• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SETHSQUATCH GROW BIG LOG WITH puny hammer

Ok. I'm in the ring. This is really my first year growing from seed and may as well be my first year ever. Last year we had a bag garden (which was pretty weak), and Justaguy contributed a couple of bucket plants later in the season (awesome).

So, just to get this out in the open early, I'm a little OCD. DANGER PLANTS! DANGER! FLEE FROM THE FURRY ONE! My natural tendency is to, well, let's just call it over-love my plants. "You like fertilizer? Well you'll love it straight from the bottle!"

One of my bigger hurdles is to just let the plants do their thing. I mean, I have grown up in a culture of drive-thru instant gratification, which doesn't exactly breed patience… But I'm working on it. Trying to tread gently through the grow instead of STOMP STOMP TEAR BREAK YELL. So far, so goodish?

Well I currently have 93 babies and about that many more in the germination station. Did I mention I like to go all out when starting a project? Does my car need a ejector seat and a rocket engine? Absolutely. Do I need cybernetic appendages and the ability to shoot lasers from my eyes? Most definitely.

Sooooooo. 93 plants. Alive and growing under lights. Here is my count as of this morning.

Scorpion (Moruga) (Justaguy)- 11
Scorpion (Butch T) (Alphaeon by way of Jstaguy)- 7
Brain Strain
(Justaguy) - 1
Yellow 7 pot/pod (Justaguy) - 3
Douglah (cmpman) - 8
Fatalii (Pepper Guru)- 8
Avery Island Tabasco - 4
Thai Fire
(Justaguy) - 13
Caribbean Red Habanero (Justaguy) - 26
Aji Yellow (Aji Joe) - 6
Naga x 7 pot/pod cross (Justaguy) - 1
Chinese Cabbage, Autumn Torch Hybrid - 3
Unknown pepper - 4

Here is a list of what's in the germination station right now.

Bhut Indian Carbon x Yellow 7 cross (Spicegeist by way of MJdiamond)
Criolla De Cocina (MJdiamond)
Biker Billy Jalapenos
Tabasco
Early Girl Tomatoes
Genovese Basil
Cilantro
Broccoli
Chinese Cabbage Autumn Torch Hybrid

Poblano
Cayenne
Hot Cherry
Dill
Nu mex

My initial germination of the first round of seedlings was done in peat pellets. They came with the tray so I figured I'd use them. NEVER AGAIN. Those things were a real pain in the ass to keep properly moistened. As soon as I could, I removed my sprouts from them and transferred into seed starting mix. Lost a few on the way but nothing to worry about. It's pretty likely I will be sharing some of these plants with some friends the way it is.

I kept my light on 24/7 for the first 2 weeks and then switched to an 18/6 cycle. Right now I am top watering and misting as needed. I was told that top watering helps get rid of all the bad buildups in the soil. Don't know if that's true or not, but whatever. I am trying to base my watering on tray weight. For nutrients I am using Pro Bloom, Liquid Karma, and a weekly compost tea brewed for 24 hours with an air stone in a bucket. All of my water also sits out for at least 24 hours before use to eliminate any chlorine.

Now, I really want to switch soil at this point but I am going to resist. For one, it costs more than I can swing right now.

My setup has evolved from one 2 bulb light fixture to a modified in ceiling fluorescent donated and wired by Justaguy. I drilled some holes, added u-bolts, and used carabiners and chains to hang the fixture from the bar in the closet. This way I can adjust as needed for light height. I can raise one side higher as well if necessary, which is also nice. I have some reflective film on the back wall and closet door to help recapture and reflect some of that escaping light. That's it. My setup.

Here are some pics. I will update with a million questions, and progress as I am able. My next post will probably be showing my outside grow area once the damn rain stops and I can snap some pictures. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Initial setup:

Upgrade:

Peppers 2/29/12 (just one tray but they are pretty similar):

Those Bhut IC x Yellow 7's look pretty mean dude. And, you've gotta hook me up with whatever steroids you're feeding those plants, they're monsters!

Bunch of plant photos I took on the 8th of July! Including the first color!

tomatoes

thaifire-782012

Thanks for this baby PG! It's loving it's new home in the smart pot!

Smart-pot-rooster-spur-782012

Poblanos782012

Naga-Morich-cross-782012

Fatalii782012

Air-pot-CRH-782012

Man, the smart pots are amazing. If I could sew or buy all smart pots, I totally would. I have noticed a HUGE difference in growth compared to my bucket plants. This week should be perfect fruit set weather. I am going to be giving them a dose of some nutes to promote flower growth later today!

Chili Cheers!

Awesome looking plants and poddage bro!!! Its nice to see they are really starting to take off for you! Well done!!! :clap:

Awesome looking plants and poddage bro!!! Its nice to see they are really starting to take off for you! Well done!!! :clap:

Thanks brother!

I'm going to set a picture of your poblanos next to my plants - so they'll understand what their goal is!!!!! :D

Ha. They look bigger than what they are because of how the were photographed.

Here are some more photos from TODAY! Color is kicking on a couple of my random peppers I planted out and left to the elements. Both the cayenne and cherry were the first to pod up but the are little wimpy plants. They may be coloring up first but it's certainly night and day between the peppers in the raised bed that I baby and the random yard peppers...

HotCherryColor792012

Cayennecolor792012

TomatoesColor792012

Bucket-Brigade-792012

Here are a couple views of my pepper bed!

peppers792012

Gardensideview792012

Been awhile. Peppers are growing and setting. Still waiting on color. I have managed to harvest some cherry, cayenne, and poblanos. I'm just going to throw some pics up.

Peppers72312

I accidentally cloned some basil... and next to it is a bonsai rescue plant my friend had just thrown in his yard and given up on.

ClonesandBonsaiRescue

This plant is getting smarter daily. That makes one of us.

Brains

IC-BhutxYellow7

Thanks for checking in peeps.

Seth,
Your plants are getting big...I can see some 5 ft'ers by the end of the season.

That Brain plant is raining out pods, Cherries, Cayennes and Polanos are always a welcome to a heaping pot of chili......now I'm hungry..........dang!

Plants are looking great Seth. What are you going to do with all that heat from those brains? Those IC x Yellow 7's are real cool. The pod shape on a lot of those definitely split the difference between the two varieties!

Looking great boss! Bonsai's first.....then it's going to be the Rainforest....hehehe. Your plants look as healthy as can be. I'm in the waiting game with you bro...they'll start popping off soon and you will be harvesting more than you know what to do with! KUTGF

Nice update Seth. You couldn't have laid those mounds out any better. A lot of space between those rows for picking. Is that bamboo growing in your yard? Looks perfect size for some stakes. That's a wildery little spot you have there. I could see a Jack Links commercial filmed there. You sit down to have a cold one,and someone pulls the lawn chair out from underneath you.You proceed to toss them around in the pepper patch. "Messin with Sethsquatch"

Great update. Looks like all that soil preperation is paying huge dividends. You gonna make a nice batch of smoky brains . If so I'll take two please ;)

Long time since my last visit, Sethbro; lots has happened in your
neck o' the woods! Your pepper garden is looking lush and
beautiful; glad to see there are many pods in your future to
reward your hard work and effort. Can't wait to see some
colors on your glog!

Hope you are having a good week, man. Weekend is just
around the corner - maybe it will bring some ripe pods!!

BTW - I dig your powder labels - nice work.

Seth,
Your plants are getting big...I can see some 5 ft'ers by the end of the season.

That Brain plant is raining out pods, Cherries, Cayennes and Polanos are always a welcome to a heaping pot of chili......now I'm hungry..........dang!

It's true. The cherries, pobs, and cayennes find their way into everything right now. I'm just antsy for some color on the hotties. Thanks for stopping in!

Plants are looking great Seth. What are you going to do with all that heat from those brains? Those IC x Yellow 7's are real cool. The pod shape on a lot of those definitely split the difference between the two varieties!

Yeah, it's pretty amazing! I can't wait to see the final color and sample the flavor. It will be interesting to see if one dominates the other flavor wise or if it is a good mix between the two!

Wow Seth, them bad boys are huge! Gonna be pulling some crazy harvests pretty soon!

I'm hoping so. My garden is BIG. Packing on the pods now. Hopefully the next two months are super productive. I've got a freezer to fill, sauce and powder to make!

Looking great boss! Bonsai's first.....then it's going to be the Rainforest....hehehe. Your plants look as healthy as can be. I'm in the waiting game with you bro...they'll start popping off soon and you will be harvesting more than you know what to do with! KUTGF

They seem to be enjoying the weather. Got some good rain last week and I swear they all grew 6 inches overnight!

Nice update Seth. You couldn't have laid those mounds out any better. A lot of space between those rows for picking. Is that bamboo growing in your yard? Looks perfect size for some stakes. That's a wildery little spot you have there. I could see a Jack Links commercial filmed there. You sit down to have a cold one,and someone pulls the lawn chair out from underneath you.You proceed to toss them around in the pepper patch. "Messin with Sethsquatch"

Ha! I haven't forgotten the Yard Yeti my friend. Going to be discussing it with my sculptor friend soon in a week and see what's possible. He runs the sculpture lab at the UofIllinois so he has access to some pretty awesome tools!

Great update. Looks like all that soil preperation is paying huge dividends. You gonna make a nice batch of smoky brains . If so I'll take two please ;)

Hey Romy, whatever I make it will be good and some will be coming your way!

Plants are really stacking them on for ya! :woohoo: Glad to see it man! Big harvests in your future.

Shane! Thanks man! I'm looking forward to hopefully just that! Two more months of solid time left.

Oh yeah, tis looking podaliscious in here dude.

Hells yeah. BTW, I was already growing rooster spurs! I just had them misnamed as thai fires! HA!

plants are looking very happy!

Thanks Sic! Hopefully some bad ass cooking will be happening here soon!

Back