• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Rubberery chicken wings Plz help!

I have eaten chicken wings everyway from on the bbq to in the deep fryer. My question is when I try to bake them in the over they never become crispy .I`m putting them on a cookie sheet baking them at 350 for about 50 min and even trying to broil them for a few minutes at the end and they always seem to come out all rubbery meaning the skin is very soft.

Any idea on what I’m doing wrong or is there anything I can do differently? Or am I just wasting my time trying to do them in my apartment? I don’t like to use a deep fryer as it stinks up the place for a few days of grease.

Thx in advance fellas!

Sounds like you need fish fryer that you can sit on your patio and cook them in or you could pan fry them in a black iron skillet if you have one.

If you want really crispy wings, use a little corn starch in your dredge, dredge them, put them on a rack in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before cooking, then put them in your grease...by the way, I would use peanut oil and have it at 375F to begin with...the temperature will come down when you start cooking them, but try and keep the oil temperature as close to 350 as you can...

welcome to the forum...

You have to draw the moisture out of the skin.

1. Boil a pot of water.
2. Put the wings in a colander and pour the boiling water over the wings.
3. Dry the wings off and put them on a cookie sheet.
4. Liberally cover the wings with kosher salt (pile it on).
5. Let them sit for one hour or longer in fridge.
6. Brush/shake all the salt off.

Now bake as usual.

Those are fried, he wants to bake them.

Well, then he'll have crap wings.

You can not make good wings baked. Period.

Use breaded chicken tenders, that'll work good.

Wings are a crap excuse for a piece of "meat", only frying can redeem them.

That's right..I do not eat wings.

I could have my name on a Wall of Flame locally for eating the Code Red Widowmaker Sauce, but it's Wings. (apologies to Defcon, I'd eat coated "boneless wings" with any sauce made on this planet..you don't scare me John.) Irony is, breading hold MORE sauce...

I hate wings.

Off to eat chiken nugs with GPS and bbq sauze..

I'd bet if you combined GPS, Nova's Concentrate and Lust..no person could stand it for long. Better yet, just challenge the Aussies to a Throwdown. You'd lose, Man.

Oleresin/Extract sauces are dinos...they gonna die out...sure, ya got yer 'normals' who are feared of anything hotter than taco bell as a market, just like Daves.

I just got THIS in the mail for work done...

http://www.darkgrid.com/images/hotstuff/S6304278.jpg

*I* could make a sauce out of these that few on earth could dare touch.

Does your chicken look like this:
rubber_chicken.jpg

If so, ur doin it wrong.

:lol:

Here's something that works for me if I bake chicken, put them on a rack over a flat pan so the fat drips out and below rather than them cooking in it. I would still recommend using a deep fryer though.

Thx for the tips fellas,Going to try and crack up the heat to 425 on a wire rack idea.

I`ll let you know how they turn out!

imaguitargod said:
I saw that yesturday. I've officially incorperated that into my reporta (sp).

repertoire?;)

gobby said:
Thx for the tips fellas,Going to try and crack up the heat to 425 on a wire rack idea.

I`ll let you know how they turn out!

Sounds like a winner! Use foil to catch the grease.

Yep, putting them on a rack will help and definitely put some tinfoil under the rack. It makes cleanup so much easier.

Back