• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Scam Calls - Heads-up

Not sure where to put this so it's going in the Lounge.

I started receiving calls a few weeks ago from what are supposedly wireless numbers, maybe some that are land lines, but I've confirmed the wireless numbers are scams - if you try to call them back you get a Verizon message that they're not valid numbers. The two I know for certain are 260-228-9523 and 918-570-5402.  They start as robocalls announcing either that they are "your credit card company" or that they are working with "your credit card company" to lower interest rates and, hence, your payments. Doesn't that sound nice? Yeah, NOT. I don't owe anything to any credit card company! The calls go on to say to press a number to talk to a live representative. I've done this and have asked why I am receiving such calls when my number is on the national do not call list. They hang up. Of course, I've now filed complaints with the national do not call list. However, I want to give you this heads-up in case you receive such calls. 

A valid credit card company would not randomly work with another company to lower your interest rates. A valid creditor might work with you personally to lower your rates if you were in a difficult situation (such as a job loss) after you contacted them (not the other way around.) Also, they would clearly identify themselves by company name. Generally, they would mail or notify you through your online account if they had an interest rate offer that was not related to a request you made. 

If you are on the national do not call list and receive such a call, please take the time to file a complaint - it only takes a minute. Even if you are not on the list, do not give any caller your personal information or your banking/credit information. If you receive a similar call from a number note noted above, please post it here so the rest of us can be watching for it.

Ok…. down off my soap box…. Can you tell this kind of thing really pisses me off???

texas blues said:
I don't answer any call that is unknown.
That is normally my M.O., too, but I was getting multiples from these numbers and, knowing my number is on the do not call registry, thought I'd see what they were about. Note this is my land line, not my cell. Pretty much everyone I know, except my Mom, calls me on my cell. (Doesn't matter how many times I tell my Mom to call my cell, she keeps calling my land line. Yes, she has and actively uses a cell, herself! :rolleyes:  ) You know, I had to check, in case it was my Mom somehow calling from other people's phones. 

Still, knowing that some people are vulnerable to these types of scams, it gets my fires burning. People who are already hard up from job loss and such don't need this kind of garbage added to an already difficult situation!  

But ok, enough for now or I'll get all fired up again…. ;o)

texas blues said:
I don't answer any call that is unknown.

Ditto. And you can punch the number into a web search. There's a website, 800Notes.com, I think, that has other testimonies from folks who got these calls.

Best bet is to ignore the call, search the number and confirm it's garbage, then, depending on the phone you have, you can block all calls from that #. I know the iPhone 4 has the option to block calls from any # you want. Any smart phone should have the same option.

Agree with Phil and TB. I don't answer calls unless I know the number. If it's unknown, I let it ring out, and if ni voice mail is left I search the number.

I usually ignore unknown #'s.  If I get repeats I google them and then block.  

You want to talk about scam calls. When I was little i got in trouble for calling Freddy Kruger and Capatain Lou Albino. It wasnt even them just a recording,fucting crap scam. 

Man was my moms not happy when the bill came in :rofl:

sicman said:
You want to talk about scam calls. When I was little i got in trouble for calling Freddy Kruger and Capatain Lou Albino. It wasnt even them just a recording,fucting crap scam. 

Man was my moms not happy when the bill came in :rofl:

Ahhh, I, not so fondly, remember the "900 numbers". I'm sure I made a call or two I wasn't supposed to. :shh:

Jeff H said:

Ahhh, I, not so fondly, remember the "900 numbers". I'm sure I made a call or two I wasn't supposed to. :shh:

900 numbers.

Her: What's your fantasy?

Me: I don't really have one.

Her: It's okay, you can tell me. There's nothing too taboo. Its just you and me here.

Me: Really?

Her: I am here for you. There's nothing too dirty or perverted, just tell me what gets you off?

Me: Well..not that I'd ever do it..but one time I had a fantasy of having sex with my mom.

Her: WTF? TB is that YOU?

There's a man in England that got their equivalent of a 900 line. Gives out the number to any business, charity, whatever who asks for his number. Only his friends and family get his regular number. If anyone calls him that isn't a friend or family, he tells them to call back on the other number. Will talk withh them for as long as they want. He doesn't mind talking with them if they are paying him for it.

I wish I could find the article again. Always nice to read about someone who manages to get his own back.

Back