labels Sam & Oliver's Molten Gold BBQ sauce - new label critique

Bavarian Gold prototype 5-5.PNG

Here's some quick breakdown on how this label is similar but differs from the previous 2 product labels I have:

All labels will be on white rounded corner rectangles with glossy overlaminate and waterproof.

The label will be 3.25" tall by 9" wide.  Bavarian Gold will be printed with a 2rd color plate, unlike Cinder and Stoke, which used a single color and black.  This raises the cost of the label production slightly, since a 3rd plate must be created before the run is made.

The bottle chosen is a stout bottle that's 7" tall just like the 5oz Woozy bottle, but fatter, with a short neck by comparison.  I chose this, rather than the standard decanter style because it was unique, and on the shelf, the products are the same height, which helps in storage and creating a standardized height and look to the products if they are displayed in proximity, or on my booth display.

Bavarian Gold will feature the same heat index, at the same height and location as Cinder and Stoke, because it contains a re-formulated Cinder as an actual ingredient. (vinegar type was changed from distilled to match the recipe's predominant Cinder Vinegar base).

The challenge for this label is the inclusion of a 4th panel due to the width of the label.  Because the 5oz woozy labels are 5.5", this leaves an additional 3.5".  The 'front' was widened to 4" to not create such a large white 'frame' when viewed on a shelf from the front.  This leads to significantly more black on the front panel, which was adjusted to keep the same 'stripe logo' design for a consistent brand.

This product includes Coconut oil and Tamari sauce, which contains soybeans.  Both have to (by law) be printed below the ingredients list, which chews up an entire 2 line feeds of real estate.  The ingredient list, while relatively basic, have lots of sub-components, which prevented me from using the same Nutrition Panel as previous labels.

Left panel = Romance Panel
Center Panel = Brand/Logo/Graphics
Right Panel = Nutrition Panel/Ingredients/Allergens
Back Panel = Recipe

Things I'm still on the fence about:
Recipe suggesting pairing product with an alcoholic beverage (IPA) - this could potentially be on a shelf at a public grocery store.
Trying to find out if it's legal to declare the allergens as "Contains Coconut and Soybeans" rather than simply "Nuts, Soy"

/falls off soapbox

Thoughts?

Edit: stout bottle picture
5ef32c31c19372d4735d5a77f81bdbdd.jpg

To me it is a South Carolina sauce. If you used Bavarian mustard instead of yellow and beer, I could see you saying something about it. If not... I don't see it.

I still don't get why this is Bavarian influenced.

You don't have Bavarian mustard. You dont have Bavarian beer in it.

And I disagree with THP on this nuance: saying "Bavarian influenced" means the BBQ sauce itself is influenced by some kind of traditional sauce from Bavaria, which BBQ sauce is totally not.

As such my knee-jerk reaction as a consumer is that it sounds like total bullshit.

Bavarian style beer is Bavarian influenced. Bavarian style pretzels, mustards, 7' tall blonde chicks, BMWs - these things are all Bavarian influenced.

This sauce is not, regardless of how many Bavarian things you include in the recipe. You could kidnap Bavarian children and grind their bones for this sauce and it still wouldn't be Bavarian "influenced".

Unless there's a Bavarian mustard BBQ sauce that you're modeling this after that whole statement is a ginormous wtf to consumers reading that romance panel.

Perhaps "inspired by" is the term you're looking for?

As in, "I was eating a Bavarian mustard and was inspired to create this BBQ sauce."

But as is, you're misusing the term "influenced".

You don't have to disagree with me, I agree influenced is the wrong word, even if using Bavarian ingredients.

:)

Putting coconut milk and coriander does not make it an "Indian-influenced" sauce, unless there is a specific sauce or dish you were influenced by. Otherwise you were inspired by Indian cooling, and used some of the ingredients.

When the ingredients are used by many cultures, like mustard here, any talk of this may be confusing, influence or inspiration.

I had "Inspired By" written on the page here, then drew a line through it, and changed it to "Influenced" because I thought it sounded better.

Now that I'm re-reading it out loud, I'm not so sure.  Inspired by may be the better way.

Yes
But mustard is very American, you may need to explain the inspiration. Or leave out the wording. It's a universal ingredient...

The Hot Pepper said:
You don't have to disagree with me, I agree influenced is the wrong word, even if using Bavarian ingredients.

:)

Putting coconut milk and coriander does not make it an "Indian-influenced" sauce, unless there is a specific sauce or dish you were influenced by. Otherwise you were inspired by Indian cooling, and used some of the ingredients.

When the ingredients are used by many cultures, like mustard here, any talk of this may be confusing, influence or inspiration.
Bingo - we're on the same page 100%

I don't expect any random sauce with chipotles or jalapenos to be Mexican inspired or influenced, unless there is more to the story and ingredients. 

Sam & Oliver said:
I had "Inspired By" written on the page here, then drew a line through it, and changed it to "Influenced" because I thought it sounded better.

Now that I'm re-reading it out loud, I'm not so sure.  Inspired by may be the better way.
Much.

And now that it's "molten gold" and not "Bavarian" anything, why are you even stuck on forcing that term in?

With the new name you're free of all Bavarian anything - at this point you'll just be confusing people and trying too hard to make it sound fancy.

I'd just go with mustard BBQ sauce - it needs no explanation or forced pronouns - it is what it is. People will get it - it's mustard BBQ - it ain't rocket science and honestly no one is likely to care what the inspiration was for it.

Use the real estate more effectively by saying what it's for, what its good on, call out unique or interesting ingredients.

Spinning a yarn about how you were milking a yak in the hills of Bavaria while getting blown by a Bavarian girl is just going to unnecessarily obfuscate the message to the consumer.

K.I.S.S.
The Hot Pepper said:
I don't expect any random sauce with chipotles or jalapenos to be Mexican inspired or influenced, unless there is more to the story and ingredients. 
On my tomatillo sauce I say that it's "a heartfelt tribute to the taqueria-style verde sauces of California & Mexico."

Because that's what it is.

I have 3 sauces with jalapeños - I don't say they're inspired by anything on the label - I just describe the sauce, call out a few specific ingredients & suggest pairings. K.I.S.S.

DING!DING!DING!!!!!!!  We have a WINNER!!!!

FINALLY! 

Ever notice how we go through 5 pages and in the end.....he usually does what was suggested on page 1?

It's all good, Kali~.....we love you anyway.......

:lol:

now you can edit the title of the OP>  :)

Sam & Oliver said:
Molten Gold™ is a sweet & tangy mustard sauce influenced by South Carolina barbecue. Use Molten Gold to bring out the absolute best in your pulled pork and grilled chicken or use it as a delicious dipping sauce.

This tells you exactly what it is (Mustard Sauce), the style (SC BBQ), what it tastes like (Sweet & Tangy), what is it for (Smoking, Grilling, Dipping... you touched on good examples of meats, sounds very universal w/o mentioning 10 things).

Perfect!

Back