• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

S.I.P./Quarantine Cooking

Well, we are all in a mess, so lets have some fun and learn a few things along the way!  First and foremost might be that...you can make a burrito at home!!!  That's a bit facetious talking to this crowd here on THP, who have some of the maddest cooking skills on the interwhebz. 

SO, lets post what we are cooking at home, what is made from the pantry, what was out of but substituted, all basic cooking skills.....

I'll get it started!

A couple days ago, talking with my son who is now 21 and living on his own for the last 2 years, he said..."I gotta go, Mom, the roasted chicken is done.  We're gonna eat dinner now."  :sniff:  AWW!!!!  I'm a happy mom.....

Here's what we did for family entertainment last weekend.  We rented Milo and Otis...for the DOG to watch!!!
IMG_20200314_125806834.jpg

IMG_20200314_125628239.jpg

what's in the meat drawer- pork chops
Pantry- wild rice (doctored up majorly!)
Breading with pantry crackers
tomatoes (cuz that was the best FRESH veg I could come up with.)
IMG_20200322_173317723.jpg

I didn't have Panko, so I blitzed some Mary's pepper crackers in the food processor with some flour,  added some spices and pepper powders, dredged the chops in seasoned egg/milk wash and then cracker crumbs.  Pan Fry in cast iron skillet with a bit of oil until golden brown and done.

IMG_20200322_185622385.jpg

IMG_20200322_190919767.jpg

Rice- Saute rice mix in some butter (ala Rice-A-Roni) until toasty nutty done.  Add water and chicken base/boullion, cook until done.  Key notes!  Use broth as the cooking liquid and saute the rice mix before with butter!  There are lots of quinoa, rice mixes....just don't cook with plain water.  Saute in olive oil/butter or not,  or not, but definitely use seasoning in the water. 
IMG_20200322_173455148.jpg

Looks kind of blah, but was really yummy!
IMG_20200322_191452147.jpg

next up... Pork, shrimp, LO wild rice-vs-white rice, beans........and andoulle...

share what you got cooking.  Might make this into a competition of who had the best cooking Hack, or best out of nothing dish, to be awarded when all of this shite is over.

and my husband has developed a strange affinity for watching musicals.

Paint Your Wagon
Oklahoma
Dirty Dancing (OK...that one's mine... :lol:)

I'm queuing up
Pirates of Penzance,
Showboat
South Pacific...

and Floyd's final episodes.....

The Hot Pepper said:
Get your mind of out the gutter a wang is slang for a wing. :lol:
That's where I was at until that other thread went out the window with urban dictionary definitions!

Here's them plump juicy gorgeous breastessess promised to Ashen,
IMG_7519.JPG

and to back up my claim that the breasts are bigger than the wangs in my house....
IMG_7520.JPG

I was gonna cut the chicken into match stick size, like that burger chain that sells 'chicken fries'.  They ended up  in strips, which worked fine.  Couldn't find the corn starch, so I did 1c rice flour, 1c AP flour, salt, Mrs.Dash seasoning, black pepper and enough water to make it a batter. 
IMG_7522.JPG

IMG_7528.JPG

Putting the pot of oil on the gas grill side burner keeps all the mess outside.  I had the first batch of strips on the plate next to the batter, and while flipping the next batch pieces around in the batter, I ended up splattering the already done pieces.  :banghead:

IMG_7529.JPG

Oh well, back into the pot for a quick cook for the batter splats, then eat 'em up with catsup and some quickly made white sauce.  1/2 c mayo, 1 tbsp horseradish, 1 tbsp white balsamic, 1 tbsp Yellowbird hot sauce, garlic powder.
IMG_7527.JPG

IMG_7530.JPG

The wings didn't get cooked, so they are back in the refer overnight. 

I couldn't find a rack to use draining the wings and for them to dry, so I put a grease splatter screen in a roasting tray.  Hey, whatever works!  :lol:
IMG_7517.JPG

salsalady said:
Here's them plump juicy gorgeous breastessess promised to Ashen,
attachicon.gif
IMG_7519.JPG

and to back up my claim that the breasts are bigger than the wangs in my house....
attachicon.gif
IMG_7520.JPG

I was gonna cut the chicken into match stick size, like that burger chain that sells 'chicken fries'.  They ended up  in strips, which worked fine.  Couldn't find the corn starch, so I did 1c rice flour, 1c AP flour, salt, Mrs.Dash seasoning, black pepper and enough water to make it a batter. 
attachicon.gif
IMG_7522.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_7528.JPG

Putting the pot of oil on the gas grill side burner keeps all the mess outside.  I had the first batch of strips on the plate next to the batter, and while flipping the next batch pieces around in the batter, I ended up splattering the already done pieces.  :banghead:

attachicon.gif
IMG_7529.JPG
Oh well, back into the pot for a quick cook for the batter splats, then eat 'em up with catsup and some quickly made white sauce.  1/2 c mayo, 1 tbsp horseradish, 1 tbsp white balsamic, 1 tbsp Yellowbird hot sauce, garlic powder.
attachicon.gif
IMG_7527.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_7530.JPG

The wings didn't get cooked, so they are back in the refer overnight. 

I couldn't find a rack to use draining the wings and for them to dry, so I put a grease splatter screen in a roasting tray.  Hey, whatever works!  :lol:
attachicon.gif
IMG_7517.JPG
fried chicken dipped in ketchup???  :shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked: j/k i usually do buffalo wing sauce or spicy BBQ sauce but ketchup can work.  :seeya:

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
fried chicken dipped in ketchup???  :shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked: j/k i usually do buffalo wing sauce or spicy BBQ sauce but ketchup can work.  :seeya:
Technically, it was a mix of the horseradish and hot sauce white sauce and ketchup.  Kinda like spicy wings and ranch...something hot, something not-hot.

it`s all good. i was just kidding about the ketchup. i mix stuff all the time myself. right now i have a small batch of homemade BBQ sauce that came out crazy hot and i have to cut it with something else so i can eat it. 

Grilled lemon chicken and poppers with a tomato feta salad.

Have been doing quite a bit of smoked n sauced up stuff recently, was in a mood for a lighter taste. Salt pepper lemon zest on the thighs then basted often with lemon juice,lemon zest ,fresh minced garlic,herbs.

Went in a kinda pizza vibe with the poppers. Basil leaf ,bocconcini dressed up a bit, pepperoni, wrapped in homemade bacon .

U89SCGW.jpg

wTaOESv.jpg

rpqTxbC.jpg

ZiWHwy1.jpg

DyfTj8l.jpg

LZY7tRn.jpg

Pepperoni poppers ?!?!!! WOW! I'm definitely stealing that idea.
Nice looking plate.

Luvme~~~ I make a shrimp cocktail sauce with ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice. Works in a pinch. Its all good. ;)

salsalady said:
Pepperoni poppers ?!?!!! WOW! I'm definitely stealing that idea.
Nice looking plate.

Luvme~~~ I make a shrimp cocktail sauce with ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice. Works in a pinch. Its all good. ;)
yeah i make the cocktail sauce too. so much better than the store bought stuff. i add more horseradish than the store sauces.  :cheers:

Back