Seasoning Cast Iron, a new way

I'm trying this method with a couple of our skillets except I'm using coconut oil. I'm on either 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th coats (I do one coat a night after work). I'll try and remember to get some pictures this evening.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

i need to re season acouple of my black pots myself. down to using them only when i cook outdoors.

for 95 per cent of my cooking, i been using usa made magnalite pots...so ez to clean up. the reason, being i do most of the cooking and cleaning now that i am retired and the wife still works.
 yep, gunna give her a kiss and her 20 second hug as i see her off to work, then grab my gym bag and out the door...lol

grantmichaels said:
By all means, if anyone know anything additional about this, please share ...

I have a SEVERE love/hate with my CI for sure, but also the SS stuff, honestly ...

I was an active member on this forum for several years while collecting CI. These guys/gals are the pro's for sure when it comes to collecting, caring and seasoning CI.

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Cleaning

So I completely forgot to take pictures abs my seasoning was off and on because we used them before I got enough coats on it.
Wife did cook a red sauce in our 10in lodge and it rinsed right off.

eternalsoil said:
So I completely forgot to take pictures abs my seasoning was off and on because we used them before I got enough coats on it.
Wife did cook a red sauce in our 10in lodge and it rinsed right off.
I find many people think you can't cook a tomato based sauce in seasoned cast iron but that is a misconception. I do it all the time and have never had a problem with my seasoning coming off of my dutch ovens.

I think there's a few factors ... heat, time, and totally acidity ...

If you boil down a bunch, it's more likely than if you simmer it ...

If you have additional acidity from citrus and/or the combination of vinegars etc ...

And then especially the contact time ... it doesn't happen in minutes, but after hours and hours I think the chances go up dramatically ...

Back