• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

RoninGarden 2012 Now Indoor Glog

Well, I figured it was about time to start a grow log.With over 300 days of sun, Colorado offers a great, although challenging growing environment.This is where I'll be documenting all the good as well as the bad.Here is what I'll be growing this season.2012 Grow List: Pepper/container and size/ growing mediumEverything with exception of CCN plants(blue buckets) was grown from seed.Updated 9/24:Dorset Naga - 1 liter Airpot/PromixBx7 Pot Yellow Brain Strain - 1 liter Airpot/PromixBxTrinidad Scorpion Red - 1 liter Airpot/PromixBx7 Pot Barrackpore - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBx7 Pot Yellow Brain Strain - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBx7 Pot Red Brain Strain - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxSurprise Red Super Hot - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxYellow Bhut Jolokia - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBx - Thanks TaxingTrinidad Scorpion Yellow - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxTrinidad Scorpion Moruga - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxGiant Bhut Jolokia #1 - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxGiant Bhut Jolokia #2 - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxChocolate Bhut Jolokia #1 - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxChocolate Bhut Jolokia #2 - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxButch T Trinidad Scorpion #1 - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxButch T Trinidad Scorpion #2 - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxButch T Trinidad Scorpion #3 - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxPeter - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxWhite Habanero - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxAtomic Starfish - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxRed Fatalii - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxTazmanian Habanero - 1.5gal Airpot/PromixBxTrinidad scorpion #1 - 3.4gal Airpot/PromixBx (CCN)Trinidad Scorpion #2 - 1 liter Airpot/PromixBx (CCN)Bhut Jolokia - 1 liter Airpot/PromixBx (CCN)Fatalii - 1 liter Airpot/PromixBx (CCN)7 Pot Yellow - 5 gallon bucket/PromixBx(CCN)7 Pot Douglah - 5 gallon bucket/PromixBx (CCN)7 Pot Red - 5 gallon bucket/PromixBx (CCN)Condors Beak - 1 liter Airpot/PromixBx (CCN)Devils Tongue - 1 liter Airpot/PromixBx (CCN)Black Habanero - 5 gallon bucket/PromixBx (CCN)Habanero Red Savina - 1 liter Airpot/PromixBx (CCN)Scotch Bonnet Yellow - 1 liter Airpot/PromixBx (CCN)Long Cayenne - 5 gallon bucket/Homemade soilSerrano - 3 gallon Black Pot/Homemade soilHot Cow Horn - 5 gallon bucket/Homemade soilLong Red Slim - 3 gallon Black Pot/Homemade soilMystery Pepper #1 & #2 - recycled containers/Homemade soilMystery Pepper #3 - 5 gallon bucket/Homemade soilCan't have a proper grow list without a mystery thrown in...Dead List: Plants that did not survive Colorado:***Update 6/19- R.I.P. Could not handle the 100+ temps.Fake "T"- 3"minipot/Homemade soil- Thanks Taxing (I'm still gonna grow it)***Update 7/21- R.I.PRed #001 Unknown Superhot - 1 liter airpot/PromixBxAnd here is the Proof of Life photo:I gathered the family for a group shot.
IMG_4470.jpg
Thanks for stopping by, and check back soon, I'm sure this season is bound to be interesting.

Some seriously good lookin' plants you've got going. I mentioned it earlier but all the work you put into getting the backyard in order is awesome, looks great.

Instant follow. +1

IMG_4790.jpg

The sun is back!
I'm thinking that we have hit that point in the season that we'll be getting the daily late afternoon thunder showers.
Which is welcomed by me...
Enough time has passed since the last rain shower that I was able to give everything in Promix a good feeding yesterday.
I'm currently using General Hydroponics General Organics Bio Series nutrients.
So far the plants seem to be enjoying it.
nutes_4796.jpg

I decided to get measurements on my remaining 1.5gal airpots, to gauge future growth.
Here they are... Butch T#1 and White habanero:
Butcht T#1
butcht1_4802.jpg

White Habanero
whitehab_4801.jpg

Here's a pic of one of my garden enforcers patrolling the raspberry bush:
raspberry_4781.jpg

I'm hoping to get a nice aerial shot of the garden tonight.
More pics to follow...

Some seriously good lookin' plants you've got going. I mentioned it earlier but all the work you put into getting the backyard in order is awesome, looks great.

Instant follow. +1
Thanks! It's been a labor of love.

Looks real good!

Let's all hope these rain storms keep up.
I'm hoping that we'll be getting the late afternoon showers from here out.
Keeping my fingers crossed...

Thanks for stopping by!

GLog update for Thursday
Here's the aerial shot:
aerial_4831.jpg

Starting to get some color on the hot cown horns:
cowhorn_4822.jpg

Seeing some good stuff on the giant bhut:
giantbhut_4834.jpg

And same goes for the atomic starfish:
starfish_4837.jpg

The vegetable garden is doing great too.
Tomatoes jumping daily..
Here's a close up of one of the garden workers(not bad for a point and shoot):
moth_4814.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!
Until the next update...

Grand Opening At The Giant Bhut!
Giant Bhut flower opened today.
IMG_4852.jpg

First pod on White Habanero:
IMG_4858.jpg

Cowhorns showing some color
First harvest coming soon!
IMG_4849.jpg

IMG_4847.jpg

Also noticed that everything growing in Promix (everything in 1.5gal and above) are starting to form flowers.
Everything in my soil mix is just a bit slower...
We'll see how this goes...

I'll end this update with another pic of one of the garden workers..
Thanks for stopping by!
IMG_4840.jpg

Until the next update....

Today was the first official harvest of 2012!
1 hot cow horn
First pod grown from seed for the 2012 season.
Everything from here out is gravy!

IMG_4913.jpg

Today was also moving day in the garden.
I repotted the Long Red Slim from a 6" pot into a 3 gallon pot.
IMG_4903.jpg

I upgrade the housing for my Purple Bhuts, from 1 liter airpots to a 1.5gal airpots.
As well, I potted up my last two sprouts (they're always the last two...) Yellow Brain Strain and Red #001 Unknown Superhot into 1 liter airpots..

Yellow Brain:
IMG_4874.jpg

Red #001:
IMG_4897.jpg

Purple Bhuts and yellow brain and red #001:
IMG_4898.jpg

IMG_4899.jpg

In my next update I will be doing round 2 on individual pics of each plant.
Thanks again for stopping by!
Until the next update...

Nice update, how are your plants in the raised beds doing compared to those individually potted.. specifically in the airpots?

Nice update, how are your plants in the raised beds doing compared to those individually potted.. specifically in the airpots?

Thanks!
All plants in the raised beds are doing great. I don't have any peppers in any of the raised beds. They're all in containers.
In the raised beds I have the following growing:
Bed #1:
Roma Tomato X 3
Abe Lincoln Tomato X 8
Basil (not sure whick type) X 10
Strawberries X 8
Sage X 4

Bed #2
Raspberry X 1
Blueberry X 3

As far as peppers in buckets are doing compared to peppers in airpots, They seem to be nose to nose...
I have noticed that all peppers growing in the Promix are doing much better than the peppers I have growing in my homemade soil mix.
I've been reading up on AACT teas, so shortly, (weather pending) I'll be brewing up some in anticipation that it'll help those slower growing plants.
Everything growing in Promix, whether in airpots or buckets are doing really well.

You beat me! Still waiting on my first ripe pod over here ...

Great pictures of all the garden helpers!

I may have gotten the first ripe pod, but I think you'll crush me when it comes to quantity..
I've seen all the pods you have growing... (crazy assortment)

Gotta give credit to my true garden workers.. More pics to come.

Here is a short update for today.
We got more rain last night. Always welcomed..
This delayed my photo documentation of each plant. Hopefully it'll hold off just long enough to get some pics tonight.

Here is the first flower on the Atomic Starfish:
IMG_4940.jpg

Two pods forming on the White Habanero:
IMG_4945.jpg

First flower opening on my 7 Pot
IMG_4948.jpg

And my second harvested pod, Cowhorn #2
IMG_4951.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

That 7 pot looks nice and bushy! I wish I had some flowers on my peppers, but that is what I get for starting late. Maybe by the end of next month I will have one.

That 7 pot looks nice and bushy! I wish I had some flowers on my peppers, but that is what I get for starting late. Maybe by the end of next month I will have one.

Thanks!
All the 7 Pots I got from CCN are rockin.
You may have gotten a late start, but you'll be swimming in butch t pods before you know it..

Here is the start of round 2 of individual pics.
I've added two peppers since round 1. So total count is @42.
I'll start with my CCN plants:

Black Habanero.
This guy has been a trip. Did really well compared to the rest of the nursery plants, but then took a turn for the worse. Now, It's coming back. Stem died off but it's starting new growth from the base...
blackhab_5008.jpg

Scotch Bonnet:
This one is slow to go as well.. Hoping it's just a late bloomer..
scotch_5006.jpg

Condors Beak:
condor_5012.jpg

Habanero Red Savina:
habredsav_5004.jpg

Bhut Jolokia:
bhut_5014.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion:
tscorp_5016.jpg

Fatalii:
fatalii_5010.jpg

Devils Tongue:
devil_4969.jpg

7 Pot:
7pot_4975.jpg

7 Pot Douglah:
7potdouglah_4974.jpg

I hit the limit. I'll post more once I get the bump.
Thanks for stopping by!

Love the leaf shape on the Fatalii. Your Red Savina leaves look just like the leaves on my Habanero Red from pepperlover. I wonder if mine is the savina variety. They came free in an order.

Love the leaf shape on the Fatalii. Your Red Savina leaves look just like the leaves on my Habanero Red from pepperlover. I wonder if it is the savina variety. They came free in an order.
Thanks for the bump!

Continuation of round 2 pics:

The last of the CCN plants:
7 Pot Yellow
7potyellow_4972.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion in 3.4gal airpot.
This one was my earliest problem child. Now it's blowing up!
tscorp_4978.jpg

That was all the nursery plants. The rest from here out are all grown from seed.

This is a quad shot... Mystery #1, Mystery #2, Long Cayenne, and Seranno
IMG_4997.jpg

Mystery #3
mystery3_4999.jpg

Cowhorn:
cowhorn_5000.jpg

Long Red Slim:
lrslim_5002.jpg

All the youngsters in airpots:
kids_4989.jpg

Peter in 1.5gal airpot:
peter_5020.jpg

Purple Bhut #1 in 1.5gal airpot:
purplebhut1_4987.jpg

Purple Bhut #2 in 1.5gal airpot:
purpbhut2_4986.jpg

Well I'll have to end this update with the purple bhut.
Hit the limit.. I'll post more pics once I get the bump..

Thanks again for stopping by!

Love the leaf shape on the Fatalii. Your Red Savina leaves look just like the leaves on my Habanero Red from pepperlover. I wonder if mine is the savina variety. They came free in an order.

Edited my own comment for clarity.

Things are looking great! You've got several that are already on my growlist for next year, Scotch Bonnet, Purple Bhut, and I think I have seeds for one called Brazilian Starfish. Not sure if that is the same as your Atomic Starfish but I'm following your grow to see how they do here in Colorado.

Edited my own comment for clarity.
Thanks again for the bump!
The Red Savina is a "trademarked" habanero.... Yeah.. Trademarking plants... Monsantoesque..
I bought it from Cross country nurseries outa Jersey... On the site it says seeds from plant cannot be sold....
You know when someone tells me I can't do something... You know where that's gonna go.. I'll be giving them away!
So I don't think they'll be the same.. I got the same seeds for free from Judy as well.. I passed them on already.. Spreading the heat..

Here is the last of the individual pics update:

White Habanero:
This guy was stunted for the longest time... Once it made it into an airpot, that all changed.
whitehab_5022.jpg

Now Butch T:
Looking a little limp...Pic taken last night, always seems to "rest" after a day in the sun.
butcht_5025.jpg

Atomic Starfish:
This one is topping out at 21"...
It's starting to fill out with lower growth now..
atomic_5027.jpg

Giant Bhut:
Mr Bhut is topping out at 16" now.
It is really filling in with lower growth as well as flowering too.
giantbhut_5028.jpg

I'll end this update with a pic of my tea brewing!
My plants in soil are gonna love this stuff!
IMG_5032.jpg

Thanks for checking out my Glog!

Things are looking great! You've got several that are already on my growlist for next year, Scotch Bonnet, Purple Bhut, and I think I have seeds for one called Brazilian Starfish. Not sure if that is the same as your Atomic Starfish but I'm following your grow to see how they do here in Colorado.

Thanks!
I don't know if the starfish is the same or not, but it is doing really good so far..
Purple Bhuts are doing great too, the scotch bonnet is a bit slow on the go... But it just had some AACT tea for breakfast this morning.
Hopefully I'll see a turnaround now that the soil has been fed.

This morning's update:
Everything in soil got a drink of AACT tea for breakfast.
The soil has been fed.
Even the vegetable bed got a drink as well.
IMG_5052.jpg

The Giant Bhut is podding up!
IMG_5058.jpg

Pods forming everywhere! And to think this plant is only 16" at the moment.
IMG_5048.jpg

Today I'll be moving a few of the kids in 1 liter airpots into 1.5 gal airpots.
As well, I'll be installing a fence/trellis on the vegetable bed for the tomatoes to climb.
I'll post some pics in the next update as to what was accomplished.

Thanks for stopping by!
Until the next update..

That is a lot of pods. Is that the Giant Bhut as well?

Yup. That's the Giant Bhut.
The pods that have formed are expanding daily.
Here is a pic from last night:
Giant Bhut pods:
IMG_5101.jpg

And while we're on the pod shots...
Here is the first Atomic Starfish pod.
IMG_5100.jpg

Friday was a busy day...
I upgrade the homes for the Yellow Brain and Red Fatalii from a 1 liter airpot to a 1.5 gallon airpot:
Yellow Brain:
IMG_5071.jpg

Red Fatalii:
IMG_5070.jpg

As well on Friday I installed a fence for the tomatoes to climb.
Everything used is being repurposed from stuff lying around that we already have on hand..
Here is a before and after...
Before:
IMG_5061.jpg

After:
IMG_5063.jpg

And here is another aerial view of the garden:
IMG_5087.jpg

On another note, I harvested my second mystery pepper..
Used iphone as size gauge:
IMG_5110.jpg

I'll end this update with one of my garden workers doing the dirty work..
We run a grasshopper free zone around here...
IMG_5081.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!
Until the next update.....

Extremely nice garden makeover, Ronin! And glad to see that
you CO folk are getting some rain showers. Nothing grows
better than in the high desert after a rain storm! I have enjoyed
Bonnies grow a lot, and am glad I visited here. Hope to see
more of your grow - looks fantastic so far!

Back