• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Should I start fertilizing?

Hi everybody!!! I have 2 pots of Red savinas and 2 pots of bhut jolokias. The bhut jolokias are a bit bigger then the red savinas, they are at least one month old, should I ad some fertilizer?
RED SAVINAS
RedSavina.jpg

Bhut Jolokias
bhutjolokias.jpg

Bhut Jolokia
bhutjolokia.jpg

i see little yellow granules in the pics, i'm gonna assume that that's miracle-gro or something with fertilizers in it already.

i say grab a half a dose of plant food / diluted fert and hit them with that. the stuff that comes built into miracle-gro potting soil is pure trash.

Im using Miracle grow potting mix, dont like it that much, I started them with miracle grow moister control wich was much better. It sais that will feed the palnts for up to 6 months, wooowww. Buth do you think?

Most folks here, including me, don't like MG either. I wouldn't feed them anything yet, since they're still very young and it a mix with nutes already. When you pot up I'd switch mixes. :)

Im using Miracle grow potting mix, dont like it that much, I started them with miracle grow moister control wich was much better. It sais that will feed the palnts for up to 6 months, wooowww. Buth do you think?

Oh no...another MG victim... :pray:

It's hard to fertilize or feed plants with it in MG, since that soil is full of fertilizer that probably lasts for several months. But you're not stuck with that MG stuff if you dont want it. If your plants are only a month old, you can still transplant them. Dig around the plant and try not to destroy the roots. Throw it in a better type soil, compost or potting medium and you can customize any feeding plan you want.

It's hard to fertilize or feed plants with it in MG, since that soil is full of fertilizer that probably lasts for several months. But you're not stuck with that MG stuff if you dont want it. If your plants are only a month old, you can still transplant them. Dig around the plant and try not to destroy the roots. Throw it in a better type soil, compost or potting medium and you can customize any feeding plan you want.
What if I drain the soil a couple of times, for a few days????? will that reduce the ferts?

Nope. If it were a liquid formula, you could leech it out over the course of several waterings. But those are slow release granular fertilizers and are meant to stay active for several months. Best bet is to clear out that soil and replace it with another.

Jeez, you guys act like MG is poison. It's not, many people, including myself, have had great results using MG. Is Pro-Mix and others better? Yes, for sure, and you'll probably get bigger plants w more pods using Pro-Mix. But MG isn't the end of the world and it's great for beginners or people who just like to water and not mess with nutes. The answer to the question is No, you shouldn't start fertilizing, they're doing fine and look very healthy.

Thanks for posting that Big. I was beginning to think I just killed all my peppers lol. I hear a lot of people talking about pro mix and compost and things like that but I just don't have that kind of space (to make my own compost). Where do you get the good soil you guys are talking about? Usually the only place I can find large bags of soil is Lowe's or Home Depot (whish is almost always MG).

Where would you guys suggest I look for the good stuff and any brands I should look for?

Sorry for all the noob questions, I'm still learing ;)

-J

P.S. I did read the "all about soil thread" but haven't seen any of those brands anywhere.

I am sure there is some type of hydro store or a nursery around you that will carry better quality soil. I like Fox Farms and other people like the Pro Mix. I am sure there are plenty of other quality soil mixes out there. If you go to a hydro store or a real nursery they will each have certain types of soil that they carry, and they will know more about the brands that they carry.

Fafard's is a good one too. Gotta go to a nursery to get it though. Around here all the nurseries carry it. In my experience on the Miracle Grow, the plants start out good, but the soil compacts bad over time and then the plants look like they are starving even when adding ferts. The seedlings will be fine in it though. But I do recommend a better mix when they go in their final home.

jacob

I am sure there is some type of hydro store or a nursery around you that will carry better quality soil. I like Fox Farms and other people like the Pro Mix. I am sure there are plenty of other quality soil mixes out there. If you go to a hydro store or a real nursery they will each have certain types of soil that they carry, and they will know more about the brands that they carry.

I think I have a few nurseys around my area so I'll check them out and ask them.

Back