• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking rub question???

I have been playing around with my smoker and my bbq .. now I am after a rub that has no salt ...
I bought a can of cajun rub from walmart to try it and it destroyed my meal as it was too salty to eat .
what do you guys use or do you make your own???

shayne

as I am polite, I make the following comment - make your own

here's a salt-free rub you can make yourself:

1/2 c sugar
3T New Mexico or other good quality pure chile powder (not a blend)
1T each of lemonade powder, dried parsley, garlic powder, onion powder
2ts ground black pepper - fresh if you can grind it yourself
1ts each of celery seed, dried basil, dried marjoram, dried sage, ground cumin, mustard powder, dried dill

mix in a bowl and store in a jar away from heat and light - it should last several months without any problems.

as you didn't reply to my pm's I expect you won't say thanks or anything but maybe some other site members may appreciate this post

What are you making? A lot of commercial rubs use a lot of salt and if you go Cajun you will notice more of it. using enough salt will also restrict the capillaries to keep the meat juicy not salty I happen to like some of the flavor of the salt in the meat as in seasoning. If you look down a couple of threads there are I think 2 rubs w/o salt one for beef and one for pork.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=3435

chilliman64 said:
maybe some other site members may appreciate this post

I *always* appreciate your posts, except for, you know, the really bad jokes and puns. I even like arguing with you.

I'd offer you hug, but Mrs. Chilliman64 might be watching, so I'll give you a little pat on your bald spot instead.

*pat*

I got a great Memphis-style rub recipe from the Chile Pepper Magazine 4-5 years ago. Of course, I had to up the Cayenne content a bit, and have thrown other things into it as well, but it is a good all-purpose rub. To my knowledge, it is paprika-based rather than salt-based. Also has a lot of brown sugar to it.
In my humble opinion, it is better than the Rendezvous's dry rub (ducking, in case any Memphians read this....but it's true).

I'll dig up the recipe for you when I go home this weekend. I'll post it here. You may be able to find it on the Chile Pepper Mag's website in the archives.

Pam said:
I *always* appreciate your posts, except for, you know, the really bad jokes and puns. I even like arguing with you.

I'd offer you hug, but Mrs. Chilliman64 might be watching, so I'll give you a little pat on your bald spot instead.

*pat*

thanks Pam, you're such a sweety!!! just be careful about touching the bald spot, it's an extremely powerful erogenous zone! ;)

chilliman64 said:
thanks Pam, you're such a sweety!!! just be careful about touching the bald spot, it's an extremely powerful erogenous zone! ;)

Huh. And here I thought it was the chilli sweat that burned my fingers.

chilliman64 said:
as I am polite, I make the following comment - make your own

here's a salt-free rub you can make yourself:

1/2 c sugar
3T New Mexico or other good quality pure chile powder (not a blend)
1T each of lemonade powder, dried parsley, garlic powder, onion powder
2ts ground black pepper - fresh if you can grind it yourself
1ts each of celery seed, dried basil, dried marjoram, dried sage, ground cumin, mustard powder, dried dill

mix in a bowl and store in a jar away from heat and light - it should last several months without any problems.

as you didn't reply to my pm's I expect you won't say thanks or anything but maybe some other site members may appreciate this post

Thats a nice sounding rub man, I'll have to try it.
Here's my favorite:
1/2 cup Paprika
1/4 cup Chili powder
3 tbsp salt or in this case you can do away with it
2 tbsp ground coriander, garlic powder, sugar(white or brown), curry powder, hot mustard powder, chipotle powder, cayenne pepper.
1 tbsp fresh cracked black pepper, died basil, died thyme, ground cumin, lemon zest.

shayneyasinski said:
I have been playing around with my smoker and my bbq .. now I am after a rub that has no salt ...
I bought a can of cajun rub from walmart to try it and it destroyed my meal as it was too salty to eat .
what do you guys use or do you make your own???

shayne

Hey man,
what's best for you? I stay away from salt completely, but that's me. i am allergic to iodine, n iodine is in almost all salt, n salt is in all processed foods in the states.
My pepper blend(rub) consists of several different spices and peppers each year. this year they are: garlic chive, white pepper, cumin, allspice berries, celery powder, black pepper corn, chinese mustard flour, mesquite barley, hickory barley, cinnamon, lemon peel, dill weed, orange peel, thyme leaves,, bay leaf, jamaican jerk spice, kung pao pepper, peter pepper, japone pepper, jalapeno, thai, finger, cayenne(mexican & california), banana(sweet n hot), habanero(White, peach, chocolate, red, orange), garden salsa, n always about 10% of the mix is flaxseed powder. somewhere i once read that spices reach their peak at 1 years time, so every harvest i clear out the spice cabinet, n add a few peppers to the mix. i never measure anything out, i just wing it. i usually end up with about 15 to 20 pounds of pepper blend(rub) every year, n it's never enough. it goes fast.

Agreed with the iodine thing. You can always use sea salt though...

At my age (and blood pressure....creeping up a bit) I shy away from salt. Most good dry rubs don't need salt.

I disagree with staffing. I think that rub needs salt to bring out the flavors of the other ingredients. By making your own, whether you use one given or make one up, you can use as much or as little as you need. It is unfortunate that a lot of the commercial rubs rely way too heavy on salt for flavor rather than using it as a flavor enhancer. I use 1/3 cup of salt in my rub, one batch being about a quart and a half, and it is really good. (Can't give the recipe, as it is entered in the upcoming contest!)

Experiment, it's fun!

Also, as aforementioned, go with the sea salts, no iodine added.

I defer to your greater experience. As I can't recall the ingredients, there may indeed be salt in the recipe I use. If so, not much. I won't know til I get home tomorrow, and probably won't look until Saturday. It's been a bear of a week.

Back