• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SadisticPepper's (aka Elcap1999's) 2013/2014/2015 Oceanside glog update

Unfortunately, about half of the trays I had set up got shriveled up on account of a nasty wind storm drying them out. Oddly enough all the plants I had potted up already made it through without a problem, so I've spent the last couple of days redoing the ones I had seeds for, and the ones I didn't I just swapped them out with ones I recently got from PepperLover. Here's a couple pics:

Here's the trays I set out yesterday and today
IMG_5996-vi.jpg

On the left (going top to bottom, I have Red Brain strains, Red Morugas and Yellow Morugas. The middle group is Chocolate Morugas, Red Bhuts and White Bhuts, and on the right is Purple Bhuts on one half, and orange bhuts on the other half of the first tray, and Red Butch T's on the 2nd tray

Here's a little color coded legend I put together to keep them all straight. The color for the chocolate moruga didn't quite come out too well in the printer.
IMG_5997-vi.jpg

Believe me, the drip irrigation system is well worth it. It takes the guesswork out of a lot of things, and saves a ton of money! With the Yellow Morugas I have now, it's only risen my water bill by less than a dollar a month, and I also don't have to guess how much fert to give them either. 

sicman said:
uh oh.  got the big timer involved now ;)

It's actually a really great and intuitive timer, MUCH better than the one I previously used. The previous one got water into it much too easily, which of course, shorted out the electronics. Had two go like that in the span of six weeks, but this one in the pic, you'd practically need to submerge it to get water in it, and it's easier to program

Looks good Paul. I just laid my main line out. I might have everything hooked up sometime this week. Thanks for the pics. Now I don't have to imagine what it looks like.LOL. That's a really nice timer. This is the one I picked up. 75% off at a local hardware store, I couldn't pass it up.
image.jpg

Any time :) Now I'm just waiting for my new plants to finish germinating so I can plant them, and get the rest of my garden growing :)

yea this system would be great for me, i have well water, and the less water i waste the better!!!  now all i need to do is find another "system"  to switch between the rain water barrels and the house well water and id be set!!  hmmm 10  90gal barrels with out pressure. i need a pump of some sort!!  sorry thinking out loud!

Damn! Talk about fast!

Decided to do 4 trays' worth of seeds (keeping them all indoors on heating pads instead of outside) from the new batch of seeds I got from Judy on Tuesday, and I already have my first Trinidad Douglah hook. Here's to hoping I get tons more seedlings in the next few days!

Summer seeds germinate fast. They know their friends are all outside basking in the sun and they don't want to be left out. In winter, they know it's cold outside and they just don't want to be woken up. That and you bought them from Judy.

btw, I dig your setup. It's gotta be satisfying having the "pepper to lawn" ratio that you have achieved!

Indeed! I'm also doing this as a bit of an experiement, since the outside seeds are also Judy's and unfortunately I've had low germ rates the last 3 weeks. I think it may be because it's gotten into the upper 80's outside...

dash 2 said:

btw, I dig your setup. It's gotta be satisfying having the "pepper to lawn" ratio that you have achieved!

Thank you sir. It worked out perfectly with the lot the house is on, that the pepper garden I've set aside is in, I dare say, the perfect location on it. Plus, this house has the largest lot on the neighborhood, and almost every other house here has an insufficiently sized backyard for growing much of anything but a flower garden...

A quick check this morning of my Yellow Moruga plants, shows that they're recovery from that thrice-damned herbicide is pretty much complete. I still am pinching off individual gnarled leaves here and there when I find them, but they're becoming significantly fewer. I'm also seeing an explosion of flower buds being pushed out on all the plants, and a number of already opened flowers on several plants. So I'm ballpark guesstimating that I'll have more pods ripe and ready to go sometime around mid-August at the latest, given the pollenation and ripening times I had with my last batch in April/May.

The ones outside, I have a couple of hooks of every type except Red Bhut and Butch T, but nowhere near enough yet to fill out the garden area. As for the indoor ones, I already have a small  Trinidad Douglah, and two red Brain Strain hooks which appeared the last few days. It was a pleasant surprise, since I only sowed the seeds for the indoor trays on Tuesday morning. 

One other thing I'll be doing, since I had discussed it in a separate thread, is putting pre-soaked seeds directly into the ground. I've bought enough from Judy yesterday to make sure I have enough, which should get here in a few days. So that way, between the seeds I'll put directly into the ground, and the ones I have in trays, I should (hopefully) have enough to fill out the entire area.

magicpepper said:
wow your not taking any chances lol. not a bad idea though.  cant wait ti see what you end up with and how the garden looks all planted lol

Don't worry, I'll be taking plenty of pictures :) And the point was made that by putting the seeds directly into the ground, the tap root will go down as far as it can, whereas, in Jiffy pellets, the tap root stops after a while. So by putting them into the ground directly, the seeds/plants can take advantage of the full depth of the soil, especially the oolite calcium and micronutrients below the topsoil

very good idea, will you have the garden growing all year round, covering them in the winter and keeping them outside?  i know florida doesnt get all that cold in the winter. but cold enough.  except this past winter

The garden will be growing all year round. And down here where I'm at, it doesn't get cold. The average winter temps are in the mid to upper 70's for highs, and low 70's/upper 60's for lows. For this past winter, in fact, there were only 2-3 days (I think), where it got into the 40's/50's, but they were spread out, with the temps bouncing right back to 60's & 70's. The seabreeze I get from being so close to the ocean really moderates the temperatures, and helps to keep humidity down a bit below what it was inland, and even in the middle of summer, the temps here are often 5-10 degrees lower than even a couple miles inland.

Indeed! Having lived up north until mid-1994, then for another stint in 2006-2010, I definitely had my fill of cold weather for the forseeable future :)

And here's a link to my month-by-month temps. Like I said, since I live so close to the ocean, the lows in the winter are a little higher, and the highs are a little lower in the summer.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USFL0237

elcap1999 said:
Indeed! Having lived up north until mid-1994, then for another stint in 2006-2010, I definitely had my fill of cold weather for the forseeable future :)

And here's a link to my month-by-month temps. Like I said, since I live so close to the ocean, the lows in the winter are a little higher, and the highs are a little lower in the summer.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USFL0237
the perfect temps all year round!  but the summer storms are pretty bad arent they, hurricanes and extreme storms and such. i could deal with that a lot better then the cold though lol. this winter out here where i am, we had over 7 feet of snow on the ground.  in some spots, the snow drifts were up to 12 or 13 feet high. and at one point i could walk right onto the roof of my house and actually have to step down off the snow bank onto the roof.

Back