• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

SERIOUSLY the best sauce I have ever tasted!

I just came across several pounds of nice, RIPE, fruity jalapeno's, and thought I would make a fermented sauce but then I had another idea. ...

SMOKE SAUCE !!

IMG_20120810_194349.jpg

I sliced every one of them, and smoked them over apple wood. I let the fire get pretty warm so it was smoke, roast, and soften all at once. I had to do 3 batches.

IMG_20120811_143745.jpg

While the peppers were smoking (about 90 minutes) I roasted several heads of garlic.

IMG_20120811_165051.jpg

Juices SEVERAL lemons, and limes.

IMG_20120811_170138.jpg

once everything was roasted/SMOKED (even a few apples, and onions) I ran everything through the food mill.

IMG_20120811_172808.jpg

IMG_20120811_172815.jpg

The "sauce" came out THICK like tomato paste, but smelled insanely delicious!!!

IMG_20120811_180510.jpg

added all the lime, lemon, AC vinegar, brown sugar, molasses, and water.....SIMMER!

BLEND !!

IMG_20120811_182540.jpg

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH and SILKY !!!!!

IMG_20120811_223840.jpg

Very smokey, but not over the top, surprising level of heat, and the snap of the citrus plays so well off the brown sugar. Round it our with a tang from a little AC vinegar, and this stuff is a homerun !!!!

KAT

Thanks Katrina... I guess I'll have to experiment with smoke-roasting over a charcoal fire. I have a barrel-type of smoker that I can set up for indirect grilling that might do the trick. Not having done it before I don't really know how many briquets or lumps to use to get a fire that's hot enough but not too hot. I guess I'll just have to start with 10-12 briquets and add as needed. Thanks for the recipe!

Looks more roasted than smoked. Smoked would have been chipotle. This is more sriracha. I want some!

I'll ask though... did it taste more chipotle or sriracha?

Thanks Katrina... I guess I'll have to experiment with smoke-roasting over a charcoal fire. I have a barrel-type of smoker that I can set up for indirect grilling that might do the trick. Not having done it before I don't really know how many briquets or lumps to use to get a fire that's hot enough but not too hot. I guess I'll just have to start with 10-12 briquets and add as needed. Thanks for the recipe!
Just get it hot then as it cools close to right temp start your cooking process. I always start 275/300 then let it back down to around 215 - 225.

Thanks for the recipe, it really does look great.

I just threw about 3 pounds of red jalapenos in the dehydrator this morning and if I would have seen this earlier I would be making some sause right now. It looks great and i'm gonna put it in my recipe box!

Hi Katrina
Made a 5 pound batch of your sauce this past weekend and love the way it came out! only thing you left out was how much water you used. I just added enough to almost cover the peppers so I could simmer them in my dutch oven until soft enough to run through the food mill. After That, the puree still looked too thick... almost the consistency of tomato paste, so I added some more water until it looked right. The final product is about as thick as ketchup, or a trifle thicker. Is that what you were shooting for?

I love a good smoked sauce :).

In florida, I didn't really have access to apple wood, but I did have a variety of (dead) citrus trees to experiment with... Cumquat or Orange quickly became my favorite...

Now that I live further north, I'm going to be on the look out for apple wood.

This sounds quite good and I would like to try my hand at making some sauce. Question, is the food mill really necessary if you're using the Vita Mix?

While a good blender whether Vita mix or other will get you a nice consistency if you want a sauce that is silky smooth to quote Katrina then yes you'll want to use one.

In the Culinary world we would use a Chinoise to get the smooth silky mouth feel from sauce food mills are basically for removing larger pieces which I think a Vita mix would do just by pureeing the sh*^ out of it. Hey I'm not arguing here I'm just asking. When I want something really smooth I use one of these http://www.le-sanctuaire.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ls&Category_Code=Superbag and add probably 1% or so xanthan gum to increase the viscosity and refine the mouth feel.
I am still going to try this recipe, perhaps I will have my students do it in class and let the other classes try some. We will for sure be making sauces in Garde Manger next semester and I'm freezing chiles as we speak.
Thanks for the insight.

Back