• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sideshow Gardens Grow Log.

Here's where it all starts at Sideshow Gardens. The seedling room. Heat and humidity controlled. The trays will only spend a couple days here til they get moved outside. Our daytime temps have been wonderful lately but night time temps are still pretty low so they all get brought back inside at night. Quite the chore since the seedling room is upstairs and I currently have way more trays than what is pictured. I've started tomatoes and peppers so far but that accounts for only a quarter of what I'll be growing. Stay tuned for further updates. Thanks for looking!

YAMracer754 said:
What IPM methods are you using to prevent pests from invading your domain?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
I'm hoping that the beneficial insects will take care of most of it. I've found quite a few praying mantis around the yard so I'm hoping they stick around to help a brother out. Might order some lady bugs. I had fairly decent success with insecticidal soap last year too. I do the same dance every year though. Kill the aphids and thrips, back again in 3 days.. Kill them again, back again in 3 days. Theres only been one year out of 13 that I didn't have an aphid problem and that was only because they enjoyed killing my lettuce and bok choy more then the peppers.

Finally got all my rows done. Was originally spose to be a little overcast yesterday but that never happened so I'm gonna wait a couple more days probably to get plants in the dirt when it's a little cooler.

Attachments

• 20180509_095451.jpg
    20180509_095451.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 54
Edmick said:
I'm hoping that the beneficial insects will take care of most of it. I've found quite a few praying mantis around the yard so I'm hoping they stick around to help a brother out. Might order some lady bugs. I had fairly decent success with insecticidal soap last year too. I do the same dance every year though. Kill the aphids and thrips, back again in 3 days.. Kill them again, back again in 3 days. Theres only been one year out of 13 that I didn't have an aphid problem and that was only because they enjoyed killing my lettuce and bok choy more then the peppers.
I know that you're in a much different ag zone than I am in, but when should I start laying groundwork to prevent aphids and thrips attack? Whether it be chems or organics just curious when they come to wreck $hit!

YAMracer754 said:
I know that you're in a much different ag zone than I am in, but when should I start laying groundwork to prevent aphids and thrips attack? Whether it be chems or organics just curious when they come to wreck $hit!

I do very little, if anything to prevent them. I just kinda hope that theres enough beneficial insects to put a dent in them. Which it seems there never are. The neem oil seems to do the trick but I find that I need to use it much more often than the chemical stuff. The chemical stuff also kills the good bugs too so you gotta keep that in mind.

Got a new cheapo ph pen from amazon. Has surprisingly good reviews for only being $15. I already know the ph of my tap water and it's spot on so thats good. 1 year warranty on it too.

Attachments

• 20180511_111322.jpg
    20180511_111322.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 54
Bhuter said:
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
:woohoo: :woohoo:

That's awesome! Congratulations on the success!
Thanks buddy. I lost 4 on this last batch. 1/3 loss. Same on the first batch but 2 of the 3 made it. Strange coincidence. I look forward to doing more clones in the future to see if thats a consistent trend. These plants definitely have a very specific rhythm that they follow and it's interesting observing it. So little is actually known as FACT about these plants so it's fun studying them and trying to come up with my own conclusions.

I can't wait to observe their movement! She says, "Yeah, I'm just gonna stare at it all day...with my camera." Lol. It's definitely interesting. I didn't know there was such a thing until you showed me. Amazing the things that are out there.

Bhuter said:
I can't wait to observe their movement! She says, "Yeah, I'm just gonna stare at it all day...with my camera." Lol. It's definitely interesting. I didn't know there was such a thing until you showed me. Amazing the things that are out there.
It'll be interesting to see what you observe with them. They like reggae (but not all) and they also like metal (but not all). They like other stuff too but I can't figure out for the life of me any rhyme or reason to it. Its like they have a mind of their own and it depends on their "mood". I've tried explaining this to other people and they look at me like I'm on drugs. Lol

Edmick said:
It'll be interesting to see what you observe with them. They like reggae (but not all) and they also like metal (but not all). They like other stuff too but I can't figure out for the life of me any rhyme or reason to it. Its like they have a mind of their own and it depends on their "mood". I've tried explaining this to other people and they look at me like I'm on drugs. Lol
Interesting! Maybe a little "mood-lighting" will make things move, too!

Back