• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Secrets for Huge Production

Ciao all-

I've been looking at your plant photos and I'm noticing how large your plants get plus the production per plant is quite impressive. What are your secrets to this? Especially container growers, please speak up. Duane tries very hard, but he's never had plants get much over 3 ft tall and production varies, but isn't ever more than say 2 handfuls of fruit per plant at most. That's one reason he grows so many. Any advice you can give would be very useful.

Thanks so much!

I'd be interested in an answer too. I'm fighting malnutrition and aphids, had to prune some of my bigger plants... I'll be glad if I can get any humble harvest.

Ciao all-

Omri said "Theoretically - Florigen. Practically - Abnormal conditions." Were you referring to lighting here? You're typing at probably the only NON-tech-head in this forum. Please elaborate.

imaguitargod said "Love and good soil......mainly it's the good soil" D's growing his peppers in Pro-Mix BX in 5 gal containers. He'll most likely add a scoop of osmocote at planting time unless there's a strong consensus not to go that route. What do you all, especially those growing in containers, use for fertilizer?

A good potting soil in at least a 5 gal container. Full Sun.

You could even go a little bigger on the container.

My 2 cents.

If the sun beats down on your containers, I really believe burying them at least 3/4 of the way will really help. AJ noted last year how some of his plants grew roots outside the container and into the ground which tells me they were seeking water.

I know the ones I have in containers will be sunk into dirt this year.

Mike

wordwiz said:
If the sun beats down on your containers, I really believe burying them at least 3/4 of the way will really help. AJ noted last year how some of his plants grew roots outside the container and into the ground which tells me they were seeking water.

Mike

Only thing with that I'd worry about is the holes in the bucket getting clogged and it not draining. Don't know how much of a problem that would be just something I thought of.

An early start, full sun(especially morning sun), black containers, and warm feed water are great helpers for us Canadians needing some extra warmth.

Hi Sorellina what sort of fertilizer does Duane use NPK???
How about a mix of good soil, worm castings, blood and bone, dinamic lifter, lime????
Grant

Ciao all-

These have been great responses, thanks to all of you! Keep 'em comin'!

Duane uses Pro-Mix to seed, pot-up, and if he's using containers for the final destination. We like the BX formulation because it has Mycorrhyzia already in it. Normally, I add a scoop of that to my growing holes for my tomatoes and he's been doing the same. He doesn't fertilize at all for the seeding stages and I read that at least one of you, maybe it was AJ, fertilizes when they're very small. I would worry about frying them with too much nitrogen then, but I can't argue with the results I'm seeing. It's amazing, overwhelming really. When D pots his seedlings up into 16 oz cups, that's when he'll add some dilute Plant Prod 20:20:20 and when he transplants into his containers, he'll add a scoop of Osmocote. That's all we've both been doing. But his plants stay small, so maybe they're not getting enough nitrogen. I'd just hate huge plants and no fruit, you know? Sometimes that's the trade-off with nitrogen.

This forum moves insanely fast. I've never seen anything like it, but I learn so much every day from all of you. Thanks!

Start Early (January for me), keep em healthy (Only feed when needed), Water Deeply and infrequently, give them lots of light :)

I had Habaneros fruting all the way up to September-October, when the temps outside were in the 40-50 F range!

I also used Bloom Booster & Epsom Salt when they were fruiting/flowering.

I got several gallons worth of fruit, and that was half way through the year when I started putting my plants outside!

Hope that helps :)

wordwiz said:

Mike

Txclosetgrower said:
Only thing with that I'd worry about is the holes in the bucket getting clogged and it not draining. Don't know how much of a problem that would be just something I thought of.

Maybe it (burying) keeps the roots cooler and prevents them from cooking in the heat:?::think:

Back