• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Scotch Bonnets???

They're all like a fruity Hab but with less heat but I think the red and orange are more peppery and less sweet, still really nice though. I find the red probably the hottest.

Some are as hot as habs but generally they are a little milder. The yellow/orange ones are my favorite too, very fruity but different than regular habs. I think the burn hits a little differently with scotch bonnets too but I need to test this theory further.:P

This is one of my favorites and I forgot to start seeds this year:mad:

True Jamaican scotch bonnet
1653529041d45ce6cd8bvg9.jpg

Ok, now here's a question. A quick google and a trip to Peppermania show a lot of different peppers being called one kind of Scotch Bonnet or another.
Names like "Big Sun Scotch Bonnet", "Jamaican Scotch Bonnet" and just plain ol' Scotch Bonnet Red or Yellow. So,what are we talking about here?

Oops. :oops:
Well I was just trying to help. :( :cry:

Yeah well, I'll go make my JalapeƱo burger and leave this to the bonnet growers. :P

I can only comment on the standard red, orange, and yellow Scotch Bonnets so far. I'm not sure how much they differ in taste, not a huge difference at a guess. I'm growing red, yellow, orange and Safi Scotch bonnet this year which I think is a hotter strain, I was also going to grow Big Sun (yellow) which is a large Scotch Bonnet and again hotter, also Burkina yellow Scotch Bonnet (hotter than the standard). Maybe just go for any variety of it you can find.

One plant of each. Actually I might have a few of the red and yellow ones. I had trouble keeping the seedlings alive and every new seedling I started I expected it to die on me so I started back up seedlings. I also might have a mystery Scotch Bonnet ;)

There are several varieties, like the big sun that are listed as hab some places and scotch bonnets other places. Unfortunately C. chinense varieties often become known as one or the other to farmers or sellers or customers. I've got 8 or 9 varieties and am growing 5 or 6 this season and a couple I'm not really sure about.

Also I don't know if the chocolate scotch bonnet is really a bonnet? They don't traditionally speak of chocolate SB's only red, yellow, and orange

For some good info on scotch bonnets check out the Fiery-foods profile.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave2/bonnet.asp

I've also seen the Burkina yellow sold as a Habanero. I've just seen the Antillais caribbean being sold under the title of Scotch Bonnet, I don't know if that is done to make it easier for people to know what they are growing. I thought it was a Habanero type that might look like a large Scotch Bonnet but usually it just is Antillais Caribbean without the need to put it in a certain catagory.

I just noticed the big sun and the burkina yellow are African, so I am now doubting that they are true Scotch bonnets. Also there are some from Tobago and Grenada? I think the real deal would have to at least be from the caribbean.

Yeah, I wondered about the chocolate, especially.

With the number of folks who come up to me at the Farmer's Market and insist the habs are Scotch Bonnets, I can see why there's confusion.

Well I'm 100% certain that I have never tasted a true Scotch Bonnet, all I can say of what I eat that are sold under the name of Scotch Bonnets are fruitier and sweeter than Habs with slightly less heat. I get around a kilo and a half every week and they are always grown in different countries. This week though I noticed a few suspect ones, more like Orange Habs which we never seem to be able to get in England.

Surely they're always going to get crossed along the way anyway unless you're able to get the seeds yourself from the original source.

Back