• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Sam Adams popping the top

Every once in a while a company tries to convince the public that despite what they know, do, and see others do, they are wrong. They should do something "properly" which usually translates to "hoity-toity".

Sam Adams has embarked on this path. They are airing adds that are aimed at convincing people that beer should not be ice cold. Yes for propper tasting of the nuances of the brewing process. No for refreshment.

And by the way Sam old buddy I live in Arizona and If I wait 5 minutes my beer is 90 degrees. Thats not kidding. If I spray my sidewalk with water it evaporates as i watch it...it's that dry and hot. I can leave a coffee in my car for 6 hours and it will still be hot.

I have always thought of Sam Adams as a joke of a beer. During their inception, they claimed to be the Best Selling Beer at the Great American Beer Festival. What they tactically forgot to tell you was, that was the only beer sold at the Great American Beer Festival. After that, I never took them seriously. The beer sucks anyway.

Of the 1000 or so beers i can say I have tried, Sam's good but the real value in them was with them, full sail, anchorsteam and a few other that gave re-birth to the microbrew industry.

I like ole sammy, when it's free! They're just trying to find a new market, due to the fact that micro brews are kicking their azzes within the real beer lovin' crowd..

Cap said:
I like ole sammy, when it's free![/B'] They're just trying to find a new market, due to the fact that micro brews are kicking their azzes within the real beer lovin' crowd..

Free Beer - MY FAVORITE :) Second favorite - COLD BEER.

Sam Adam's seasonal double bock is excellent. I stock up on it every year when it comes out. I also like a few of their winter seasonals to a certian degree.

Some of their others aren't that great but still usually head and shoulders above some crap like budweiser. I apreciate the effort they have put into changing the industry. There are far supperior craft beers out there but I consider the Boston Brewery to be one of the good guys.

Sam Adams is neither the best nor the worst of the beer market here. We'll drink their sudsy goodness in a pinch without hesitation, but it's never a primary choice. Molson XXX and JW Dundee's Honey Brown have been the recent faves in our house.

Magic Hat Fat Angel
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Rogue Dead Guy Ale

3 great beers!

huvason said:
Free Beer - MY FAVORITE ;) Second favorite - COLD BEER.

My second favorite is cheap beer(but not always)

Only Sam adams product i kinda like is cherry wheat. As for cheap beers, though, Sam Adams is NOWHERE near the bottom...if you don't believe me, go try some Schlitz or Milwaukee's beast(best)....now THATs some serious panther-piss tasting beer. Any time you can get a twelver of beer for under $5 qualifies that beer as cheap.

Hey, I just bought some Mountain Creek made by the Huber Brewery outta Monroe, WI. $4.58/12ver. And pallatable. And 5.5%. Huber makes some great beer, like their Berghoff Red.

But yes, The Beast is about the worst beer I've had in recent memory.

Whatever happened to Oly Ice?

Hank said:
Hey, I just bought some Mountain Creek made by the Huber Brewery outta Monroe, WI. $4.58/12ver. And pallatable. And 5.5%. Huber makes some great beer, like their Berghoff Red.

But yes, The Beast is about the worst beer I've had in recent memory.

Whatever happened to Oly Ice?
OK, i guess my price threshold was wrong...at least for the rest of the country anyway....

Credit the gang at Sam's for getting the revolution under way. (Viva La Revolution!!!) I can only remember one other beer of taste as I was coming into my own beer lovin self and that was "Saranac 1888". (Story goes that the railroad folks would put a keg of this particular beer 1/4 mile past their daily goal, and if'n the workers got to it, they got to drink it. Ahhhhhh, I love goals! GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL!) Saranac NY that was and between those two brews, I left the sad life of regular american pale lagers to a true beer loving machine. If you have the chance, you must try Sammie's Black Lager....DELISH! I am drinkin one right now and am one happy Chili Man. I think that dissing Sammy is like disssing the first of the hot sauce pioneers, you may not like their particular prduct, but you still owe them a debt of gratitude.

ps to The Hot Pepper: Does Rogue make any beer that isn't wonderful? I just don't think so!

chiliman said:
ps to The Hot Pepper: Does Rogue make any beer that isn't wonderful? I just don't think so!

Rouges Arrogant Bastard. It's on my worst 10 list. It's overly skunky, hoppy, harsh...and I just couldn't handle it despite my love of beer and all the taunts that said I couldn't handle it on the lable. I'll admit to finnishing the bottle (full liter) but man has that flavor stuck with me for several years. Defeated by Californians !!! something every self respecting Arizonan hates to admit.

darthcarl said:
Rouges Arrogant Bastard. It's on my worst 10 list. It's overly skunky, hoppy, harsh.

Errrr...I think that's Stone that makes that....

http://www.stonebrew.com/tasting/overview.html

I'm not overly impressed with it either...or any of the Rouge's beers I've tried.

My fav breweries these days are

1. Dogfish head
2. Great Divide
3.Avery
4.Flying Dog ( for their Gonzo Imperial Stout alone!)

interesting that 3 out of 4 of those are in colorado.

For just everyday guzzling I usually go for German or Mexican beer

darthcarl said:
Defeated by Californians !!! something every self respecting Arizonan hates to admit.

YA!!!! What did we win again?

I personally hate Arrogant Bastard beer. I figured it might be good, but I was wrong.

Back