• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Roguejim's 2014 Glog...Rogue Valley Oregon...6/29...Warmer weather = Podding up!

Only my second season, destined to be better than the previous. 

My goal: more pods; more ale.

THE PLAYERS

1.Scotch Bonnet Choc (1)
2.Scotch Bonnet FTL (2)
3.Scotch Bonnet MoA (4)
4.Scotch Bonnet Faria (1)
5.SB7J (1)
6.Bhut Peach (1)
7.Bhut Assam (1)
8.Pimenta Leopard (1)
9.Carolina Reaper (1)
10.Bahamian Goat (3)
11.Jamaican Mushroom (1)
12.Big Red (1) (7-pot cross)
13.Brainstrain Red (1)
14.Caribbean Red Hab (3)
15.Red Savina (2)
16.Choc Hab (1)
17.Scarlet Lantern Hab (1)
18.St. Lucia Hab (1)
19.Isabela Island Hab (1)
20.Trinidad Perfume (1)
21.Moruga (1)
22.Scorp Red (1)
23.Scorp Tongue (1)
24.Jay's Peach Scorp (1)
25.Trinidad Congo (1)
26.7-Pot Primo (1)
27.7-Pot Yellow Giant (1)
28.7-Pot Savannah (1)
29.Siling Labuyo (2)
30.Siling Bilong (1)

The seedlings above are all germinated. They were planted in early December, 5-6 weeks earlier than last season. I'm giving them a longer start indoors, and a slightly later plant out. I switched from Jiffy pellets to a seed starting mix in a Burpee mini-greenhouse. I never liked putting all that peat moss into a Solo cup.

31.Aji Lemon Drop (2)
32.Aji Teapot Orange (2)
33.Aji Dulce (1)
34.Aji Pineapple (2)
35.Aji Omnicolor (2)
36.Aji Colorado (2)
37.Jalapeno Cracked (4)
38.Fresno (2)
39.Numex Big Jim (2)
40.Italian Roaster (1)
41.Rooster Spurs (1)
42.Cherry Bomb (1)

Over Wintered Plants
43.Red Fire
44.Big Red
45.Bhut Cross
46.Carolina Reaper
47.Brainstrain Yellow
48.Scorp Choc
49.Bahamian Goat
50.Peruvian White Hab
51.Bhut Yellow

Things I've learned.

This being only my second season, I vow not to over water, nor to over fertilize my seedlings like last season.

As soon as I plant the sprouts to Solo cups, I am adding a layer of sand to the surface to prevent fungus gnats from laying their eggs in the soil. Prevention is the way to go with these bastards.

Avoid fish based emulsion indoors.

Kelp extract is good.

Over wintered in the brewshed,

Under T8s.

MoA Scotch Bonnet.

SB7J

Thank you, Paul!!  Another Oregonian!  I must be the only one from this part of the State.  I hope I can worthily represent the Rogue Valley.  I see by your number of posts, and Glog, that you are a forum veteran.  Again, thanks for viewing my little Glog.  More to come, day by day.

Roguejim said:
Thanks for the compliment! We had very scattered sprinkles, and gusty winds. I had to stop only twice for about 5 minutes each time, and wait for the sprinkling to stop, and for the sun to come back out. Shorts and t-shirt weather, really. Now, I'm also dealing with a gopher, or mole(s). My wife was just in Portland, Thursday, and remarked about all the food trucks she saw! I would love that! Best of luck to your grow season.

Yep, food carts are a bit of a cliche around these parts, but I'll take it. I remember when you couldn't get a bite to eat after 8pm. These days, one is spoiled for options! I had lunch at a Mauritanian food cart the other day. Pretty tasty.

Good luck to you as well! Take no prisoners with the moles. Those are no fun.

blorvak said:
Yep, food carts are a bit of a cliche around these parts, but I'll take it. I remember when you couldn't get a bite to eat after 8pm. These days, one is spoiled for options! I had lunch at a Mauritanian food cart the other day. Pretty tasty.

Good luck to you as well! Take no prisoners with the moles. Those are no fun.
How do you deal with moles/gophers? Traps? Poisons?

Roguejim said:
Thank you, Paul!!  Another Oregonian!  I must be the only one from this part of the State.  I hope I can worthily represent the Rogue Valley.  I see by your number of posts, and Glog, that you are a forum veteran.  Again, thanks for viewing my little Glog.  More to come, day by day.
I've only been on the forum since the 2012 season,
so not really a veteran compared to some other folk!

I think you will represent the Rogue Valley very well!  
There aren't many of us Oregonians on the forum, but
we make up for quantity with quality, right?

A buddy of mine from work uses the kill traps, he got 13 in the last few months. He's still hunting one in particular though ;)

Glad to see those beauties in the dirt. I hope the do really well for you. I know you put your time into the soil.

PaulG said:
I've only been on the forum since the 2012 season,
so not really a veteran compared to some other folk!

I think you will represent the Rogue Valley very well!  
There aren't many of us Oregonians on the forum, but
we make up for quantity with quality, right?
Quality? I want quantity by season's end!
Devv said:
A buddy of mine from work uses the kill traps, he got 13 in the last few months. He's still hunting one in particular though ;)

Glad to see those beauties in the dirt. I hope the do really well for you. I know you put your time into the soil.
Thanks. I've put a fair amount of time into the box, I guess. But, my goal is to make this pepper growing more and more simple, like windchicken with the wood chips. I think I've found a source for a mix of wood chips, not exclusively hard wood, as I would prefer. They'll go on the ground come Oct. We'll see how much soil amending I will still need to do next Spring, if any.

Roguejim said:
How do you deal with moles/gophers? Traps? Poisons?
Traps. Although at my new place, all the cats in the garden seem to do the trick. Knock on wood...

Of course, cats think the whole lot is a bathroom, so it's time to get the super soaker out again.

"Quality? I want quantity by season's end!"

I was talking about people, not pods   ;) 

​We'll try for over the top on pods!  
Quantity and Quality   :party: 

Roguejim said:
Thanks. I've put a fair amount of time into the box, I guess. But, my goal is to make this pepper growing more and more simple, like windchicken with the wood chips. I think I've found a source for a mix of wood chips, not exclusively hard wood, as I would prefer. They'll go on the ground come Oct. We'll see how much soil amending I will still need to do next Spring, if any.
I'm doing some RCW too, splitting it between what I normally do and trying Gary's method. I'm interested to see the results..

I forgot to mention the other day. Good on ya for getting your G-kid involved, he's the perfect age where he wants to help and hopefully will be a future grower ;)

Plant out is done for my square foot raised bed.  I think I counted 70 plants in the raised beds, which could have accommodated more since I switched to square foot gardening.  Next season, more plants!

Raised beds.

Chinense bed.

Twin Towers.  Aji Pacay, and Cacho de Cabra.  Tallest plant is 30".  These are the fastest growing plants of the whole bunch.

Pimenta Leopard.

Scotch Bonnet Fariah.

Ma Wiri Wiri.

Pimienta de Padron.

Bhut in the back, Trinidad Congo in the middle, and a Jamaican Mushroom up front.

Isabela Island Habanero.

Dos Morougas given to me by the local hydro-canna shop.

Now, the pod watch is on!  Adios from the Rogue Valley, Oregon!

Thanks, Scott. It looks like I have 2 or 3 yellowish ones in need of some cal-mag next watering. I've got a gopher/mole in a a neighboring bed that I'm keeping an eye on, plus, there's always the concern over local deer. We'll see how it all shakes out, I guess.

First pods on a few of the annuums, and a couple not-Morougas(?).

Fresnos.

Cherry Bomb.

Italian Roaster.

These Morougas(?) were given to me by a local hydro shop.  I have my doubts they are Morougas.

Here is one of the Morougas in question.

And the baby pods.  They almost resemble habs.  Maybe too early to tell?

The jungle.

Cherry Bombs.  Can't wait to pickle these.

Fresnos...sauce bound.

Jimmy Nardellos.

Aji Teapot. (ajijoe)

Ma Wiri Wiri. (ajijoe)

Pimenta de Padron.  Destined to be split, covered with parmesan cheese, and baked.

Rooster Spur. (Pepper-Guru)

Scotch Bonnet FTL. (Steve954)

Scotch Bonnet Fariah.  BUMP, please!
Bump?

Thanks, ChiliNoob.  I'm still learning this game!

Scarlet Lantern Habanero. (ajijoe)

Isabela Island Habanero.  (ajijoe).  These were reviewed by Nigel who very strongly suggested these be grown, since they are relatively rare.

Common Bhuts. (local Grange Co-Op).

These are a mystery cross, or the result of mislabeled seeds.  I'm going with the latter.  They look like they might be prolific.

The most awesome MoA Scotch Bonnet.  Seeds were given to me by Steve954 to whom we all owe a huge debt of gratitude for procuring the seeds to begin with.

Scorpion Tongues ready to ripen to red...or so I'm told.

What a monster, the SB7J.

A stuffing favorite, the Jamaican Mushroom.

Another mystery cross, from the local hydro shop.  I was told it was a Morouga.  It's not, but, it is prolific.
IMG_20140629_155042_585_zps7acc44ea.jpg

The same cross.  Any guesses?

Thanks.  I'm outta heeya!

Back