• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Scotch Bonnets???

rainbowberry said:
Surely they're always going to get crossed along the way anyway unless you're able to get the seeds yourself from the original source.

I guess you could say that about most seeds.

The way I see it, scotch bonnets are from caribbean origin much like habaneros are from mexican origin. Many want to label all C. chinense's either hab or scotch bonnet but there is a lot that aren't either. Its just easier to describe a pepper as a habanero or hab like or SB than trying to explain the whole C. chinense thing, but this leads to much confusion. I really wonder if the non-caribbean scotch bonnets have the typical SB flavor. The true Jamaican scotch bonnet is definitely the best I've tried so far but I have lots to grow this year and I think most are caribbean types. Safi is from Morocco too, why so many SB's from Africa?

I personally found it's practically impossible to determine an African chile's origin. apparently the people in Africa really like importing and exporting chiles.

Found a popular Egyptian chile that actually came from Sudan, and further more it's not one of the local Sudanese chiles. so where did it come from? I have no idea.
The African bonnets probably came from the Caribbean.

Back