• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Scotch Bonnets???

It may or may not come as a surprise, but I don't think I have ever had a Scotch Bonnet. I am interested in everyone's opinion on what they taste like (if it something that can be described). Which Bonnet is better tasting, the Red or Yellow? What other peppers are they compared too? How hot are they? What are the uses for them? Can they be dried?

I know that I was rambling on and on with questions...Basically I would like to hear what everyone's opinions are about Scotch Bonnets.

Paul

Scotch bonnets are some of my favorites. Close to a habanero in heat but a slightly different burn and taste. I don't know what color is the best, I've liked all the ones I've tried and this year I'm growing 6 or 7 different types. They can easily be dehydrated or smoked or made into a million different things but fresh is always best.

I love Scotch Bonnets, I would say the red for me is often hotter, but the yellow more lemony and sometimes slightly peppery. I have had the odd orange ones that have been very hot and really caught me in the back of the throat. I find mine vary from week to week though. Most of the orange ones I've had have been quite small and have very dull skin. They're all fruity and not quite as hot as a Hab.

The Scotch Bonnet is probably my favorite pepper. It's almost as hot as an orange habanero, but has a little more flavor, in my opinion. Citrusy, a little peppery.. It's hard to describe.

Unfortunately, they're very hard to find outside of the Caribbean (unless you're rainbowberry! haha). I'm growing several different varieties this year for myself. I've only had the yellow 'bonnets, myself.

Thanks guys, I was thinking about ordering some of these plants from Cross Country Nurseries. Interested in trying them...

Paul

Geez I have some Scotch Bonnet seed some were red some were yellow I thought they were the same I'll have to keep a close look out when I go to seed them in the summer.

I have about 6 plants growing right now that I have no idea what they are. They came from Burpee Hot Pepper mix pack. When I ordered them I thought that they would be labeled. Pepper Surprise, just have to wait until the pods arrive.

Paul

Actually yes, some of the 'not so ripe' ones are fruitier without the really hot, almost peppery taste that some have when they start to get over-ripe.

that is what i hate and love about this forum... more love than hate because of the knowledge!! the mighty knowledge... but seriously i have 100 plants that i drool over every day.. hope they don't get scared and stop growing :|

teh purple penguins said:
that is what i hate and love about this forum... more love than hate because of the knowledge!! the mighty knowledge... but seriously i have 100 plants that i drool over every day.. hope they don't get scared and stop growing :|

That and every time I turn around, I learn about another pepper to try. My grow list for next year is becoming insanely long. LOL:)

mudatvs said:
That and every time I turn around, I learn about another pepper to try. My grow list for next year is becoming insanely long. LOL:)

Yeah, welcome to my world.

I keep thinking I've settled on what I want to grow, then someone brings up Yet Another Cool Pepper. These people are not your friends, they quickly become your Pusher.

POTAWIE said:
Psss. I got a nickle bag of gojiberries and some Thai-stick peppers.

"Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me. "

Oh wait...I *have* turned to the Dark Side, haven't I?

Never mind.

Back