• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shigshwa's Grow Log 2015-2016 (Hydro Grow of Carolina Reapers)

NOTE: Skip to the later pages to see my latest grow. Most of this is a log of my previous grows.

---------------------------------------------------------
I saw quite a lot of grow logs out here, which inspired me to make one myself. I thought that I could also use this as an opportunity to learn from the more experienced growers as well. A bit about me:

1. At this point in time, I'm 16, likely making me one of the younger growers here.
2. Although I like to mess with all things technology, I also like gardening as well
3. This is my first time growing peppers, so I'm hoping that everything goes well!

Now, onto the peppers.

The Story So far

297169_1851179259149_1830801093_1270494_678876191_n.jpg

The peppers, Bhut Jolokia on the right, Butch Ts on the left

312962_1874592724471_1830801093_1287184_631982975_n.jpg

The first sprout, and still my biggest!

380675_1881489016874_1830801093_1291001_1519892892_n.jpg

The peppers, day 3. Some of these were my friends, because he was on vacation. Can't believe they were this small!

313173_1902088171840_1830801093_1305430_723677430_n.jpg

A bit under 2 weeks old, when they were still under my now sold HPS bulb. My first sprout is the one in the big pot.

dsc00225uw.jpg

A bit after the last photo. Now that's growth!

dsc00239nh.jpg

Last image of them, days before being in the tent.

dsc00242zl.jpg

The new grow tent, next to my computer.

379523_1963207419783_1830801093_1331203_196171686_n.jpg

A bit under a month old, just a few days in the new grow tent. I will get a MH system soon...

dsc00241zd.jpg

Taken just now, 1 month 1 day old, few days after the last photo. The growth has EXPLODED ever since they were placed in the tent. The one in the very front is the Bhut, or so I believe, and the other 3 are the Butch Ts, one in the very back being my first sprout.

Yeah, my tent is in the room farthest away from my woodstove, which is my primary source of heat. Right now, it's 74 directly under the bulb, with no ventilation fans turned on. With my HPS in the cool tube, I can run ventilation at half speed and the temps sit at about 78.

Oh finally, page 2.....That first page took forever to load. Too many high res pics....

Yeah, my tent is in the room farthest away from my woodstove, which is my primary source of heat. Right now, it's 74 directly under the bulb, with no ventilation fans turned on. With my HPS in the cool tube, I can run ventilation at half speed and the temps sit at about 78. Oh finally, page 2.....That first page took forever to load. Too many high res pics....

Sorry, I think I should do a huge resize on all these pics...

EDIT: Resized it all.

Question about lighting.

I've got a 70W Metal Halide lamp that does great as far as light output, but doesn't generate enough heat to keep the temps in my tent in the mid 70's. I also have a 250w HPS that does keep the tent warm enough. I know that the HPS is far better suited to flower and fruit with, but will I be able to effectively veg with it, or am I just wasting electricity by using it before I need to?

I think the difference between MH and HPS is kind of like this:

dsc00253ya.jpg

A few days after switching from halogen to CFLs, approx 3000k for halogen, 2500K and 5500K CFLs. Note the height, but lack of vegetation, same thing for the Butch T in the back. Also note the new shoots that have started popping after the switch.

dsc00256bbh.jpg

'Around a week after switching to the CFLs. Note the vast increase in shoots and leaves, same with the Butch T in the background.

Yeah. I'm moving the tent tonight into a warmer room, at least until I get to the point that I can justify actually using the HPS.

Nice start there Shig, nice to see younger people growing legal things. LOL What are you using for fertilizer? Keep up the good work and you will have pods before you know it.

Nice start there Shig, nice to see younger people growing legal things. LOL What are you using for fertilizer? Keep up the good work and you will have pods before you know it.

So true, ha ha ha... For fertillizer, I used a weak solution of my GH hydro nutrients, plus Age Old Grow Organic Fertillizer, 12-6-6, along with some GH Diamond Nectar. It's a pretty potent mix, with the GH nutes to fill in some micronutrient gaps. I noticed some very slight burning for one of my plants, but I think it should be fine. I fertillize every 2 weeks. The fertillizer turns the leaves dark green for a few days after, so I think it could be just a bit too much nitrogen, but I'll wait and see if anything will go wrong in the long run.

Week 8, month 2, day 55. The 2 new sprouts are my friend's, he went to Germany over winter break. Plants have been growing bushier still. Maybe I'll fertillize once more with the veg solution, give it another 2 weeks, then let it flower. The biggest plant is about 9 inches tall, next biggest is around 6-7. A bit small to flower, but we'll see what happens.

dsc00259le.jpg

Leaf size has increased, not much emphasis on height growth. The leaf curl is in all of my plants except for the Bhut, which has a wavy look to the leaves, but they seem to be growing fine. Calcium deficiency? I hear that leaves stay that way forever when affected.

dsc00260lj.jpg

The CFLs have made them very bushy! A few more weeks and they will be loaded with shoots everywhere!

I am thinking of applying some worm tea to the plant, see if they grow any different.

Update: I see buds on my Bhut plant. It's still very small, but I guess it's time to switch to flowering in a few weeks maybe?

dsc00261dp.jpg

Huge leaves on your plants. Those are going to be some bushy monsters!

Greg

They are quite big! As big as my hand almost. This was from a week back:

404249_2076929062753_1830801093_1372903_787738723_n.jpg

I think the reason for this slow growth is because of the plants outgrowing their pots. Does the pot size affect the plant size significantly? I have some 2 gallon pots coming into the mail next week, which is a pretty sizable upgrade from these pots.

EDIT: Slow vertical growth I mean. I don't know about foliage growth though, they seem to be increasing in size rather than quantity.

Week 9, day 62. Just another average day, plants doing their usual time under the lamps. Still growing, slowly adding height, leaves growing as well. My Bhut has buds developing, as well as developing a fork at the top of the plant. Switched to a more balanced fert in preparation for a bloom cycle. Also added a 4th CFL, 6500K and 28W, which I will switch to a 40W 2700K when the time comes.

dsc00264g.jpg

dsc00267ur.jpg

The buds. The stalk also has a fork, with more buds showing up on the new branches too.

Week 10, day 70. Repotted them in 2 gallon Air Pot lookalikes, and a 2 gal Smart Pot. Interestingly, the site I ordered from gave me a free .3 gal Air Pot with my order!

dsc00275ek.jpg

Closeup of the flowers. Left one has been pollinated days ago. Is that a pepper I see? One to the right has just been pollinated.

dsc00281m.jpg

I'm hoping to get pods out of them. I don't think pollination was good though, no signs of growth yet. I might have to wait till the next few flowers.

I'm hoping to get pods out of them. I don't think pollination was good though, no signs of growth yet. I might have to wait till the next few flowers.
a couple things that may help with pollination indoors is a small fan to blow the pollen around and also live laby bugs, since your not using a HPS or MH the lady bugs wont get burned up by the heat of the light. both are pretty cheap and may help!

Thanks! I came home today, and found that the mini pepper within the flower has enlarged. The petals appear to be withering as well! I'll get pics tomorrow. As for pollination, it seems like the electric toothbrush method has worked for me.

Back