• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Show us your Ghetto growing gear.

Okay so i loved this section and admired many different ideas going on around here!
My setup cost me about $4.50 (for jiffy germination box things and pellets) because everything else was stuff i had sitting around the house.

Here is my tiny setup
SDC15288-1.jpg

lighting is an old lamp with a 26 watt daytime compact florescent which has the shell thing cut in half to improve lighting.

SDC15289.jpg

the back is modified with a old smaller water bottle cut to house a smaller computer fan to help cool off the light if needed (this was more for fun and to kill time)

SDC15290.jpg

the heating on this setup is actually an old aquarium light fixture housing two 10 watt incandescent bulbs with a couple layers of foil and heavier duty napkins to lower heat impact because it was getting too hot!

SDC15291.jpg

SDC15292.jpg

oh yeah and to level off the height difference caused by the heating light i have put a couple of useless-out-of-the-box timers that i got for a couple bucks each a couple months ago that no one should ever by cause they suck!!! oh and a old cell phone in case any of this stuff catches fire or any other emergency?? lol

Right on set up, Shane - and easy to put together.
I'm bookmarking this one!
I'm turning over ideas for next year now :think: !

Got this idea from CCErnst! I went a little larger scale though...here is CC's glog thread.

http://www.thehotpep...__fromsearch__1

Now for mine...was already running the 2 T8 shop light fixtures. Things were moving pretty slow under them though.

2 x 100w equivalent daylight bulb 4 packs Home Depot $10 each (only used 7)...7 x plug socket adapter @ $1.50 each...So $30.50 total and I had a bulb leftover for my porch light...

Lights with socket adapters...

I already had the 4' workbench power strip...

P1000224.jpg

There are a total of 12 outlets I went every other one...added one more to the near end so 3 in a row over the more mature plants...could add up to 5 more.

Really don't think I need to...my light meter now pegs out in there. The T8's look like they're off...but they're not. Might actually have to raise them a little more.

I think I could lay in there to tan...I am half blind from looking into this thing. The 3 in the bottom right are recovering from an unfortunate greenhouse incident a few days ago...all the green pots were moved in from the greenhouse...to see how they do compared to the ones outside. I got these running 24/7 right now, but will cut them back to 16/8 in a few days.

Almost forgot the most ghetto part!

The coat hanger chain mod to angle the T8's inward...x4
Shane

Right on set up, Shane - and easy to put together.
I'm bookmarking this one!
I'm turning over ideas for next year now :think: !

Thanks man...I just cant get over how much brighter they are...but to put it in perspective they are each putting out ~1600 lumens and each of the T8's is putting out ~2100 but that's over the entire 4' tube...this is all packed into that one little bulb. Amazing results so far if I can keep them from cooking. The fan is no longer a run it every now and then thing, its a necessity. So I got it on the timer with the lights now.

So, I have upgraded my ghetto grow closet. Have a new light holder that came from some gutted office building courtesy of Justaguy. He came over and wired it up and it was just laying against the wall. It holds 4 48" fluorescents. Last night I got the drill out and put some holes in it for u-bolts, connected it with chain and carribeaners to the closet rod. Now it is adjustable two ways so if I have taller plants (which I do) I can put them at one end and raise it higher on that end.

Voila

I'll post a pic of my actual grow setup at some point, but this is my high tech bottom-heated germination apparatus...

IMGP2810.jpg

:lol:

I've tried other things, but the heat output from the router is perfect. Everything usually sprouts within a week. Tepins, Bhuts, 7Pods... no issues. I can layer about 5 or 6 bags at a time on it.

Looks like it's workin' pretty well!

I'll post a pic of my actual grow setup at some point, but this is my high tech bottom-heated germination apparatus...

IMGP2810.jpg

I've tried other things, but the heat output from the router is perfect. Everything usually sprouts within a week. Tepins, Bhuts, 7Pods... no issues. I can layer about 5 or 6 bags at a time on it.

It cool's the router also, LOL nice ide. I wonder if the wireless radiation have any effect on the seed's?

IMGP2810.jpg

Thats great!
Awesome idea

MadGringo, your tent is producing some nice seedlings.

Love it AJ! Right up my alley. Is that Christmas lights on the roof too? :cool:

That setup is half a step away from a decent nightclub :)

How about this?

PB090362.jpg

slat frame from my new dishwasher cut down and reformed, 2 desk lamps and 2 lamp fixtures with pie plate reflectors and one clip on work lamp. For a heat pad, I put the starters on the radiator until they pop, then move them up under the lights. I have a 30$ greenhouse for the spring, about 5' high, 2x2', good for smaller plants.

This is absolute GENIUS!!!! God the wife would kill me!!!

Back in the day :high: ?

Yeah this is a great thread!

Back