• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rocota?

We have a Rocoto plant in our greenhouse who seems to love it there, he is starting to turn into a real tree of a plant, should we cut him back or leave him be?

Thanks man we have room we will let him be, I am glad to see the plant is happy. Hope it produces more this coming year last year he gave us only 1 pepper. Why could that be?

Pepper Belly, This plant will also grow up to 6 feet round as well, and is very prone to fruit fly.... If your weather dosen't drop below freezing then this plant should be happy in the green house...

Good luck with it...

Great plants just do a mild trim back,But if you keep it inside make sure the pot is big enough for the continued growth through the winter into spring :shocked:

It only produced 1 pepper this year anyone have any ideas why? Also we wont let the the greenhouse temperature drop under 8 degrees Celsius. This one is in a two gallon bucket. Haven't seen any fruit flies yet.

I would think that a 2 gallon bucket wouldn't be big enough for continued growth? The most common sizes i use and i have heard most people use is 5 gallon pots....

I could be wrong but from my very brief experience, the rocoto wants to get to a larger size before it really produces good amounts of fruit. Also the small size bucket may have something to do with the limited yeild... Time of the year it was planted, and general temperatures could have something to do with it also..

Just my thoughts.

Good to know.

I've got some Rocoto's and I might have to put them in a decent sized pot to over winter it and then see what it does next year.

No heated greenhouse here - but I can keep it reasonably warm inside.

Back