• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seedling issue

2010-02-20%2008.08.59.jpg

So this is what my poor seedlings look like now. WTF! I water I have 2 100 watt and 2 47 watt compact fluorescents for this one small tray of 48 seeds. They are warm am I missing something? I must be :crazy:

#1: Those look BONE dry
#2: Those seedlings are LEGGY as F*&!

Water them ASAP, and bring the lights closer... I bring mine 3 inchs from the CFLs and they are doing great.

agree, looks very dry. Poor things =) can be hard when they have grown that long to get them to recover. More light!

BigJosh if you cannot tell yourself what is wrong, then you won't learn from your mistakes. Pepper starts can be very tricky and you have to stay on top of them to keep the right moisture in the plugs. Growing plants is trial and error, all the best growers have made the most mistakes and learned what works and what doesn't. I don't think may people have great success with the jiffy plugs your using either. Better luck next time.

You might be able to salvage a few of those but a lot of them look like they are done for. Might want to try another method. The thing about growing them are that you have to constantly babysit them at this stage
Be the mother hen and watch over those seedlings

Yeah peat pods will dry out very quickly, even more so when 85% of the peat pod is exposed to the air. If a seedling that young dries out and wilts, it has maybe a few hours before it's too late (I.E. perminant damage). Make sure they are sitting in a small pool of water, so they suck moisture from the bottom up. Then you wont have to babysit them as much.

The Jiffy pellets do look very dry!!

Not so long ago, I myself was letting my Jiffy's get a little too dry....... but not that dry. Now I keep them quite moist (even wet at times) and so far haven't noticed any over-watering issues.

As for using Jiffy pellets, it has been rather successful for me and I have had much better germination rates using them. But who knows? Maybe the Seed Raising Mix I was using wasn't the best for chillies either.........

I detest jiffy pots...and this is the reason why...they are NOT forgiving whereas the seed starting mix I use is a lot more forgiving...

sorry for your losses...chin up and get some more started though....don't let a little setback cause you to get disappointed...shit happens and as long as we learn from our mistakes, we can become better gardeners....

To me peat pots and peat pellets are two different things. The thangs in the pic are pellets, the pots are the square container things made out of compressed peat that you fill with whatever medium/seed startin' mix you use.

You have to keep the peat pellets moist. Keep them at around 80+ degrees F, rip off the netting and transplant to like a 4" container before the roots come through. (even if they're through a bit, I don't trip- I just take it easy on em.)

I've always had good luck w/ peat pellets. I hate peat pots and pretty much all seed starting peat mixes. The pots always seem to suck any moisture outta the medium- and if you have a peat based seed startin' mix in one of those pots- things can get pretty jive pretty quick.

I planted pellets side by side w/ rockwool starter cubes this year. The rockwool germed better, but the peat ones took off (grew) faster.

I was calling them the same thing...I stand corrected but still wouldn't use them....ever...

can you tell I have had a bad experience with them?

I also used the peat pellets this year and had success with them. You do have to keep an eye on them as they dry out quickly but besides that they are a convenient way to start your seeds. Try some seeds again, keep em moist and keep the lights right on them and you will do awesome!

AlabamaJack said:

You must have- anyway, whatever you're doin'it obviously ain't broke/doesn't need fixin! :)

My favorite starter is a sorta spongy weird thing I call hydro or grow plugs. I love' em. A synthetic, sterile, sorta spongey material.Always use them formy difficult to germ seeds. Kinda on the spendier side tho.

AlabamaJack said:
I was calling them the same thing...I stand corrected but still wouldn't use them....ever...

:lol:

the other thing is, if I was growing as many plants as you, AJ, I probably wouldn't be using them either.... in the long run, I think they would actually require more effort.

but right now, they work for me, and anything that is working for me at the moment is a breath of relief!

boutros said:
To me peat pots and peat pellets are two different things. The thangs in the pic are pellets, the pots are the square container things made out of compressed peat that you fill with whatever medium/seed startin' mix you use.

You have to keep the peat pellets moist. Keep them at around 80+ degrees F, rip off the netting and transplant to like a 4" container before the roots come through. (even if they're through a bit, I don't trip- I just take it easy on em.)

I've always had good luck w/ peat pellets. I hate peat pots and pretty much all seed starting peat mixes. The pots always seem to suck any moisture outta the medium- and if you have a peat based seed startin' mix in one of those pots- things can get pretty jive pretty quick.

I planted pellets side by side w/ rockwool starter cubes this year. The rockwool germed better, but the peat ones took off (grew) faster.

boutros,

Thats a great idea to keep the peat pellets moist and also to encourage early root growth.

Thanks for the tip!

Burpee sells coir pellets. They're much better than peat and they cost the same. Also get a light on top of them as soon as they sprout

I have had great luck using the peat pellets, you just need to keep them wet. As I have found if they are not allowed to sit in water you can keep them soaking wet and the roots will be fine, but if they sit in water then you can get bad root rot and kill the little fellers.

I am using peat pellets too this year, having good luck with them. 5 trays of 72 up and flourishing, 6 trays in sprouting stage. Moisture is important but if it gets too humid lift the dome for a while to let air in or you may get mold. Once they are up I move those pellets to another tray under the lights. I also pot up as soon as they have true leaves, tear the netting off the pellets when you pot them.

Back