• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SadisticPepper's (aka Elcap1999's) 2013/2014/2015 Oceanside glog update

Unfortunately, about half of the trays I had set up got shriveled up on account of a nasty wind storm drying them out. Oddly enough all the plants I had potted up already made it through without a problem, so I've spent the last couple of days redoing the ones I had seeds for, and the ones I didn't I just swapped them out with ones I recently got from PepperLover. Here's a couple pics:

Here's the trays I set out yesterday and today
IMG_5996-vi.jpg

On the left (going top to bottom, I have Red Brain strains, Red Morugas and Yellow Morugas. The middle group is Chocolate Morugas, Red Bhuts and White Bhuts, and on the right is Purple Bhuts on one half, and orange bhuts on the other half of the first tray, and Red Butch T's on the 2nd tray

Here's a little color coded legend I put together to keep them all straight. The color for the chocolate moruga didn't quite come out too well in the printer.
IMG_5997-vi.jpg

bpwilly said:
Elcap
Nice job,  Heck it made my back hurt just to look at the pictures, so I can only imagine how you felt.  But it sure does look good, and will only get better going forward.

Once you get the fabric back on, this will really look clean.

By the way, your pest patrol look nice as well.  Beats the heck out of starlings!

Thanks! Just thinking about it makes my back ache! And I have other pest patrol members in the area, in the form of scrub jays, which love insects. I saw half a dozen of them in the area, happily eating their fill this morning.

Finally finished the backyard area! Fabric and drip irrigation lines have both been laid. Here's pics:

photo-vi.jpg

A gopher tortoise came to check out what was going on... and munch on the grass
photo-vi.jpg

Fabric all done! For scale, the green dots you see are they're stakes, and 2.5 feet apart in each strip down, and the fabric is 4' wide
photo2-vi.jpg

Here it is with the drip irrigation lines. The drip irrigation lines are roughly where I'll be putting the plants, so each row is ~4 feet away from the next one...
photo1-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

Elcap
Busy, busy.  Looking real nice.  A great long term investment for sure.  I bet that soil will be getting pretty darn warm. 
I live up in the Pacific NW and the dirt here got real nice and warm from the fabric covering when the outside temp was only in the 60's.  I bet down where you are that stuff will be hot.  No barefooting on that ground cover fabric! 
Are you going to need a sun screen over the plants later in the summer?

Thanks both! Believe me, I am beat to Hades, but I still have some things to do. I'm doing more seed trays, to fill out the area, so I can get the plants going at roughly the same time. Beyond what I've done so far, the only other thing would be to purchase the 0.5 GPH drippers and the barbs, since I have just about everything else I'd need.

As far as the sun goes, the temps are mitigated by the seabreeze I get, so I only rarely get into the 90's even in the summer. They most they'll be getting is about 8 hours of direct sun, since the entire house is between this area and the western horizon.

chile_freak said:
Your grow looks really good brother, work well worth while I'm sure!

Thanks! I also made a command decision regarding my existing seedlings in the trays. Having waited as long as I did to do my backyard area (I admit I dragged my feet and really should've had it all done by mid-March, April at the latest), I decided to start my seed trays over because several seedlings were already dropping leaves (likely due to them already being nearly 3 months old but only a couple inches tall with no room to grow). Instead of just 4 trays this time, I did 9 trays, one for each type I wanna grow in the backyard area, with 72 cells per tray. I also made sure to use only Judy's seedlings, since I've always had such awesome germination rates with her seedlings, and the plants themselves look so awesome.

I also just ordered the 0.5 GPH emitters and barbs for the drip irrigation, and they should be here by the end of the week, plenty of time, seeing as the seeds won't pop for at least another week or so...

Yeah, with them directly in the soil, I imagine the plants will be looking mighty big & healthy. And drip irrigation really isn't all that expensive. For the stuff I've had to buy for this area, it was only a couple hundred bucks....

Thank you, sic! I'm really excited about this, and I'm very hopeful that with some TLC and elbow grease, I'll have an excellent crop before September :)

Thank you, kind sir! This past winter was a freak season for everyone, and in my case, I had a couple days where it dipped into the upper 40's (yeah, I know, shut up ElCap), but that was really it for me.

elcap1999 said:
Thank you, kind sir! This past winter was a freak season for everyone, and in my case, I had a couple days where it dipped into the upper 40's (yeah, I know, shut up ElCap), but that was really it for me.
Im thinking to myself boo freaking hoo, I was deep in the grasp of the polar vortex with two days with a high of 14 below not including wind chill :P

My parents live in in Ohio, and were in the thick of it too. It was so bad for them, they became convinced they really should start snowbirding down here in the winter and avoid all that up there...

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:
Nice job Paul you can fit a lot of peppers in that grow area.

Thanks! It's 720 square feet, and I figure I can squeeze ~180 plants into the area :)

This works out better than I could have thought...

I have enough of the main drip line left, after cutting the measured lengths last weekend, that with a pair of in-line connectors, I'm able to put things like my digital timer, inline filters, fertilizer injector, etc., into my covered patio, negating the need to have all of it outside. I can put them behind something opaque so they won't get basked by the sun, and also protect them from the rain if needed. Also resolves a couple nagging issues I was having, since the two timers I had outside were both fried courtesy of water (most likely rainwater), getting into the electronics and shorting it all out. Also, it negates the need to lug a filled 2-gallon jug of liquid fertilizer outside in the sun.

That's great keeping it out of the sun. Making your life a little easier. Can't wait to see the finished results. Enjoy the rest of your day Paul.

For my existing Yellow Morugas, I'm giving them some love with Epsom Salt, and also will be spraying them extensively with neem oil and pyrethrum, since it looks like there were some lingering weevils, as well as thrips on a couple of plants...

Update: neem oil/pyrethrum spraying done. I basically carpet bombed the plants, both top & bottoms of leaves, stalks, etc. It literally looked like I had doused every plant with a gallon of milk, and the sprayer I got from Home Depot was supermely effective at making sure the areas sprayed were thoroughly covered, and a great deal @ $10 :) Whole process took all of 20 minutes, including mixing & filling the sprayer.

Back