• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sideshow Gardens Grow Log.

Here's where it all starts at Sideshow Gardens. The seedling room. Heat and humidity controlled. The trays will only spend a couple days here til they get moved outside. Our daytime temps have been wonderful lately but night time temps are still pretty low so they all get brought back inside at night. Quite the chore since the seedling room is upstairs and I currently have way more trays than what is pictured. I've started tomatoes and peppers so far but that accounts for only a quarter of what I'll be growing. Stay tuned for further updates. Thanks for looking!

Chillin with my pup poolside. Hes not as amused as I am apparently..

Attachments

• 20180625_164652_HDR-1.jpg
    20180625_164652_HDR-1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 58
Already harvested a few green ones but this is my first ripe cajun bell. Not sure if this is what they're spose to look like or if it's off pheno cuz I've seen a view variations but whatever. They taste good and have a nice kick.

Attachments

• 20180702_141327.jpg
    20180702_141327.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 58
Edmick said:
Already harvested a few green ones but this is my first ripe cajun bell. Not sure if this is what they're spose to look like or if it's off pheno cuz I've seen a view variations but whatever. They taste good and have a nice kick.
It looks similar to mine, I grow a few plants every year and usually make relish out of them. I just had one of my first ripe ones, it was like one of those surprise jalapenos that drops you to your knees. Seriously was the hottest cajun belle i ever had, intense throat and lip burn for about a half hour. But, most of my seeds are saved open polinated stuff so who knows.

Am I just colorblind or is my "rainbow" "glass gem" corn yellow?! This is the 4th or 5th that are all yellow. I'm not very happy right now. Nobody around me even grows corn so I dont understand how cross pollination could occur.. Anyone got any ideas? I'm all ears (pun intended)

Attachments

• 20180703_114315.jpg
    20180703_114315.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 52
PtMD989 said:
It kinda looks like a variety my inlaws grow called peaches and cream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got the seed from baker creek and they were all different colors so I imaging the seed was legit.. I dunno though. I'm not an expert on corn. I'm thinking cross pollination but shit, how far can corn pollen travel? And to have NO color at all from the pollen of my own plants.. I have 40 something plants all within close proximity of each other so pollinating each other shouldn't be an issue..

My inlaws usually get their seed from the grain elevator, I would say that the seeds they get are Burpee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does he ever drop that kong? Lol. You would think even if they got cross pollinated you would have a kernel or two that were colored. Did you hit up the seed vendor? Is that corn tasty at least?

Walchit said:
Does he ever drop that kong? Lol. You would think even if they got cross pollinated you would have a kernel or two that were colored. Did you hit up the seed vendor? Is that corn tasty at least?
No he never drops it. I play doorbell sounds on youtube over the speaker to mess with him and he barks with it in his mouth. I tried the corn. It tastes good. Gave most of what I harvested to the chickens though. Lol

Edmick said:
I got the seed from baker creek and they were all different colors so I imaging the seed was legit.. I dunno though. I'm not an expert on corn. I'm thinking cross pollination but shit, how far can corn pollen travel? And to have NO color at all from the pollen of my own plants.. I have 40 something plants all within close proximity of each other so pollinating each other shouldn't be an issue..
Is Baker still in Petaluma? It looks like that heirloom isn't so stable anymore. I wonder if they would be interested in knowing.

nmlarson said:
Is Baker still in Petaluma? It looks like that heirloom isn't so stable anymore. I wonder if they would be interested in knowing.
Not sure if they're in petaluma still. I ready one review online from someone saying to avoid planting amy of the yellow seeds in the seed packet to avoid all yellow corn. I have no clie which plants came from what color seed but I planted all types of different colored ones. I probably will call baker to ask them if they have had similar complaints but they'll probably just tell me they were crossed or something. The ones I harvested were only from a couple different plants so hopefully I can get at least some that are colored

This is the same ear of corn as the one I posted yesterday.. I think I've been harvesting too soon. I guess the color doesnt set until they're totally mature. I'm an idiot..

Attachments

• 20180704_101736.jpg
    20180704_101736.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 53
Back