering with a spout can bury the seeds deeper......there are no mistakes for you in gardening...learn from mine......hah

Thanks everyone, the cookoff was a lot of fun and a great way for us to come together as a team. Funny part was when we finished lunch I went over to put the lib on the pot and noticed that each one had about half left and I thought oh yay, I have some to take home. When I went back to pick it up right before leaving though and my pot was empty while the rest were still half full.

:)

Cangratulations... you deserved it! That was a mighty fine looking chilli! Well done... could you put some in an envelope and send it my way? lol

Did a little clean up this morning and started a couple of new ones along with some non peppers. So, here's some new pics of the babies with their names added:

448D7771-AE87-4F4B-A454-9593E0CEDC8F-3379-0000041792181DD7.jpg

F7B0808A-4189-46C5-8DB0-00ED06F5777B-3379-000004179E72CB85.jpg

AF35CD0B-DA51-4E24-B2ED-70C42A6FA9F5-3379-00000417A966A530.jpg

0B472402-3417-4FDC-AF53-0BCC255FC608-3379-0000041798994D7A.jpg

And the new ones:

DB7E1B87-CD57-4767-9C13-3D7361E31870-3379-00000417BB7E3CB4.jpg

Front to back they're:

JalapeƱo
Bubblegum 7 Pot - ChadS
Green Beans
Black Krim Tomatoes
Key Lime Trees

Still have a few more non peppers to go. Have a great weekend everyone!

Back