• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SadisticPepper's (aka Elcap1999's) 2013/2014/2015 Oceanside glog update

Unfortunately, about half of the trays I had set up got shriveled up on account of a nasty wind storm drying them out. Oddly enough all the plants I had potted up already made it through without a problem, so I've spent the last couple of days redoing the ones I had seeds for, and the ones I didn't I just swapped them out with ones I recently got from PepperLover. Here's a couple pics:

Here's the trays I set out yesterday and today
IMG_5996-vi.jpg

On the left (going top to bottom, I have Red Brain strains, Red Morugas and Yellow Morugas. The middle group is Chocolate Morugas, Red Bhuts and White Bhuts, and on the right is Purple Bhuts on one half, and orange bhuts on the other half of the first tray, and Red Butch T's on the 2nd tray

Here's a little color coded legend I put together to keep them all straight. The color for the chocolate moruga didn't quite come out too well in the printer.
IMG_5997-vi.jpg

Sore fingers notwithstanding, I'm glad to say I'm finally done fitting 180 of the 6" lengths of 1/4" tubing I measured & cut last week with the 0.5GPH drippers and barbs I got on Tuesday. I would've had a ton of blisters on my fingers, if I hadn't had a pair of needle-nose pliers to hold the barbs and drippers. while I pushed them into the tubing.

Except for the garden hose, I also set up the last of the stuff I need to connect the main drip irrigation lines in my backyard garden to the spigot in back. Once I get that, I can pressure test it to see if I need to fix anything. After that, it's just a matter of plugging the drippers in and planting the seedlings into the ground :)

And I have to say, waiting is the hardest part for the new seedlings to pop, since I'd like to plant all the seedlings at around the same time :) It's only been 10 days since I put the seeds into Jiffy Pellets, but I'm always worried the seeds won't germinate.

At long last, I finally have a hook, with the distinction going to a 7Pot Primo.

I also added some Epsom salt into the water I gave them earlier today, since several places have said that a little epsom salt helps with germination due to the magnesium

And this is interesting... Scarcely two days after applying Epsom Salt into my fertilizer injector (and running the drip irrigators it for 3 hours) and doing a big foliar spray of neem oil/pyrethrum, I saw quite a lot of leaf drop. The vast majority of the leaves that dropped were ones that were gnarled and/or VERY yellow. I don't suppose that's normal?

Update: it may also be due to the almost daily rainstorms that have been taking place. As soon as the round of watering I have is done (I'm adding my fish/seaweed ferts for the first time in a month), I'll shut it off for a while, and see what happens...

Good to hear your making progress. Hope your hands recover. Interesting about the epsom salt. I always soak the seeds for a day, put them in a moist paper towel, throw them in a ziplock bag, and put them under a heating mat. I usually have 90% or better germ rate in 4-5 days if seeds are fresh. Then they go in seed mix and watch them grow. I'm impatient and like to know for sure. I plant them all at the same time. That's what works for me. Thought I would share. Good luck Paul. I hope it all works as planned.

Thanks, my hands feel completely better today!

I also soak my seeds overnight on a heating mat, but I usually put them right into Jiffy pellets after that in trays. Thanks for sharing this with me. If I don't get good germ rates with these peppers, I'll definitely try your method next :)

elcap1999 said:
Thanks, my hands feel completely better today!

I also soak my seeds overnight on a heating mat, but I usually put them right into Jiffy pellets after that in trays. Thanks for sharing this with me. If I don't get good germ rates with these peppers, I'll definitely try your method next :)
I forgot to mention. I use a spray bottle to moisten the paper towel. I open the bag everyday to give the seeds some air. Just make sure the paper towel is always moist. Not to moist or you get rot. I hope your flooded with peppers this year.

PrimeTime said:
Damn Cap thats a nice spot you got going there! You must be beat!

Thanks PrimeTime! Took a lot of effort, and my back was killing me for a week after the first weekend of tilling...

OCD Chilehead said:
I forgot to mention. I use a spray bottle to moisten the paper towel. I open the bag everyday to give the seeds some air. Just make sure the paper towel is always moist. Not to moist or you get rot. I hope your flooded with peppers this year.

Good to know, thanks! I hope I'm flooded with them too

Thanks, me too! I can't wait to begin selling tons of pods :)

Thanks, no rush man, I know you probably got other stuff on your plate :)

I put in some chelated mineral mix (iron, copper, zinc, manganese), as well as a bit of CalMag, and filled out the 2 gallon fertilizer reservoir with what was left in the smaller reservoir, and set it to be watered for 3 hours, starting at 9 AM tomorrow morning. I'm hoping the chelated mineral mix will wake the plants up and get them to correct the yellowing leaves, grow more leaves, as well as flowers, and eventually more yellow & red Morugas :)

Took my dinner break this afternoon and fitted the brass y-adapter, in-line filter, and garden hose I bought at Home Depot this morning to my drip irrigation system. I tightened up all the newly fitted parts as much as I could to prevent leaks, and did a pressure test for the whole system. Only found a couple of small leaks in the system, primarily in the in-line 0.7" adapters and two of the endcaps of them mainline rows which were easily fixed with tightening the end caps back, and moving back the stakes a couple inches so that the endcaps don't catch on it and loosen up as they retract from cooling off after being in the sun. Overall, I couldn't be happier :) Now I just gotta wait for the seeds to pop so I can plant them and get going already.

I'll take some tomorrow during the daylight ;)

OCD Chilehead said:
Sounds like everything is coming together Paul. How are your producing plants doing? Are they responding to the mineral mix?

Yes, they are. Between the mineral mix and pruning off the leaves/stems affected by that thrice damned herbicide (I'm now convinced it was herbicide that basically shut down my plants and gnarled the leaves), I'm seeing new shoots, leaves and flower buds coming out. In fact I already have an open flower on a couple plants, and a couple more about to open any day.

elcap1999 said:
Yes, they are. Between the mineral mix and pruning off the leaves/stems affected by that thrice damned herbicide (I'm now convinced it was herbicide that basically shut down my plants and gnarled the leaves), I'm seeing new shoots, leaves and flower buds coming out. In fact I already have an open flower on a couple plants, and a couple more about to open any day.
Very good news. Congrats on new blossoms.

Have a good weekend.

Chuck

As promised, here are the pictures of the connections I finished up making.

First off, here's the part inside the patio:

Garden hose -> Digital Timer (currently off and closed) -> Backflow stopper -> 25 PSI adapter -> Inline drip irrigation adapter -> drip irrigation line
IMG_8380-vi.jpg

And the outside part
Spigot -> Brass Y Adapter -> Inline water filter -> Garden hose
IMG_8381-vi.jpg

It's all tightened up so that even with it being on and fully pressurized right now, there's not a single drop escaping 

Back