• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seeds from frozen peppers

I've had abot a 50/50 sucess rate with mine....obviously i think the 'freshest' frozen ones have the best chance

it also depends on how ripe the pods were when frozen; seeds from unripe peppers typically wont germinate, let alone after being frozen; i've also had a 50/50 success rate, heres how i did it:
remove frozen pods, let them thaw on the counter, take the pods apart being careful not to pierce the seeds (you may want to wear gloves). make a weak tea solution, allow it to cool to room temperature, lay the seeds out on a plate between to paper towels, pour tea solution over them, put seed plate on top of something warm (television, old refridgerator, or just in a warm place) once germination begins, move them to a warm pot of soil and keep it in a warm place
typically thats how i get my best luck with seeds that have had a rough life. you can ignore the solution, but make sure you let them come up to temperature slowly, and once up to temperature leave them in a warm place to germinate
hope that helps

One theory is that the tannin in the tea helps soften the seed coat, in which case black tea would provide the most tannin. However, others have claimed that the chamomile tea help prevent fungus and damp-off ;)

Novacastrian said:
I thought the seeds had to be dried first, shows what a noob i am!

So did I! So fresh seeds are good to go? No need to dry them first?

Drying them first did seem counterproductive but i've read so many articles about proper drying of seeds so i assumed it was a neccessary step. I guess that's just for long term storage?

Yep, drying if for storage and especially freezing. You could be lucky and get frozen, fresh ("moist") seeds to germinate but don't count on it. The water in the cells expand when frozen so that the cells basically explode. But the good part of freezing is that if the seeds are really dry they can keep for decades.

I have had only low germination rates with frozen chillis....

But in saying that you only need one to germinate and then you will have hundreds of fresh ones....depending on the variety....

Back