• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedling Heating Mat

Well, just baught one today and the instructions are a bit vague to say the least. So instead of giving my "Pauli Effect" any extra fuel, who here has used these?

I need to know:
1. Do you place the mat inbetween the strater cells and the tray or just under the tray?
2. Do I absolutly have to close up the starter tray or can I leave the top off.
3. Should I run this thing 24/7? (I'm guessing yes).

imaguitargod said:
Well, just baught one today and the instructions are a bit vague to say the least. So instead of giving my "Pauli Effect" any extra fuel, who here has used these?

I need to know:
1. Do you place the mat inbetween the strater cells and the tray or just under the tray?
2. Do I absolutly have to close up the starter tray or can I leave the top off.
3. Should I run this thing 24/7? (I'm guessing yes).

1. Just under the tray
2. I dont guess it matters, but I'd think you could leave it on until they start to sprout.
3. Yep, I leave mine on all the time.

What klyth said, except for #2. If you're using shallowish starting containers, no lid is fine. For deeper ones, though, the temperature can drop up to 10 degrees from the mat to the soil surface if the surrounding air temperatures are cool.

Pam said:
What klyth said, except for #2. If you're using shallowish starting containers, no lid is fine. For deeper ones, though, the temperature can drop up to 10 degrees from the mat to the soil surface if the surrounding air temperatures are cool.

The cells are 2.25 inches deep (5.715cm or 57.150mm GrumpyBear ;) ). Does that count as the "deeper ones"?

imaguitargod said:
The cells are 2.25 inches deep (5.715cm or 57.150mm GrumpyBear ;) ). Does that count as the "deeper ones"?

No, that's pretty standard. Unless it's really cold where the seeds are, they should be fine.

i use a zoo-med reptile heater i had from when i had lizards, i put a piece of cardboard between it and my tray it gets pretty warm :mouthonfire: i kept the lid on my burpee seed started until they got to tall for the lid to stay on

imaguitargod said:
The cells are 2.25 inches deep (5.715cm or 57.150mm GrumpyBear ;) ).

*claps* yay! soon i'll have you on metric time too!

imaguitargod said:
Yaaa!!! So, now all I need to do is wait for some action...uhhh...from the plants...

are the plants coming on to you?

GrumpyBear said:
are the plants coming on to you?
Well, one of them was eyeballing me and it kept showing me it's embrionic leaves. I had to let it down though, I'm just not a one seedling sort of guy.

imaguitargod said:
Well, one of them was eyeballing me and it kept showing me it's embrionic leaves. I had to let it down though, I'm just not a one seedling sort of guy.
Seedsling? you sick bastard! they're just kids!!!

I have the Perfect Heating Mat. A Water Bed.......just put the tray on, and watch it grow ! ! !
OK........Call me a Hippie from the Early 60's......

now he is really getting out there...talking about sleeping with his young seedlings.....

I use a waterbed heater. There was an extra one laying aroung and I didn't see a need to buy something. It's on 24/7 but since it has a thermostat, and the germinator has a glass top, I doubt it run all that much.

Mike

and i like your setup mike...its cool..

AlabamaJack said:
now he is really getting out there...talking about sleeping with his young seedlings.....

Oh you're just jealous because your wife won't let you sleep with yours.

she let me bring a few in the bedroom with us...she really did...

Back