seeds Seed sprouting experiment with Gibberellic Acid (GA3)

impending_bending said:
And now they have still done nothing. The batch I put in 500 ppm for 14 hours one day later have started germinating though...
mind posting some pics? 
Aren't they typically supposed to sprout within about 5 days with the GA3 also?

impending_bending said:
And now they have still done nothing. The batch I put in 500 ppm for 14 hours one day later have started germinating though...
Yea that's what I mean about finding the sweet spot. Or maybe it's just a fluke or something

Dude I ordered my GA3 from massspectrumbotanicals.com and the guys been lagging, not to mention not replying to my emails regarding why my order is still "processing". I'm considering finding another source especially since I was planning on sowing seed by the end of next week. Anyone got another solid plug for the stuff? I do not want to fall behind this season.

I got my kit from  JL Hudson.  Prices are higher than MSB, but I've always had reliable and prompt service from JLH.

Soaked in 150 PPM 24 hours, into jiffy pellets in germ chamber on heat mat today.

I did multiples of a few so some where soaked in one of three things. Filtered tap water, dilute chamomile tea, and/or 150 PPM Ga3.

Heres whats in:

MOA Scotch Bonnet- Tea, Ga3
MA Wiri Wiri- H2O, Tea, Ga3
Wild Brazil- H2O, Tea, Ga3
7 Pot Brown- H2O, Tea, Ga3
Fatalii- H2O, Tea, Ga3
Mustard Habanero- Tea, Ga3

Ill post the happenings from these.

Edit: Added Mustard Habanero

Update:

MA Wiri Wiri treated with Ga3 hooked after 4+ days

Wild Brazil one treated with Ga3 and one treated with mild Chamomile tea both hooked after 4+ days

More to come...

Happy Friday!

I will post updates with pics this weekend i hope. Its been interesting.....

Maybe tomorrow after shoveling. Ive been on vacation and motivation is hard to come by....

Ok im not sure if there is still interest but heres an update.

Again these seeds all got a 24 hour soak in either water, weak chamomile tea, or 150 ppm Ga3. They then went into jiffy pellets under dome on a heat mat on 12/15/13

Following are pictures and type, soak, days to sprout and text follows pots in pictures left to right...

Mustard Habanero. Tea, 8 days   Ga3, 8 days

MOA Scotch Bonnet. Tea, 5 days   Ga3, 6 days

MA Wiri Wiri. water, 6 days   Tea, 6 days   Ga3, 5 days

Wild Brazil.  Tea, 5 days   Ga3, 5 days

7 Pot Brown.  Tea, 6 days   Ga3, 7 days

Fatalii.  water, 7 days   Tea, 8 days   Ga3, 6 days

You can see any size difference thus far. 
Have a great weekend all!

PrimeTime said:
So we are talking about lye or caustic (still...for some reason)

These need to be neutralized or they will be made worse by hydrating.

They are to be neutralized with a safe acid which makes them able to rinse with water. 

I feel i listed skin safe acids like windex.

So if you dont agree, please post. PMing me with your grad school experience wont help these people.

sorry to sound like a ...

if you saw fight club.....that part is accurate...

not sure where you went to school....

anyway, Gib acid folks...
You're referencing a movie? LMAO windex doesn't even contain acid not to mention it's mostly water. Same with beer. Wine slightly acidic mostly water. Vinegar 95% water. They will all hydrate it. You obviously don't know what you're talking about and seem to be the one going on and on and on and on. IBgot off topic too but at least it was only for a couple posts. Don't know where either of you went to school but you sound like a bitter tech angry at everyone who is more educated than you. Fight club... Omg lol

Dont know what to tell you mrsauce. Im not sure about your comment on getting off topic as i dont see that you have posted here before. The movie reference was simply a scene most people know. Ive sprayed windex on base contacting my skin in a pinch followed by water and it works fine, thats just me. Beer, wine and vinegar are not acidic? Please post the info you have on this as i am interested in learning new things from more educated people. Not sure about the bitter tech comment sorry you feel that way. Seems like you simply posted to insult.

Thanks buddy!

So if we are over this im planning to spray with 150ppm this weekend at week 7. Is this the point people agree on the second application?

Let me know

No pics right now. Plants are good. They lost lower leaves a while back and are pretty much stalled out. Plant out is about 3 weeks away. Company got bought out and I've been busy but hopefully can post some pics before plant out.

All i can report at the moment is the GA3 plants started bigger than non GA3 but since plant out mothers day they are pretty stagnant. The few i have a control plant to compare show that the nonGA3 plants for the most part are podding unlike the ga3s that are doing nothing. we shall see as the season goes on but at the moment i have no plans to use it again.

Anybody else have updates?

Probably not worth it, but the back and forth about acids and bases is silly.  Both are not entirely correct - but it's probably more interpretation than absolute truth.  If you get lye crystals on you - it is bad - even without water.  Why - because your body is mostly water and the crystals will soon combine with the slight moisture on your skin, as it's always giving off moisture, and this will burn the skin and start an exothermic reaction (heat producing) which will burn even more,  release more water, and on and on.  Now if you get crystals on the skin - it's probably best to brush them off (though I would not look around for a brush if its not right there - and instead get a hose, shower, sink sprayer, or whatever and wash it off).  Then flush with lots of water - lots. If you attempt to use an acid at this time - with strong lye concentration, then an even worse exothermic reaction occurs (than with plain water) which can cause even worse burns.   With a solution of lye - it really depends on how concentrated.  But again flushing with water, then weak vinegar is probably best.  Not sure about windex - there are a few formulations (some with vinegar (acid) some with ammonia (base), and many others - not to mention windex-like cleaners) - and they contain other things I would probably not want in injured skin.  If the solution was really weak, then perhaps vinegar would be OK - but I would still rinse with water.  Don't let even a weak solution of lye sit on your skin - as you will not know it's causing a burn till it's too late - you can't feel it. Incidentally - the MSDS for solutions of lye - Sodium Hydroxide, don't call for using any acid just water.   I'm not sure I agree - but it may not make any difference if it's weak enough.  I'm pretty sure that the acid neutralization method is not recommended is because the average person can not be relied upon to know how strong the lye solution is - and if an exothermic reaction will burn them more - so using weak acids to treat lye spills on skin is simply not recommended at all. I think what Primetime does is probably just fine (though I will not use windex - well it's not handy anyway).

But the other side - acid is not acid because it's mostly water?  There are actually a few definitions of an acid - but the most appropriate one is that is is a water solution with an excess of [SIZE=14.3999996185303px] [/SIZE]hydronium ions .  So water is part of an acid (well technically this is not completely accurate - but water makes it reactive to biologic systems).   So the mention that beer (or the other things mentioned) is not acidic - is silly.  It is acidic - just not strongly so.  If it fell as rain - we would say it was acid rain (around PH 4 or less)! Beer ranges from 3.7 to 4.3 PH  - with some like a lambic with lower PH's = acidic.  From the statement about it being mostly water, it implies you should use no water to treat a lye exposure?  Actually lots of water is what is recommended.

I used Gibberellic Acid on squash one year.  I had a hard time finding it - and it seems like if I did it would take some chemical manipulation which I did not really want to do to use it.  I was browsing around at the local nursery and found Megagro - which I saw contained Potassium Gibberelate, a shelf-stable form of GA.  So I bought this and used it.  Seemed to do the trick - the plants started producing flowers anyway.  I also used it for seed germination but the results were not that encouraging (though not probably a sign of it not working - rather my methods were not very 'scientific').  The Megagrow website is pretty cheesy - and makes me wonder a bit at the product's actual ability to do all it claims. 'Growing Beyond Your Wildest Dreams' is the slogan - but they have not seen my dreams - or have they....

I am going to try it out this year for getting some plants to produce more fruits, namely my Scorpions, as well as some non-peppers like okra etc.   I'll post the results. 

well played Loki. As far as my findings only a few treated pepper plants seem to have benefited. Very few. I will look at the tags in my garden and post as its long overdue.

You didn't know vinegar was a base?

Enjoy the weekend folks!

loki said:

I am going to try it out this year for getting some plants to produce more fruits, namely my Scorpions, as well as some non-peppers like okra etc.   I'll post the results. 

Anxious to see your findings

:cool:
Kevin

Back