• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sausage and Bacon

Ok to Start of I got this pig : 

NB9B3Uu.jpg

Not wanting to use Store Bought cures So I made a bit of Sausage and Bacon is still curing and making Regular, and Canadian ( like the Video )  with a little white pepper, and two just for me 
serrano pepper Bacon and a super hot powder bacon, will let you know how they turn out when there done.  

As for the Sausage I made a few kinds also and made me a super hot using powder of my un-known cross!!   
For 2 1/2 lb pig meat..    

Salt 2 1.2 teaspoon
white pepper 1 1/2 teaspoon 
Garlic 1 teaspoon 
Marjoram 1 teaspoon 
Sage 1 teaspoon 
onion powder 1/2 teaspoon
Paprika 1 teaspoon
Super hot pepper powder 1/8 teaspoon
1/4 cup of water

I just cooked a little test sausage and at first didn't feel any real heat then as I ate more it kept building and building, it's really GOOD!! 

Here is how I am doing the Bacon!!!  
Curing and Cold Smoking Bacon the Old Fashioned Way, salt, Brown sugar, and Maple syrup!!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJKdvOlmkh8

Nice looking hog. The sausage sounds fantastic. I can only imagine how damn good that old fashioned cold smoked bacon is going to be. Just talking about bacon makes the mouth water.

Are you using any cure #2 for your smoked meats? I make all of my own bacon and sausage, and anything that is smoked should really have pink salt added to prevent poisoning. If the sausage will be made fresh without smoking, then the cure isn't necessary.

Teamfour said:
Are you using any cure #2 for your smoked meats? I make all of my own bacon and sausage, and anything that is smoked should really have pink salt added to prevent poisoning. If the sausage will be made fresh without smoking, then the cure isn't necessary.

I agree, I was going to ask the same question.

-Alden

sicman said:
Nice kill. Hope we get to see some of that sausage and bacon cooked next to some eggs and taters.
I Don't eat eggs, They kind of would put me in the Hospital or the Grave.  LOL I have asthma and can't eat eggs don't even know what they taste like.  I can have small amounts in Cakes etc but that's about it..   .

Teamfour said:
Nope not using any cure #2/pink salt.   I will after it's smoked put it in the oven to make sure it's cooked well to prevent poisoning.  I wish we had the temps here in cali to make my own county hams, but I don't, and wont risk that yet so I'm having a butcher shop smoke the hams.. I will be trying to cure "Sheep hams" soon and will use wet fridge cure using pink salt as that calls for 1 month in the fridge.   I wish I knew how the butcher shops cures hams in 10 days.   

Screw the eggs just make sure we get to see some sausage and bacon. I dont care if you throw them on the ground. I just need to see some of that pig cooked :drooling:

That swine looks mighty fine. 

I didn't take many pics of the Sausage but here's one, 10 lb of Breakfast Sausage, my own spice mix with Real maple syrup..   

Hctd9eo.jpg

Also here is some smoked sausage and Hash browns I had for Breakfast.

ZgiqvM6.jpg

I have the Serrano bacon smoking as well as the Canadian bacon in the smoker, cold smoking!!   I have three other bellies I felt wasn't cured enough so giving them a few more days as well as a super hot bacon that will be ready to smoke Tuesday.  :)

Oh darn that is so good the tenderloin Serrano bacon is some of the best bacon I have ever ate. Sweet, salty, smokey and spicy!!! I should add Apple wood smoked!! Even my wife likes it but just told me I am a Jerk as her mouth is still burning. LOL.

I wish I knew how and I could cure and smoke like the local butcher soes in 10 days, but it cost me even less then it would if I did it myself as he hasn't charged me a dime yet!!  I hang my sheep and pigs there and he doesn't charge for that ether, so I picked him up some beer as a thank you!! 

It is so good!! we are having it tonight!!

pis0Ig7.jpg

Back