Show me your chile plant with the fattest trunk

An OW Fatalii
IMG_20140619_132454_828_zps96fe1064.jpg

Milkshakes00 said:
How?! How do you guys manage to build up the trunks like that?

Any guides? Jeesh.
it's just what they do when you grow them. Some types are a bit more predisposed to having larger main stems than others but yeah.

millworkman said:
it's just what they do when you grow them. Some types are a bit more predisposed to having larger main stems than others but yeah.
Really? There's no secret you guys are keeping?

My plants are pretty thin. Moruga, Fatali, Reaper, 7 pot, Bubblegum 7 pot. All seem really thin and give me an awful feeling that they won't grow much, or support much fruiting.

what mill said is pretty much spot on, it helps to have a good loose soil and a strain that has aggressive rooting tendencies.  That Fatalii was topped when it had about 10 true leaves...severely topped, I took like an inch off of it...then I stripped all upper leaves and only left the four lowest to the dirt.  The OP was asking about bonchis and that's one way to have low branches and a thick trunk.  As long as the plant is healthy.

also, starting indoors under T5 lighting helped my plants start out and end up short and stocky before putting them outside for plant out.  Starting plants outdoors, I've noticed, seems to make them more likely to be leggy, but I could be wrong.

ikeepfish said:
This Fatalii is only 4 months old :D

20140619_174412_zps9c889a0e.jpg

Just now really starting to form "bark"

I notice that it looks like you have a scale problem at the base of that plant.... you probably will want to treat that before it spreads too far up the plant. 

Noah Yates said:
I notice that it looks like you have a scale problem at the base of that plant.... you probably will want to treat that before it spreads too far up the plant.
Are you talking about the bark? Or the little nest of some sort in the crease of the branch?

Its those little circular things.... and that blackish goeey coating looks like their "honey dew" excretion.  Go to your plant and see if u cant slide one of those off of the plant.... its a little armored scale insect.  Appears to be*

Lol I looked, it's dirt that must have bounced up from the storms yesterday. Thanks though...I thought you were talking about the bark :crazy:

Actually I see what you're talking about...It's leaf stumps

ikeepfish said:
That Caribbean Red would make an awesome bonchi!

I've been thinking that after this season I might retire one of my two big caribbean reds from production and do just that. I think it would be a good bonchi candidate because of its form and because of the tiny fruit it produces. It would look like a little apple tree!

Here's one of my mutant Morugas.

This is about a foot up from the base, it's just over an inch wide:
6ZlICKK.jpg

This is why I call it mutant, the stem is not round but flat:
oy47uM9.jpg

It's round at the base (as per normal) but then as it goes up it turns flat (NFI why). I cut it off for this photo 'cause it only produced a few pods and it's right near the end of the season here in Aus.

So far, it looks like I have three contenders this year. The pics are horrible. It's night time and I'm kind a drunk. I'll have better pics later. I promise.

First up is a three year old Caribbean red habanero. 
IMG_0145_zps1fa69595.jpg

Next is a two year old Carolina Reaper.
IMG_0146_zpsade71def.jpg

My god, these pictures are embarrassing. Focus, idiot!

Last, is a first year 7 pot "not yellow".
IMG_0143_zpsdfbad09a.jpg

Ugh. I promise I'll have better pics soon. I don't even know why I posted these.  :rolleyes:

Back