• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

S.I.P./Quarantine Cooking

Well, we are all in a mess, so lets have some fun and learn a few things along the way!  First and foremost might be that...you can make a burrito at home!!!  That's a bit facetious talking to this crowd here on THP, who have some of the maddest cooking skills on the interwhebz. 

SO, lets post what we are cooking at home, what is made from the pantry, what was out of but substituted, all basic cooking skills.....

I'll get it started!

A couple days ago, talking with my son who is now 21 and living on his own for the last 2 years, he said..."I gotta go, Mom, the roasted chicken is done.  We're gonna eat dinner now."  :sniff:  AWW!!!!  I'm a happy mom.....

Here's what we did for family entertainment last weekend.  We rented Milo and Otis...for the DOG to watch!!!
IMG_20200314_125806834.jpg

IMG_20200314_125628239.jpg

what's in the meat drawer- pork chops
Pantry- wild rice (doctored up majorly!)
Breading with pantry crackers
tomatoes (cuz that was the best FRESH veg I could come up with.)
IMG_20200322_173317723.jpg

I didn't have Panko, so I blitzed some Mary's pepper crackers in the food processor with some flour,  added some spices and pepper powders, dredged the chops in seasoned egg/milk wash and then cracker crumbs.  Pan Fry in cast iron skillet with a bit of oil until golden brown and done.

IMG_20200322_185622385.jpg

IMG_20200322_190919767.jpg

Rice- Saute rice mix in some butter (ala Rice-A-Roni) until toasty nutty done.  Add water and chicken base/boullion, cook until done.  Key notes!  Use broth as the cooking liquid and saute the rice mix before with butter!  There are lots of quinoa, rice mixes....just don't cook with plain water.  Saute in olive oil/butter or not,  or not, but definitely use seasoning in the water. 
IMG_20200322_173455148.jpg

Looks kind of blah, but was really yummy!
IMG_20200322_191452147.jpg

next up... Pork, shrimp, LO wild rice-vs-white rice, beans........and andoulle...

share what you got cooking.  Might make this into a competition of who had the best cooking Hack, or best out of nothing dish, to be awarded when all of this shite is over.

and my husband has developed a strange affinity for watching musicals.

Paint Your Wagon
Oklahoma
Dirty Dancing (OK...that one's mine... :lol:)

I'm queuing up
Pirates of Penzance,
Showboat
South Pacific...

and Floyd's final episodes.....

OMG!  I think I gained a pound just looking at those maple BACON cupcakes!  That must be one very special (or talented sweet talking) nephew.  High school? College?

And on a totally unrelated note (but not really worthy of it's own thread, so I'm posting it here)...

One of these is not like the others
IMG_7484.JPG

and a little shout out to my buddy Warrantman
IMG_7487.JPG

High school. He starts studying bio med @ UBC in Vancouver in the fall. Well online the first semester anyway, hopefully will get to move out there 2021 for spring semester. I am anticipating Donnalee pushing for us to go out west to visit next year sometime as her cousin(more like brother) is a police officer in Vancouver and her Aunt and uncle ( second mother basically )live in Kamloops.

Best wishes to him and his further goals.
It's a wacky world right now, I hope all young people transitioning to the next level of their education persevere and git 'er done. It's not traditional college or even elementary and high school.

Hope you and your Lovely can make the trip. With the restrictions on travel, it makes seeing family more special.

Since we're all going back into quarantine after the aggressive opening/soft opening/never closed....:smh:...

The Mazama Store makes the BEST sea salt baguettes!  I can't get them too often, but sometimes, it's a treat.

Last night was Burger Dips on Baguette with gronions and cheese.
Da Stah!
IMG_7513.JPG

gronions (grilled onions)
IMG_7512.JPG

burgers shaped to the bread, with cheese and onions
IMG_7514.JPG

IMG_7515.JPG

IMG_7516.JPG

With the au jus and baguette, these were very fillin, John and I both only ate half for dinner.  Just had the other half for breakfast.

Back in the day, when working at the Sedro-Wolley restaurant right on main street...
the city always had a big 4th of July parade through downtown.  Tons of people lining the street right in front of the cafe. 

About half way through the parade, we'd dump a shit-ton of sliced onions on the grill and start cooking them down for the lunch special Carni-Burger (a carnival burger with grilled onions, fries).  The vent hood would blow all that wonderful smell out to the masses.  When the parade ended and they all came in to eat, yea, the carni-burgers were flying out the pass...

:lol:

I dont think I ever had a French dip until I started working at Axelsons Cafe in Burlington when I was 14 years old. My dad wouldn't eat anything spicier than ketchup on French fries and butter on boiled potatoes. Plain lettuce for a salad, salt on the boiled green beans. Absolutely no onions...ever....

Wow, crazy to realize that's what my culinary exposure was. First salad dressing I got into was blue cheese....at the cafe. Salad dressing was not served at home. Adventurous eating was adding pickles and onions to the complimentary cafe supplied hamburger per shift.

It all comes back around to when my mom was going out from cancer about 6 years ago and my brothers and I were taking turns staying at their house, taking care of mom with her medical stuff and Dad. Cooking and stuff. Being aware of Dads .....bland.... eating preferences, I made sure to finely mince (like to a puree consistency) all the onion and garlic mixed in the spaghetti sauce and burgers and scalloped potatoes and meatloaf.....

He ate it all up just fine and seemed to enjoy the food. :cool:

4 years later....
I made up for it by giving Dad ice cream in his last hour. Figured that would taste better than the pain meds that were squirted in. He tasted the little spoons of soft ice cream and smiled. Soon after, he was gone.

We joke that dad only liked 2 kinds of pie...hot or cold.
And the best flavor of ice cream was the one in the freezer.

Sorry for waxing sentimental. I didnt start out this post heading down that road.

Ok, a post of a culinary failure coming up.

Warshington is ticking up, Calif, Texas, AZ, Fla.....baaaaad news.....

On a lighter note, I plan on posting them plump breastessess I promised last week in the Wangs thread.

Or, would that be on a heavier note, since breastessess are heavier than wings?

Pics will confirm!

And a failed attempt at sopapillas

Made some dough, let it rest, rolled out, folded over cut into 3-4" squares, let it rest.......

Then fried it up!

Hit a couple with a bunch of salt and just ate 'em as fried food fresh out of the pot.   They didn't get the pocket to stuff with taco meat, greasy, probably not hot enough oil, though I did use the digital thermometer...

I did use the taco meat for 3 days worth of work lunches with lettuce, some Yellowbird sauce and Sweet Onion salad dressing, crunched up tortilla chips.....good lunches.

The soggy pillows got pitched in the bin.

picture #5 kinda shows how trashed the kitchen got.  Hubby bitched at me about that one.  :lol:
edit for typos

Attachments

• IMG_7496.JPG
    IMG_7496.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7502.JPG
    IMG_7502.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7503.JPG
    IMG_7503.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7504.JPG