• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Shopping... ...ID?

I found some chilis and would like to ID them because the nomenclature of the sales people was kinda weird....

No. 1:
AfroHabi01.jpg
AfroHabi02.jpg

I found that one in a Asia shop. Nice habanero shape and habanero taste. They sold it as "Cayenne hot" and the cashier named Africa as origin.

No. 3:
LongOne01.jpg
LongOne02.jpg
LongOne03.jpg

No. 2+3 both were from a chili mix from a supermarket and named "habanero". They were really hot, the flavor wasn't habi.

Who can help ID the pods?

Omri said:

Yabbies? Cayennhabies? Cannabies?:think:

Well, for sure the No. 1-cayenne is a habanero. But can anybody tell me something about the sub-variety? Those pods were a lot bigger and not so dark red as the Uganda habs I had a few weeks ago. The taste was fruity and the heat started slow and then went through the ceiling. Nice!

No. 2+3 were sold as habs in two packages of a Dutch chili mix with some pepperonis and jalapenos. To me they don't look like habs but the different looking pods from one and the same plant some guys here showed pictures of don't make me so sure. And if they aren't what are they?

Armadillo said:
Yabbies? Cayennhabies? Cannabies?:think:

Well, for sure the No. 1-cayenne is a habanero. But can anybody tell me something about the sub-variety? Those pods were a lot bigger and not so dark red as the Uganda habs I had a few weeks ago. The taste was fruity and the heat started slow and then went through the ceiling. Nice!

No. 2+3 were sold as habs in two packages of a Dutch chili mix with some pepperonis and jalapenos. To me they don't look like habs but the different looking pods from one and the same plant some guys here showed pictures of don't make me so sure. And if they aren't what are they?
Yabaneros... Yabs... Yabbies! :D
They look very "generic" to me. probably some kind of yab simply grown in Africa, not actually originating there.

Armadillo said:
THAI cayennes of course! :oops:

Of course! From Thai South Africa to be exact!

Don't let Potowie hear you calling those habs!!!

C.Chinense unless specifically originating from the yucatan peninsula.

I may have to suspend your pepper police license OMRI!:lol:

cheezydemon said:
Of course! From Thai South Africa to be exact!

I may have to suspend your pepper police license OMRI!:lol:
Who's OMRI? I'm just using this account to score chicks. :oops:

cheezydemon said:

DNA from there? Strain from there? Plants grown there and fruit shipped? So a pure hab-DNA habanero grown anywhere else from pure bred seeds is not a hab? :oops: And a cayenne grown outside of French Guayana is not a cayenne?

Who can seriously tell if a so-called habanero grown in Yucatan is a true and dozens-of-generations-pure-bred non-other-chinense-cross-pollinated original habanero?

Who defines a new stabilized habanero strain as habanero, for example red savina habanero, and not "Red Savina Chinense with some habanero among the ancestors"?

cmpman1974 said:
I don't know but the yellow pod #2 is damn cool. I'll say that! How's it taste?

Chris

It's hot, about 10 but not 10+. The heat comes soon and straight, doesn't last too long. The flavor isn't too spectacular, it is not fruity as for example a habanero would be. I would say standard supermarket-dutch-greenhouse pepper taste with too much artificial fertilizer. I'm curious how the next generation will come out. If it will be at least stable?

As I said it was from a Dutch chili mix... Dutch greenhouses are notorious in Germany. Do you know the fourth state of aggregation of water? Dutch greenhouse tomatoes. So I'm not too surprised that this pod wasn't award winning. Curiosity killed the cat... ...couldn't resist trying it when I saw it. And maybe the seeds will come out better.

the first I have no clue...kinda looks like a caribbean red but not the right shape, second one reminds me of a scotch bonnet type pepper because of the way the seeds are attached inside all at the top of the pepper, third one looks like a standard Orange Hab to me...

The first one looks like a Caribbean type C. chinense. I've got Guadaloupes and Morouga reds that look very similar

Back