• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

senior citizen peppers

Whats the oldest super hot plants you guys+gals have growing?? Pics are a plus! I have seen some pushing 4 years but not too sure how much longer they remain productive...

I have one that is 2 years old, it stays put in the same place in the ground and gets no attention at all except to pick the pods!

I would be interested to see one that's pushing a decade or two since I've heard they can produce that long if in the right climate. I'd expect it to be pretty huge.

I seem to remember back when i was a kid (this was about 20 years ago) that we had a siling labuyo bush that lived for about four years. For those who dont know what it is, it looks a lot like thai bird's eye peppers but of a local variety. Labuyo in the northern filipino dialect where the name came from means 'wild'.

Anyway, it had stopped producing and we planted a new one.

Gonna grow my plants for as long as they yield peppers.

This is a 9-yr old purira that's still producing pretty well.
I don't grow superhots often.

purira9.jpg

My Father-in Law had several Thai pepper plants that he grew for like 10 or 12 years. They looked more like a tree than a pepper plant. Easily over 5 foot tall. They finally kicked the bucket and he brought some of the pods over so I could start him some new plants. I now have 13 new Thai pepper plants growing for him. Hope they last as long!

Charles

back when i was growing up, and we had a few puerto rican hot pepper plants that lived upwards of 5 or 6 years each. no winters over there though.

one of my grandmother's cleaning ladies brought us hot pepper vinegar for about 10 years straight, all from a single plant.

I had a customer in Baton Rouge LA that had a 12 yo aji that was over 10 foot tall growing in her back yard, the pods looked exactly like a Caribbean red pod, just no
heat. She told me her maid had brought the seeds with her when she came to the US from Brazil.

The last house we lived in had a 10 year old Kona Red Hawaiian.pepper growing in the front yard, sorry no pictures but did get a Chile or two have two growing now
only 6" tall. check back in a couple of years.

Tigahb8 said:
I had a customer in Baton Rouge LA that had a 12 yo aji that was over 10 foot tall growing in her back yard, the pods looked exactly like a Caribbean red pod, just no
heat. She told me her maid had brought the seeds with her when she came to the US from Brazil.

Hmm...smells like a winner here...

HawaiiAl said:
The last house we lived in had a 10 year old Kona Red Hawaiian.pepper growing in the front yard, sorry no pictures but did get a Chile or two have two growing now
only 6" tall. check back in a couple of years.

Do those get big?

Back