• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Secret Project.........

SciurusDoomus said:
How are they doing? Still short and stubby?
Not moving at all. No different to how they were a 7-10 days ago. Not looking good. 

I`ll try some rooting hormone on them and see if that helps at all.

Please don't give up on stubby, Nigel! I've had some pepper seedlings just sit there with nothing but a stem and some cotyledons for weeks then, al of a sudden, just start growing long after I gave up on / forgot about them. I'm really curious to see what happens to that guy. 

Thanks for the reminder. I just remembered that I planned to give some 25% strength ferts to my little seedlings. They're not stubby but I'm sure they'd appreciate the help.

Nigel said:
Seedless peppers do occur, but I expect not because they are triploid, as it`s often just a few on one plant, others having seeds. As you suggest, if there were tetraploids you might expect triploids in the cross with diploids. If that happened, as a plant breeder, you'd just throw away the plant, as it`s no use. The assumption that there are (or have been at some point) tetraploid Capsicums around is a fair one, but given the relatively short time breeding projects have been around, who knows if they exist or not in our populations. It does seem very possible, though. To the best of my knowledge, all Capsicums examined have either 24 or 26 chromosomes, with all cultivated types having 24. That does not mean polyploids don`t show up, but would anyone recognize one if it did? 1 plant in a field of 20,000? I very much doubt it.

A good example of a polyploid plant that has been selected for more than 10,000 years is wheat. There is diploid wheat, but the main wheat grown, "bread" wheat is actually sexaploid. Durum wheat, used to make pasta, is tetraploid. 
Well, yes and no. Polyploids tend to have two characteristics that make them stand out from the crowd. One is exaggerated size of various parts of their anatomy (I mean floral and fruit structures, you perverts). The other is immediate reproductive isolation from the parental stock. I would say that if a breeder came across a polyploid, he/she would have a rather high likelihood of selecting it as breeding stock and would immediately note that it was not interfertile with parental types--an obligate selfer. And as amateur plant breeders, the dialog among THP cross-breeders would have discussions of known hybrid sterility between strains.

And BTW yes a triploid is always sterile, unless it undergoes another whole genome duplication making it an even-numbered hexaploid, which is probably how the all-purpose flour wheat got its ploidy.

Ají hombre said:
Well, yes and no. Polyploids tend to have two characteristics that make them stand out from the crowd. One is exaggerated size of various parts of their anatomy (I mean floral and fruit structures, you perverts). The other is immediate reproductive isolation from the parental stock. I would say that if a breeder came across a polyploid, he/she would have a rather high likelihood of selecting it as breeding stock and would immediately note that it was not interfertile with parental types--an obligate selfer. And as amateur plant breeders, the dialog among THP cross-breeders would have discussions of known hybrid sterility between strains.

And BTW yes a triploid is always sterile, unless it undergoes another whole genome duplication making it an even-numbered hexaploid, which is probably how the all-purpose flour wheat got its ploidy.
Excellent comments, Jeff. Thanks!

hottoddy said:
whoa.jpg
I agree. Sounds like a plan I'd love to see how it turns out!!

Nicole

wildseed57 said:
How goes the little experiment Nigel, did any roots develope on stubby to were he started to grow?
Hi George,

Well, it`s been a bad time for stubby by and his cousins. No matter what I do they just will not grow. I`ve tried the rooting hormone etc and nothing has improved, in fact all but one have finally given up and died.

However, here is the one that hasn`t died yet,

Huuumm, looks hopeful as it is showing some leaf growth, to bad about the others. There is always another day maybe you will have better luck next time.

wildseed57 said:
Huuumm, looks hopeful as it is showing some leaf growth, to bad about the others. There is always another day maybe you will have better luck next time.
Setting up to give it another go in a week or so!

I'm only three days away from getting this as a research project! Seeing as 1% made Stubbies, you think I should stick to using less than that? I can't wait to see what happens with the ones that finish.

cruzzfish said:
I'm only three days away from getting this as a research project! Seeing as 1% made Stubbies, you think I should stick to using less than that? I can't wait to see what happens with the ones that finish.
cuzz, are you doing this in a lab or are you getting the choline to do it yourself? Either would be great and I can't wait for the results from you and Nigel.

Too bad to hear about Stubbs. I hardly knew him. :cry:

cruzzfish said:
I soaked the seeds in water for 16 hours or so, then into damp paper towel for a few days until they started showing signs of germinating. I then put them onto paper towel soaked in the colchicine solutions, in small plastic disposable cups. I used 0, 0.025%, 0.05% and 0.1%. Because colchicine is light-sensitive, I put the cups with seeds + colchicine-soaked paper towels in the dark for 72 hours, so that all the newly developing root systems would suck up the colchicine. 

I got nothing but stubby seedlings for both 0.1% and 0.05%. The single one that is growing that looks nothing like all the controls is the one show above. That was in the 0.025% group, along with 4 or 5 "normal" looking seedlings and 3 stubby ones. 

My suspicion is that these particular seeds are extremely susceptible to polyploidy, so next time I will either use lower concentrations, or, more likely, use different times of treatment. 

SciurusDoomus said:
cuzz, are you doing this in a lab or are you getting the choline to do it yourself? Either would be great and I can't wait for the results from you and Nigel.

Too bad to hear about Stubbs. I hardly knew him. :cry:
Depending on how much time my bio teacher wants to take out of her day/week to review my grow logs determines whether or not I have a lab to work in. I also have to keep the other bio teacher off the plants, I'm testing it with some peter peppers and that guy is kinda immature. I have to get the cholchicine myself anyway, and sadly I won't be able to get to work until early next school year. Hopefully they grow faster once it gets started.

Edit: Nigel, is that one growing a third leaf? I think you might have gotten it if it is.

cruzzfish said:
Depending on how much time my bio teacher wants to take out of her day/week to review my grow logs determines whether or not I have a lab to work in. I also have to keep the other bio teacher off the plants, I'm testing it with some peter peppers and that guy is kinda immature. I have to get the cholchicine myself anyway, and sadly I won't be able to get to work until early next school year. Hopefully they grow faster once it gets started.

Edit: Nigel, is that one growing a third leaf? I think you might have gotten it if it is.
Yep, it is indeed growing a third leaf. 

cruzzfish said:

Sounds interesting. I'm growing a few Peters myself. Have you ever grown them before? They're pretty quick going, even for annuum. I hope you get published just so the world can see what big peppers you grow.  :party:

SciurusDoomus said:
Sounds interesting. I'm growing a few Peters myself. Have you ever grown them before? They're pretty quick going, even for annuum. I hope you get published just so the world can see what big peppers you grow.  :party:
No, I haven't grown them before. I'm glad to hear they're quickly growing,  I knew annuums where, but not that they where any faster. I picked them because it was more interesting than a bell pepper.

Back