• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds seed organization

My seed stock is growing as I'm starting to order varieties to grow for next season and I feel its about time I put things in better order. I like the idea of being able to see what and how much I have relatively quickly vs. dumping out the stash of baggies and looking at them one by one. I'm just curious how you guys have your seeds organized. Is there a particular container you've found that works best? Did you sort by alphabetical/heat level/colors...etc.? Currently I have several dozen 2"x3" zip baggies stuffed in a quart sized ziploc stashed in a dresser drawer. Thanks in advance!

See this thread.

My seed stock is growing as I'm starting to order varieties to grow for next season and I feel its about time I put things in better order. I like the idea of being able to see what and how much I have relatively quickly vs. dumping out the stash of baggies and looking at them one by one. I'm just curious how you guys have your seeds organized. Is there a particular container you've found that works best? Did you sort by alphabetical/heat level/colors...etc.? Currently I have several dozen 2"x3" zip baggies stuffed in a quart sized ziploc stashed in a dresser drawer. Thanks in advance!

Usually what I do is keep them in their little baggies, but I also put them in small envelopes. It helps me be a little more organized. I have been considering using bead storage containers that I saw at Michael's not too long ago. There were tons of little plastic rectangular, sealable containers in a bigger box. But, I figured what I have works, so no need on spending the extra money!

What about pill boxes? The big ones for multiple weeks? You can label them yourself and can put a fair amount of seeds in each compartment. Bead storage containers are pretty much the same thing with bigger compartments. Just don't shake them :-)

I have them in 1" x 2" zip lock baggies in 5s 10s and 20s all labeled and assigned a number these are inside a vacuumed sealed bag and in a tuperware tub in the bottom of my fridge and listed on a document on the laptop as to name, speices and a brief description.

trying to build a data base so this helps.

I like the spreadsheet/database idea. thanks for the tips guys. Now I just need to finalize the list to grow for next season.

This is how I keep mine. Tried to make the picture smaller.

DSCN0727.jpg

Back