• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

SE Florida Bhuts, Reds and Aji Limon

I saw the Epsoma fertilizer at Lowes and almost picked up some. I wanted a liquid fertilizer to aid in flower/vegetable production, which is why I went with the 15-30-15. I may pick up a bag of the Epsoma to use when I transplant into the 5 gal buckets. I have my Jalapeno in a 15" clay pot which will probably stay and it's about 1.5-2 feet tall. My hab is in an 8" pot and it's about 8" tall. I will transplant the hab into the 5 gal bucket but I may wait another week or two to a allow for more root growth.

As for as soil, i am using a mix of MG organic and regular potting soil. That's pretty much all I can get here locally. I really don't like the MG and I may just make my own with some compost from Lowes. Now real sure what to do.

Hey Bossman, good to see all of your plants are looking very nice.
The yellowing Aji's I would just try misting some magnesium first and see if that helps, if not may need a weak dose of nutes.
Its been so far so good with the 20 plants i put out on my basketball court this week. They seem to be liking the MG potting mix with Epsom salt, bone meal and espoma lime.
I was trying to cover all bases incase the issue we were having was ph or nutrient deficiency related. Also monitoring every afternoon for pests.

Keep the pics comming bud, glad to see your plants looking awsome!

Silver_Surfer said:
Plants are looking fantastic bossman. I'd feed the Aji's.

Thanks SS...I think I'm just gonna hit them with a little Fish Emulsion....they do look like they're workin' hard to put out those pods now...

The weather is brutal hot and humid....I'm glad these plants are in a screened patio, it's really cutting back on the heat. The sidewalk into my house was scorching my bare feet today, but the patio was bearable...

I want these guys to produce for awhile....any advice is appreciated........

Thanks ..Bman

Ive heard about Coffee Grounds, and Banana Peels as a substitute for Potassium and Nitrogen fertilizers, have you had any experience using these ?

Some updated pics 05-15-10

Here's how the 2nd year Pepper Joe (Bhut?) plant in the ground is coming along...
pjbhut2051510.jpg

pjbhut051510.jpg

pjbhut3051510.jpg

This years NMSU Bhut Jolokia in pot....it's been a fight with these....I didn't harden them off properly and we had crazy intense UV index....they're fighters though
Hopefully some rain will change the complexion of things...

nmsubhut1051510.jpg

Carib red ...plants grew like wild fire, but man have I been fighting aphids on most of the Carib Reds....they don't look like they'll produce much but we'll see...BTW, the aji's have had very few bug problems

Carb Red..

redcarib051510.jpg

Here's a pod on this years NMSU Bhut plant...

nmsubhut052110.jpg

Here are some pods on 2nd year Pepper Joe Plant....the shapes are quite a bit different than the pod above....does anyone think that these are Naga Dorset?

pjyr2pods052110.jpg

pjyr2pods0521102.jpg

A pic of what's in the ground...2nd years are Pepper Joe Ghost, Jamaican Red, Carib Red, Orange Hab.....This year's are Carib Red and seed started from the second year Pepper Joe Plant...It appears that they have crossed from the plant rubbing elbows with the Orange Hab or the Carib Red last year. The pods are just setting so we'll have to wait to see what they look/taste like...

garden052110.jpg

Wow great pics. I didn't get as good as a start as I wanted this year and that with the combined long winter and i'm just getting my plants outside. Hopefully my Bhuts and Lemon's will take off fast and make up for lost time. The only advantage is I can usually harvest pods right up to December!

Great pics and great looking plants. Is it actually better to pick some of the early pods off to promote growth?

Those are some great looking pods. I have been impatiently waiting for my bhuts to turn red. I say impatiently because I have picked a few while they were green because I couldn't wait any longer.

Back