• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Sandgropers 2010/2011 Growlog

It is still 42.6 degrees C outside and really humid because we have a Tropical Cyclone Bianca bearing down on us. The line its taking has it hitting Bunbury Sunday morning. Bunbury is about 280kms
south of us. We live about where the uppermost part of the grey area is halfway between Perth and Jurien Bay. We should get lotsa rain out of her.
Tropical Cyclone Biancas predicted track.

Is that as ominous as it looks or am I just gun shy from Katrina and Rita?

And here I thought my 100 chili plants was a lot.

Holy shit Batman! I mean Marc. I am speechless. I mean like that's the most amazing thing I've seen on these boards, except maybe for Iggy's cross dressing photos of him on Springer's show.

You know you may be able to do something that I've always wanted to do, be photographed in a bath tub full of peppers.

Best of luck to you my friend.

Is that as ominous as it looks or am I just gun shy from Katrina and Rita?

We dont get them coming down here very often, Last one was 10 years ago and before that the last real big one was Cyclone Alby in 79. They both did big damage because people round here are not prepared for them. Houses arnt built for them. I will be securing everything loose that I can find today.

And here I thought my 100 chili plants was a lot.

Holy shit Batman! I mean Marc. I am speechless. I mean like that's the most amazing thing I've seen on these boards, except maybe for Iggy's cross dressing photos of him on Springer's show.

You know you may be able to do something that I've always wanted to do, be photographed in a bath tub full of peppers.

Best of luck to you my friend.

Thanks mate, just hope the cyclone leaves them alone.

Looking great Marc! I hope that Bianca dont decide to pick a fight with you!
Kevin

Thanks mate, at the moment they have her eye hitting Mandurah a coastal city 80 kms south of Perth. They got hit pretty hard 10 years ago. We are 80 kms north of Perth so out of the eye but still within the galeforce winds circleand not far from the destructive winds circle but so long as she doent do a 90 degree turn we are reasonably safe. And they still have her as a Cyclone when she hits not just a low pressure system. Still its all just guess work until tomorrow morning when she gets closer.
TCBianca3.gif

Thanks mate, at the moment they have her eye hitting Mandurah a coastal city 80 kms south of Perth. They got hit pretty hard 10 years ago. We are 80 kms north of Perth so out of the eye but still within the galeforce winds circleand not far from the destructive winds circle but so long as she doent do a 90 degree turn we are reasonably safe. And they still have her as a Cyclone when she hits not just a low pressure system. Still its all just guess work until tomorrow morning when she gets closer.
TCBianca3.gif

At least it looks like it will deminish down below a Cat 1 before land fall, best of luck SG

It is still 42.6 degrees C outside and really humid because we have a Tropical Cyclone Bianca bearing down on us. The line its taking has it hitting Bunbury Sunday morning. Bunbury is about 280kms
south of us. We live about where the uppermost part of the grey area is halfway between Perth and Jurien Bay. We should get lotsa rain out of her.
Tropical Cyclone Biancas predicted track.
TCBianca.gif

hey wait, maybe the water does drain the opposite direction down under...your hurricanes or whatever you call them go the opposite direction...they go north to west here and they go south to east there...

good luck with it...hope it treats you well...

cool man...keep me updated on the season down there...you must be getting ready to come out of it..

cool man...keep me updated on the season down there...you must be getting ready to come out of it..

Still 3 months growing time at least down here. It is still a bit hot for lots of the chinenses to seriously pod up although I did see a few buds when I walked around today. Whether they set or not is another thing. It was 40C here today and has been at least that for all last week. Good growing weather if you keep the water up to them. The annuums are flowering and fruiting madly.
It cools down a bit in April but doesnt get cold till June and by cold I mean maybe 0 degrees C at night but usually 5 or 6 degreesC is the overnight minimum.
Although we had an unusual winter last year and had a few frosts in a row. Burnt lots of the mangoes around here.
Marc

Cool, how are you Patrick, I Just had to do all of the medical accounts for the sharks eh! I mean the lawyers. Now I'm headed for bed.

Compost waiting for transplants
IMG_0990.jpg

Whats under the plastic? A guy up the road has a similar looking mound under plastic but he has it in full sun. I thought that in full sun the micro bugs that make the compost die. So anyone who does that is trying to kill weeds or something. You have it in shade?

I need to improve my soil which is yellow sand so I want to make compost but previous attempts have failed.

Whats under the plastic? A guy up the road has a similar looking mound under plastic but he has it in full sun. I thought that in full sun the micro bugs that make the compost die. So anyone who does that is trying to kill weeds or something. You have it in shade?

I need to improve my soil which is yellow sand so I want to make compost but previous attempts have failed.

My compost is under that plastic to stop the stable flys from breeding. I keep it covered until I need to use it. We have quite a few market gardeners around us and if they dont chop their crop trash up small and plough it back under within a couple of days the stable fly start breeding and those little bastards make it really uncomfortable to be outside.

The best compost is the stuff that you make yourself.

Get yourself a supply of grass clippings, straw, seaweed, leaf mulch(not gum) and manure. It is a good idea to get hold of some already made compost from somewhere to put at the bottom of your heap as this will introduce the microbes and bacteria needed to start the whole thing off. A bit like Yoghurt.
Start to make a pile by alternating layers of the materials in50mm layers. It is a good idea to get a few lenghts of white pvc pipe and drill holes in them all along the lenght. Lay these lenghtwise through your heap every few layers. This helps to get O2 into the pile which is what you need to make good Aerobic compost. When you have constructed a pile say 2 meters long by 1 meter high by 1 meter wide finish it off with a final layer of grass clippings all over and them water it well and watch it cook. It will shrink to about half its size over the next couple of weeks by which stage it is good to turn the whole heap. It can be used on your garden at many stages of decomposition from half cooked to fully mature.
When you call in I can give you some microbes to add to your heap and generally to your garden to help the whole place along.

If you are financial enough you can also buy some pretty good already cooked compost from Custom Composts in Mandurah. I can vouch for their premium compost blend. It will get your chillies humming along like you wouldnt believe. I bought a truck and trailer load 25 cubic meters for $1600 delivered here to Gingin. That was about 3 years ago but it is still reasonably priced.

http://www.customcomposts.com.au/products_fs.html

I will start a heap in my new place when I move. The tomatoes I have going in my back yard have a about two feet of good mushroom compost/organic mix soil and then below that is fresh yellow sand fill. They grew well at the start of the season and now they are tall and viney they are loosing all their leaves and look terrible. I guess the soil's goodness is all used up and they are getting nothing from the sand. In the front yard I've gotten two volunteer tomato plants which are going nuts! They came out of the midst of a huge pile of grass clippings and the ground had a month of hosed runoff from a puppy pen. Those dogs were fed an expensive high quality food, and after they were gone the grass grew back lush and green. I suppose its a very expensive way to fertilize your yard but it works!

Back