• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds seed starting in premium soils

anyone had any trouble starting from seed in premium soil? specifically i tried using foxfarm ocean forest.....my seeds rotted....

i had better luck using miracle grow seed starter blended with vermiculite and perlite....

just wondering if anyone else has had problems or if maybe i've got some bum seeds

hotenuff4u said:
anyone had any trouble starting from seed in premium soil? specifically i tried using foxfarm ocean forest.....my seeds rotted....

i had better luck using miracle grow seed starter blended with vermiculite and perlite....

just wondering if anyone else has had problems or if maybe i've got some bum seeds

Just use the lightest soil you can find,Or Cocoa Coir which is very light to..No need for vermiculite or Perlite..just the lightest soil..A.J Uses a good one but im not sure what it is obviously differnt soils in the u.s :)

IMO any potting soil compacts too much to allow the roots to grow very well...that is why I have settled on the soil-less seed starting mixes such as Hoffmans or Jiffy...not saying you have to do it this way, this is just the way I do it...

Isn't it the one with fertilizer in it?

its all organic, doesn't even have a NPK rating so i dunno

Just use the lightest soil you can find,Or Cocoa Coir which is very light to..No need for vermiculite or Perlite..just the lightest soil..A.J Uses a good one but im not sure what it is obviously differnt soils in the u.s

i've been reading up on coco, sounds pretty good, thinking about using all coco all next year, but for seed starting i can still use coco or rockwool for the remainder of this year haven't decided whick to use yet

IMO any potting soil compacts too much to allow the roots to grow very well...that is why I have settled on the soil-less seed starting mixes such as Hoffmans or Jiffy...not saying you have to do it this way, this is just the way I do it...

i have a second batch of 7's and trinnys i just started yesterday...again with foxfarm but i added verm. and per. this time like i did when i first started earlier in the year...you think i should just pull these seeds out and go get some soil-less, i know my local "weed shop" sells coco and rockwool, but i havent seen any jiffy or hoffmans that i can remember

I wouldn't distrub the seeds you have just planted...but...I would recommend at least trying a small bit of the soil-less media to see if it does well for you...just use some cheap generic seeds off the rack at Walmart to test it with...the stuff is not cheap...like a dollar a quart...

Best seed starting material I have ever used is Pro-Mix BX, by far. Stays moist, but not wet. Fastest germination. Amazing root growth from the start.

I thought Pro-Mix BX was a simple peat, perlite, vermiculite mix. it is pretty good, but also pretty common. I buy a lot of different brads with the same content and sometimes make my own. I even get the same mix with coco instead of peat and it's cheaper.

I just used some of that fox farm and it has a ton of stuff in it like fish emulsion and organic ferts. I think even the low grade ferts in the foxfarm will be too much for the seeds to handle. I just used peat pucks and of the 140 or so seeds I ended up getting around 130 to harvest.

Omri said:
I thought Pro-Mix BX was a simple peat, perlite, vermiculite mix. it is pretty good, but also pretty common. I buy a lot of different brads with the same content and sometimes make my own. I even get the same mix with coco instead of peat and it's cheaper.

I'm not sure what it is about the Pro-Mix, germination has never been a problem with most stuff I've used, but after they sprout they just seem to go to the next level really quick. Maybe it's the Mycorise, I don't know. I just found something that works really well for me and I had my best seedlings ever with it.

AlabamaJack said:
the stuff is not cheap...like a dollar a quart...

AJ,

I use Ferti-lome and it is great, at least compared to the cheap potting soil I used last year. Germination rates, root formation, seedling growth, water retention without staying soggy - all rate at the top of the line. But a dollar a quart - no way. Closer to a buck a gallon. Forty quarts cost $11 and change after tax.

Mike

Back