• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shigshwa's Grow Log 2015-2016 (Hydro Grow of Carolina Reapers)

NOTE: Skip to the later pages to see my latest grow. Most of this is a log of my previous grows.

---------------------------------------------------------
I saw quite a lot of grow logs out here, which inspired me to make one myself. I thought that I could also use this as an opportunity to learn from the more experienced growers as well. A bit about me:

1. At this point in time, I'm 16, likely making me one of the younger growers here.
2. Although I like to mess with all things technology, I also like gardening as well
3. This is my first time growing peppers, so I'm hoping that everything goes well!

Now, onto the peppers.

The Story So far

297169_1851179259149_1830801093_1270494_678876191_n.jpg

The peppers, Bhut Jolokia on the right, Butch Ts on the left

312962_1874592724471_1830801093_1287184_631982975_n.jpg

The first sprout, and still my biggest!

380675_1881489016874_1830801093_1291001_1519892892_n.jpg

The peppers, day 3. Some of these were my friends, because he was on vacation. Can't believe they were this small!

313173_1902088171840_1830801093_1305430_723677430_n.jpg

A bit under 2 weeks old, when they were still under my now sold HPS bulb. My first sprout is the one in the big pot.

dsc00225uw.jpg

A bit after the last photo. Now that's growth!

dsc00239nh.jpg

Last image of them, days before being in the tent.

dsc00242zl.jpg

The new grow tent, next to my computer.

379523_1963207419783_1830801093_1331203_196171686_n.jpg

A bit under a month old, just a few days in the new grow tent. I will get a MH system soon...

dsc00241zd.jpg

Taken just now, 1 month 1 day old, few days after the last photo. The growth has EXPLODED ever since they were placed in the tent. The one in the very front is the Bhut, or so I believe, and the other 3 are the Butch Ts, one in the very back being my first sprout.

Thanks for the info... With two 60watt "grow spot" bulbs in my tent I got the temperature up to 65 degrees and humidity around 80 percent. I swapped them out for two 28w cfl bulbs. I'm not sure what the K rating is after the wattage, could you please explain? Thanks

Thanks for the info... With two 60watt "grow spot" bulbs in my tent I got the temperature up to 65 degrees and humidity around 80 percent. I swapped them out for two 28w cfl bulbs. I'm not sure what the K rating is after the wattage, could you please explain? Thanks

The color of the light. 2700 and below promotes blooming, 4500 and up promotes vegetative growth. 2700s are kind of pinkish, with a hint of daylight. 5500s are white, and 6500s are slightly bluish.

The color of the light. 2700 and below promotes blooming, 4500 and up promotes vegetative growth. 2700s are kind of pinkish, with a hint of daylight. 5500s are white, and 6500s are slightly bluish.

Ah so... It must be wavelength... probably nanometers.

Is it necessary? My temps hang at 73-75. Do I need it for pollination? I can install a 6 inch fan in there, but I don't know if it's necessary.

Necessary? No. Preferred, yeah, of course. Look at it this way:

Plants take in CO2 and use it to produce energy through photosynthesis. O2, or oxygen is a natural byproduct of this process, whic your plants release after they have metabolized the CO2. With this in mind it is easy to assume that after a certain while, the usabale amount of CO2 will be displaced by the O2 released by the plants. Great for humans, not good for the plants. One of the best ways is to re-introduce fresh air into the environment.
The best way to add new air to your grow room is through ventilation. By using a fan that can displace the ambient air in your grow room three times every five minutes, you can replicate the CO2 levels that occur in an outdoor setting. With CO2 being a heavy gas, adding a fan inside the grow room to circulate air, you can mix the CO2 round ensuring even distribution. As plants ingest CO2, growth speeds up, foliage grows greener, and stronger, and overall health improves.

I'll try to find a few links for you.

Necessary? No. Preferred, yeah, of course. Look at it this way:

Plants take in CO2 and use it to produce energy through photosynthesis. O2, or oxygen is a natural byproduct of this process, whic your plants release after they have metabolized the CO2. With this in mind it is easy to assume that after a certain while, the usabale amount of CO2 will be displaced by the O2 released by the plants. Great for humans, not good for the plants. One of the best ways is to re-introduce fresh air into the environment.
The best way to add new air to your grow room is through ventilation. By using a fan that can displace the ambient air in your grow room three times every five minutes, you can replicate the CO2 levels that occur in an outdoor setting. With CO2 being a heavy gas, adding a fan inside the grow room to circulate air, you can mix the CO2 round ensuring even distribution. As plants ingest CO2, growth speeds up, foliage grows greener, and stronger, and overall health improves.

I'll try to find a few links for you.

Makes sense. I'll buy a fan sooner or later, just not at the moment.

Lookin good, I have found the airpot does what it;s designed to do, keep a healthy plant that seems to stall once roots fill the pots... perfectly ready for transplant with no circling roots. I'll get a pic once I open them. I have not tried a 5 gallon, but growing bigger...I'm not convinced ready to be transplanted, for sure. I noticed the one piece kinda airpot design, I think that would be better, no losing parts... Keep up the good fight.

Lookin good, I have found the airpot does what it;s designed to do, keep a healthy plant that seems to stall once roots fill the pots... perfectly ready for transplant with no circling roots. I'll get a pic once I open them. I have not tried a 5 gallon, but growing bigger...I'm not convinced ready to be transplanted, for sure. I noticed the one piece kinda airpot design, I think that would be better, no losing parts... Keep up the good fight.

Thanks! Right now, I'm having fruit set problems. My flowers produce a lot of pollen, but they don't set fruit!

Thanks for your info... I had started some onions from seed to kind of test the waters. I won't plant chilies until the end of march. Before putting in the CFLs I had floppy onion leaves and had to water twice a day. After replacing the incadescent bulbs with 28w 5000k bulbs the onions are standing up again and I only have to water every other day until they get a little more size. The temperature in the tent is down to ambient too, which the onions like better. Cheers

Thanks for your info... I had started some onions from seed to kind of test the waters. I won't plant chilies until the end of march. Before putting in the CFLs I had floppy onion leaves and had to water twice a day. After replacing the incadescent bulbs with 28w 5000k bulbs the onions are standing up again and I only have to water every other day until they get a little more size. The temperature in the tent is down to ambient too, which the onions like better. Cheers

No problem.

Also, seems like I was wrong about fruit set. Today, I've found at least 5 new Bhut Jolokia pods growing on my plant! My TS also seems to have one as well!

Here we go!

dsc00305t.jpg

A set flower. One observation I use to determine if it's set or not is to see if the flower is very dead looking, but the stem is still very sturdy.

dsc00306rafyq.jpg

2 two day old pods here, one up there, and the other is clearly visible. 3 week old pod is visible in the back.

dsc00307wg.jpg

Very young TS pod, less than a day old? I found it this morning.

dsc00308vi.jpg

Pod 1, still growing.

Lookin' great! I like the ts scorp photo - beautiful!

Pepper city.

dsc00310jw.jpg

TS pod. Much bigger than before! This is my only pod that resembles one though. The rest are strangely elongated, like the one in the back... did they happen to cross with my Bhut Jolokias??
dsc00311jg.jpg

Wow shigs, those are coming along very nicely. My Black Jalapenos are in full flower at the moment and I've got 2 small pods the size of a match head at the moment. Very exciting issn't it?

Wow shigs, those are coming along very nicely. My Black Jalapenos are in full flower at the moment and I've got 2 small pods the size of a match head at the moment. Very exciting issn't it?

Back