• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seed sprouting experiment with Gibberellic Acid (GA3)

So we're on day 6 of seeds being in the coco coir and so far I got 3 GA3 treated Peruvian Red Rocoto, 1 treated Bengal Naga that has sprouted. Well today I looked in and found that I now have 1 Brazilian Ghost pepper sprouted

And remember I said I was doing a few other experiments? Well one of those was I soaked 4 7 pot Savannah seeds in a 1000 ppm GA3 solution for 14 hours and I planted them on November 3rd. Well it's been 3 days and 2 of them have sprouted

Still have 0 untreated seeds sprouted. Of course I'm not saying 100% that GA3 is definitely making a difference but it sure seems like it. Especially since not a single untreated seed has popped yet.

Vegas_Chili said:
Very nice! Where did you buy the acid? That I can probably use to germinate some wilds. Seems legit.
, Walter
I bought mine from wwwmassspectrumbotanicals.com he's in Tampa. Very cheap prices but my only complaint was that it took a week and a half to get from FL to here in Alabama. You can find it all over on eBay though. I am trying it out on C. Tovarii and C. Galapagoense. So far none of them have germinated. I figure if without treatment they can take up to 6-7 months that the GA3 may make it a little quicker but still take 4+ months more than likely. I might make a stronger solution and soak a few more. Too strong and it will kill them though so you have to find just the right balance. But if someone was to come up and ask me if it was worth buying, I would say to give it a shot for sure.

I also just got some IBA and NAA in the mail today. They are also PGR'S but are used for rooting. Same exact stuff in commercial rooting powders/gel. Clonex, Olivia 's, etc all use IBA most of them don't even use NAA except some of the high dollar ones. I made a 8000 ppm IBA/3000 ppm NAA gel by mixing them with pure Lanolin (heated to a liquid) and allowing to cool back down and am trying it out on some cuttings as we speak

Two years ago I did an experiment with the ga3 on two small plants of habanero red and some seeds.Two plants treated with a solution of 150 ppm GA3 once only

This is the foto of 24 05 2011

41hn.jpg

This is the photo of 01 06 2011

ysxu.jpg

The seeds are treated with three different ways : GA3 , NAA, H2O soak for four hours , later on absorbent paper. This photo of 24 05 2011

vzlr.jpg

After a week ( 01 06 2011 )

H2O

asb3.jpg

NAA

hkvc.jpg

GA3

sxro.jpg

That's awesome discus69. I haven't actually sprayed the plants yet but have been debating it. Did you only use GA3 in the spray or did you mix it with another PGR?

I'm going to soak some seeds in a 150 ppm solution and see if I have results like you did. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Great, I just made a 150 ppm solution lol. I will be spraying my plants a little later, after the lights turn off. I had read about NAA being used for germination but I was slightly skeptical so I didn't try it. I've got 5 grams of it though so I'm going to be testing it as well. Thanks

Very interesting stuff. I can get this stuff local but its not cheap but if those results discus69 is showing are something I could harness, hell I'd pay that.

How far will 1g get you and what is the general quantity to mix to get 150ppm

Coheed196 for NAA I have used this product http://www.lgobbi.it/en/scheda.php?id=11

Sarge I did weigh 0.3 grams of ga3 pharmacist then I dissolved in 5 ml of alcohol. I added 95 ml of distilled water. I got 100 ml of solution. I took 15 ml of solution and added 285 ml of water to obtain 300 ml of a 150 ppm solution with which I sprayed the plants. ;)

Sarge said:
Very interesting stuff. I can get this stuff local but its not cheap but if those results discus69 is showing are something I could harness, hell I'd pay that.

I wouldn't get it locally then man. You can get like 5 grams on eBay for $10 or so....

1 gram will make more than enough to soak seeds in. If you want to spray it, you may want to get more. For example I literally just made another batch of 150 ppm solution about 30 minutes ago. I made 1.128 liters. (1,128ml) to make that 150 ppm I used 0.188 grams (188mg) of GA3. A little goes a long way. I you made that strength in that amount of water you could make 7.8 batches.

discus69 said:
Thanks coheed196 ! Yes, I sprayed it only. in this photo you see the difference of the leaves

40dg.jpg
Discus69, ive read that other folks not on this site experienced odd fruiting when used. Any info from you on that? I dont remember what or where i read this but i think it was with eggplant and some fruit turned out oddly shaped and internally formed. As well i think i read some studies that suggested not eating the fruits.

Cool stuff either way

PrimeTime said:
Discus69, ive read that other folks not on this site experienced odd fruiting when used. Any info from you on that? I dont remember what or where i read this but i think it was with eggplant and some fruit turned out oddly shaped and internally formed. As well i think i read some studies that suggested not eating the fruits.

Cool stuff either way
I'm not sure on the odd shaped fruit, I've never read it but it's possible. As far as eating the fruit, you definitely can, you have eaten it a thousand times I promise. GA3 can be used and still be labeled organic by OMRI. They use it on any seedless fruit (grapes, watermelon, anything seedless) it's used on apples and walnuts, lemons. It delays ripening so that the fruit stays fresh while shipping. It's a naturally occurring fungus. That's how it was first discovered.

Cool. I almost pulled the trigger on this stuff last year but didnt for some reason. I think it was on amazon or ebay pretty cheap.

The fruits were larger and many products, and as says coheed196, the ga3 is commonly used in agriculture. I have produced a sauce of ketchup name reversed. if you want then you post the recipe ;)

0l33.jpg

coheed196 said:
That's awesome discus69. I haven't actually sprayed the plants yet but have been debating it. Did you only use GA3 in the spray or did you mix it with another PGR?

I'm going to soak some seeds in a 150 ppm solution and see if I have results like you did. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Cool thread. I dont recommend spraying entire plants with GA3 alone. Alone on plant tissues it mostly just causes cell stretching (which is what makes it so useful for sprouting many kinds of seeds). GA3 alone should only be expected to cause a plant to stretch out real tall, and if you apply too much or for too long plants will eventually keep stretching until they fall over under their own weight. GA3 as a standalone chem is best used for specific purposes such as seeds sprouting, spraying young grape bunches to trigger seedless, to force male flowering on female plants, etc.

However, GA3 can still be used to press extreme growth, but it needs to be balanced out with auxin & cytokinin so that as the cells are stretching they're also dividing / thickening wwith the plant developing nodes / branching all in the mix. Several times over the past few years I've whipped up a 'trifecta' batch (GA3+IAA+6BA) in the 1 gallon pump sprayer and go around my 'jungle' and spray everything as I go until it runs out. I've never had any problems from 'bad' growth across my hundreds of different species of exotic plants. Either they've responded positively to the dose (sometimes very dramatically), or they dont respond. A hardwood tree isn't going to respond as a tomato plant or tender succulent would to any given dose (i.e. I've had papayas explode wtih growth and flowers where the citrus at that dose did hardly nothing too noticable).
Sarge said:

With my current 91.1% batch I'm offering 1 scoop makes slightly over half a liter, and there are slightly more than 10 scoops per gram. So the stuff goes a long way.

So i think I'm gonna grab some G3 from amazon tomorrow for the upcoming season. My current plan is to soak some seeds in 150ppm overnight then into my germ chamber. I am also planning to spray them once with the same 150 ppm solution. Does this sound right and when should i hit the plants with the spray?

All opinions welcomed!

Back