• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

consistency Sauce consistency

Hi everyone, I've started into the hot sauce making with some friends, and I'm sort of the "leader" with no experience.
I have a question on texture, I'm used to the store bought texture, my batch last night turned out to be more of a paste, hopeully someone can point out my error.

Here's what I did:

oven roasted 1lb habeneros
oven roasted one garlic clove

blended all together with:
1 1/2 cups vinegar
14.5 oz tomatoes
1 mango
12 oz pineapple
1/2 white onion

I then coooked on the stove for about 20 min

it was really thick, so I tried to strain through cheesecloth, that did not go so well

I tried to strain through a collander, did not work

I then tried to re-blend the mixture with more vinegar and water, which I think ruined it.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for reading!!

Let me be the first to repond, although there are some real experts here they may advise as well.

Why do you think that it is ruined? To watery, put the batch back on the stove and simmer it down. Still to thick, add some more liquid (being that you have pineapple, why not some pineapple juice). To much vinegar, perhaps a little sweetner, I like a little molasses (tablespoon or two) in mine.

I prefer a smooth sauce so everything gets strained thru a wire mesh strainer. I do not know exactly what mesh size it is, but it is rather on the fine size. I keep working the concoction with a tablespoon to extract all the sauce (liquid).

I tend to make my sauces somewhat on the thinner side initially, then I use xanthum gum to thicken it up to the desired consistency.

As the "leader" just act like you are in charge and know what to do moving forward (with a smile), I'm sure that you will be able to salvage it.

Just my take until the heavy hitters respond. Good luck, we all have had our "goof ups" now and again!

Addendum: Just noticed that this was your first post! Welcome to the THP. There is a wealth of good information here with many knowledgeable and helpful individuals.

The tomatoes probably did it. If you have a food processor or an immersion blender, puree that big ol' batch and it should smooth out into a nice sauce.

Be easy with the vinegar as not to end up with "vinegar with some heat" which can be good but I have a feeling thats not really what youre going for.

Hope that helps.

first thing that came to my mind was your blend wasn't as "thin" as it should have been...but then again, I don't know what or how you blend your sauce...

I do know that it has to be a pretty thin when you start cooking it...

As far as ruining it, if you added more vinegar and water, unless you scalded it, can you simply add more ingredients...

Or, just trash the batch if it is pretty small...

Note: I just started a thread on making pepper puree a few minutes ago....

thanks guys, very warm welcome!

Like I said, I'm used to Franks and the like, so I was hoping to make something that you just shook onto your meals for some heat.

This batch did turn out to be pretty much vinegar with heat, excessive heat actually this stuff lit me up!

I just have a regular kitchen blender, which seemed to do a good job, but I want better results ... seing as how this is my first batch, I guess I shouldnt be so hard on myself.

Adding more pineapple juice would have been genius, I wish I would have thought of that at the time, I will probably scratch this batch and try again next weekend, maybe with chilis instread of habs this time.

I just want something I can bottle up and give to friends for a little "show and tell", maybe some bragging rights.

I hope to be here for a long time learning from you all, thank you again!

You should check out some of the other sauce making threads....there is a world of information there...

Only thing I would suggest (if you don't do it already) is check the pH of your sauce...how do you bottle it?

Going from Frank's to Hab. Sauce, jumping in with both feet are we?

What kind of peppers do you have access to? Store bought? Any red jalapenos? I'm a BIG fan of Fresnos for making my everyday, not to hot, use on everything, give away to friends and family (to receive the appropriate accolades). Fresnos may be hard to find at retail.

Stating the obvious, the heat level of the sauce is entirely dependent on the heat level of the chile pepper used. Once you decide on the pepper, you then can determine a plan of attack.

I typically do not add vinegar until the end of the simmering process and then just enough to get the sauce to the required pH level. Also, I'm not a fan of cider vinegar, in fact never use it. Distilled white at a minimum. More inclined towards rice wine, white wine, and really like red wine vinegar when using a tomato receipe.

I just use an old fashioned kitchen blender, nothing fancy. Like to pulse blend the concoction in batches with a little liquid to the right consistency and then the whole goes into a pot for cooking.

I usually cook my sauce covered, and take the cover off at the end to thicken it up a bit. That way I don't need to keep adding liquid to it as I go. It helps me keep my recipes consistent.

hey musky...have you ever tried a pressure cooker to cook in? just thought of that...that would keep the liquid in wouldn't it?

haha yeah, I like spicy so I went for habs, but its definitely not something your average character can appreciate.

I have a mexican supermarket by my house, I'll see if they have t he Fresnos or something comparable, thanks for that tip!

I have never checked the pH, so that will go on the "to do" list ... is this monitored for bacteria or for taste?
I'm not bottlng yet, I don't want to even start until I have a proven recipe that I am happy with, I can't wait to get to that stage though

Just reading responses and other threads has gotten me super excited, can't wait for round two!

cool man....the pH level is what determines you shelf life without spoilage....someone correct me if I am wrong but 3.8-4.2 is where it should be for a good shelf life...

glad you are reading the other pages on bottling techniques...there's lots of good information there...

I only pressure can my stuff....not saying it is the only way to do it by any means, but I just fell more comfortable when I give my stuff away...heaven forbid I would make someone sick....

pH (4.0) = food safety. While not ideal (since I've not dropped the dime for a pH meter yet), I picked up some litmus strips from abeer/wine making store to use.

Pressure canning is one method and having recently inherited one, I will most likely utilize this method moving forward. Heretofore, I hot water bath can mine in 8 oz. jars. Cook sauce for 30 minutes, on a low simmer 185 degrees) then immediately into the sterlized jars and into the canner with a good 2" of head clearance on the jars and full boil for 20 minutes. This way they can be shelf stored. Once opened, I always refrigerate my sauce (despite the controversy developing on another thread).

While the 5 oz. whoozy bottles look like the commercial sauce products, I do not use them for long term storage as I do not trust them or my technique sufficently.

As AJ mentioned, the more you learn on food processing and preservation techniques the better.

Hi everyone, I've started into the hot sauce making with some friends, and I'm sort of the "leader" with no experience.
I have a question on texture, I'm used to the store bought texture, my batch last night turned out to be more of a paste, hopeully someone can point out my error.

Here's what I did:

oven roasted 1lb habeneros
oven roasted one garlic clove

blended all together with:
1 1/2 cups vinegar
14.5 oz tomatoes
1 mango
12 oz pineapple
1/2 white onion

I then coooked on the stove for about 20 min

it was really thick, so I tried to strain through cheesecloth, that did not go so well

I tried to strain through a collander, did not work

I then tried to re-blend the mixture with more vinegar and water, which I think ruined it.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for reading!!

It seems like theres quite a bit of pulp, Pineapples are rough to pass through a strainer. I use a food mill for certain sauces, especially solids with fiberous textures such as pineapples, tamarind, guava, raisens...etc.
If I want to keep the sauce "full bodied" such as adding lemon puree or any other citric fruit pulp I'll use the Vitamix........that smooths the heck out of anything.
Maybe next time try making the sauce as one would do when making a vegetable soup or a stock. Add the liquids to the pot and the chopped solid ingredients. Cook the pot down til the soilds become tender, when it cools use a boat moter or blender to get the desired texture. Then you can strain or run through a mill for a thinner sauce. I use this method , theres no need to constantly" stir the pot". But if you puree everything right off the bat you could possible scortch the bottom of the pot, unless you intend to stir,stir, stir as one would do when making a "gravy or pasta" sauce..............very tedious process...............but always worth the effort.
Good luck with your next sauce. Go back a few pages here and search through other threads..................valuable info to be read...

Greg

It should be noted that your sauce should be held at 185-190 degrees for 10 mins or more to pasteurize. You say you "cooked for about 20 mins" so I'm not sure what temps that achieved.

Also in addition to satety, cooking longer and at higher will help as the onions will liquefy.
:cheers:

+1 on the pulp comment. Maybe use pineapple juice instead of pineapple.

Yeah - parboiling tomatos is a must for sauces & soups. The skins don't break down & end up being an irritant.

Easy to do - just dunk in boiling water for a second until the skin splits. Pull & peel - like butter.
:cheers:

Back