• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedling Water Requirements

I have 5 choc hab seedlings, about 4-6 inches tall, onto their 3rd or 4th set of leaves. I've planted them in the garden and am considering setting up a watering station, 2 gal container w/ a hose and some drippers.

We are currently in drought here in Brisbane, and my water tank is nearly dry and I'm out most days for the best part of the day, so that's the reason behind the water station.

Being planted amongst other plants, they are part-shaded and mulched. I understand that there are lots of variables to consider, but a ball park watering amount is what I'm after.

Having my priorities right, I'm not concerned about the other plants, just the chillis.

Any suggestions on rates?? Perhaps the have it emptying the 2 gal contianer every 4 days?

Cheers,

RS

9L every 4 days sounds like too much for 5 seedlings, but that's by container gardening standards, not sure on correct amount if they are in the ground.

Thanks LB, the other way to think about it might be drips per min?

Just looking for a ball park figure. No nutes, soil is pretty fertile.

RS

There are 600 drops/ounce. 600x256(ounces in 2 gallons) =153600 drops in 2 gallons. 5760 minutes in 4 days. 153600 ÷ 5760 = 26.666666666666667 drops per minute to give the plants 2 gallons every 4 days. Right?

ABurningMouth said:
There are 600 drops/ounce. 600x256(ounces in 2 gallons) =153600 drops in 2 gallons. 5760 minutes in 4 days. 153600 ÷ 5760 = 26.666666666666667 drops per minute to give the plants 2 gallons every 4 days. Right?

+1

I just wait till they wilt slightly then drench them. There is no real science. It's almost like a cactus. If you water the way I they will develop strong, deep roots.:)

chillilover said:
I just wait till they wilt slightly then drench them. There is no real science. It's almost like a cactus. If you water the way I they will develop strong, deep roots.:)

That's exactly what I read. Let the soil dry out so the roots are forced to search for water and in the process grow longer.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Nice link orangehero!

Problem with waiting for the plants to wilt is that they are up the back in a forgotten corner, and I'm forgetful....

so, subterranean drip system perhaps??

RS

ring sting said:
Thanks everyone for your input.

Nice link orangehero!

Problem with waiting for the plants to wilt is that they are up the back in a forgotten corner, and I'm forgetful....

so, subterranean drip system perhaps??

RS

What? You don''t go check on your babies multiple times a day?:shocked:

chillilover said:
What? You don''t go check on your babies multiple times a day?:shocked:

This is becomming a very bad habbit for me. I was hoping my neighbors didnt see me and start to think I was strange, always checking on these plants LoL.

Forget the neighbors.
That's why they're called babies. They can't fend for themselves.
Anyway, I have cut down on my daily chores by putting a water reservoir under them with a wick providing a couple days moisture/nutes. Some of my plants haven't been watered for a couple months because of our weekly rains. Although the water can get a bit dead smelling. So I dump it and refresh once in a while. They also absorb moisture moisture at night from the air and store it in the tank below.
The plants never get droopy leaves or try to build a huge root system. Sort of like hydroponics without any electricity.
I haven't got the nute thing completely worked out though. I just rinse out the media when the plant starts growing slower or gets yellow (from ph imbalance, too much salts built up, or whatever). Also the soil/media has to be an airy mixture with visible air holes/porosity's, so it has enough aerobic bacteria activity and oxygenated root area.
In my opinion the soil shouldn't be allowed to dry out because the growth halts until it gets some more water.
That was an abstract rant without any cohesion. Comments, questions, or corrections welcome. I used to keep this info secret, but now it's open source.

ABurningMouth said:

That makes my head hurt.

Get yourself a watering mat and place the containers on it. The plants will then take what they need when they need it. I have never had any rot or other fungus issues and my seedlings have always been very healthy.

Back