• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Silver_Surfer's Soggy Setback 2013

When the ground almost gets dry enough to work, it rains again.
Soggy5-6-13_zps48858a8e.jpg

Plants are long past ready and beginning to get root bound.
Plants5-6-13_zpsccad1e1f.jpg

More rain today. At least the SE no longer suffers from a drought.

Man SS, just read through all 5 pages again. Still just looking so awesome. Doubt we'll even be able to see any of that straw here in 2 months.

Wooo, top of the page :dance:

:party: look at those monsters already! Beautiful plants you got there my friend, good that things are going well with the greenery  ;) Is your Madame Jeanette already knocked up?

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
will follow your glog.. definately.. i want to compare your bubblegum compared to mines.////

I've never seen these, so will do some comparisons too.

DocNrock said:
That garden plot looks so righteous.  Can't wait to see it all grown up.

Thanks, so far so good; now they need to get humpin' and make up for lost time.

coheed196 said:
Man SS, just read through all 5 pages again. Still just looking so awesome. Doubt we'll even be able to see any of that straw here in 2 months.

Wooo, top of the page :dance:

Thanks, they have a lot of growing to do in 8 weeks in order to provide that much shade, but it's a goal to shoot for. :)

meatfreak said:
:party: look at those monsters already! Beautiful plants you got there my friend, good that things are going well with the greenery  ;) Is your Madame Jeanette already knocked up?

Sorry to say she got rolled in a tray mishap and missed the boat this season. :(  I'll try and court her again next year.

roper2008 said:
You are a pro!  Everything look great.

Dunno about me, but my plants try hard. Thanks man.

No irrigation this week as it's been really wet here the past two days and the heavy downpours have matted the straw down nicely. There's not too much to show here on this foggy morning. Strong winds came with the rain two days ago, but the stakes appear to have done their job well enough.

Garden 6-8-13
Garden6-8-13_zps12e0b78c.jpg

The squash is up and on its way.
squash6-8-13_zps62e9bf6a.jpg

Cantaloupe is through the plastic as well.
cantaloupe6-8-13_zps60b1013d.jpg

Okra and peas too, but no sign of the eggplant yet. I may have to plant something else there if it doesn't pop soon.
okra-peas6-8-13_zps62cc9a96.jpg

That's all for now. Hope all survived Andrea's fury.

Damn SS, your garden has major swag. Love it dude, it looks so freaking immaculate! Yeah...turn a valve, be careful with all of that responsibility...lol

3/5King said:
Damn SS, your garden has major swag. Love it dude, it looks so freaking immaculate! Yeah...turn a valve, be careful with all of that responsibility...lol

I'll try. :D  Just don't like raising weeds.

Devv said:
Lookin' real good!

The material, does it breath so rain can soak in??

The fabric in the middles is water permeable, but the plastic mulch in the row isn't. Of course there's a big X incision in the plastic where the plant resides and the rows wick water from the middles too.  The plastic retains soil moisture very well and the reason I only need to water once per week, except when it rains like it has this week.

MGOLD86 said:
Do you direct sow the nons??

Yep, make a tiny x with a sharp knife and push the seed in the soil and cover

Everything is lookin fantastic as usual  Silver. Cant wait to see lots of colors on those pretty bushes of yours! ;)

Silver_Surfer said:
Yep, make a tiny x with a sharp knife and push the seed in the soil and cover
Oh nice! Trying this tomorrow !
Planting some more beans,and peas. thanks!

Garden looks like a pepper mecca! You and Alabama Jack should get some land.Then have Wayright/romy run it under Mgolds command(of course).

Theeeeen you could have a pepper kingdom..just sayin,if you wanted!
;)

Looking great Surfer, sounds like you have a really nice selection for your all around garden. Are you just growing Yellow Summer Squash or do  you have some Zucchini  and others in there too? We'll be in the new house around August so I'll wait to put in a Fall or late Summer garden. Thinking I might try and grow my own pumpkins for my Pumpkin Ale this year and some Butternut and Acorn Squash too.

Have a great week.

I love the garden layout SS...That's exactly how it should be done....

I dig the new spacing...I understand exactly where you're coming from! In my country garden I finally took the company track hoe and knocked out every other row...I don't know what the exact spacing is, but you can drive a Bobcat model 341 between the beds...

I love the foggy morning pik!

Great job, SS! I've lost, dunno, could be all toms, have to wait and see but a couple, feel like going ahead and pulling pre the remnant of derecho that hit Midwest, supposed to track through Piedmont --last Sunday some system put down 4 inches on us in an hour. (And it went on for more than an hour.) If the hail misses us today, and high winds miss everybody, great! Looking excellent, hon! Been rainiest 1.5 months I can recall. Geez. smdh! :confused: Everybody has direct seeded and re-seeded, here comes a frog strangler, and seed gets washed. Friend of mine said, "Hell, am gonna have 30 stands of okrie comin' up in the neighbor's yard." The neighbor lives mile away. :rofl: At least we got sense of humor about it. Everybody be safe!

megahot said:
Everything is lookin fantastic as usual  Silver. Cant wait to see lots of colors on those pretty bushes of yours!

Thanks, color is coming soon enough. ;)

Fremp said:
Oh nice! Trying this tomorrow !
Planting some more beans,and peas. thanks!

Garden looks like a pepper mecca! You and Alabama Jack should get some land.Then have Wayright/romy run it under Mgolds command(of course).

Theeeeen you could have a pepper kingdom..just sayin,if you wanted!

Beans and peas will pop quick, especially if soaked overnight; mine were up in 2 days after a soak.

I have more land, just use it for harvesting meat now instead of farming.
Stand3_zps900ead43.jpg

Stand2_zps6d04c791.jpg

Stand1_zpsd21d66f1.jpg

RocketMan said:
Looking great Surfer, sounds like you have a really nice selection for your all around garden. Are you just growing Yellow Summer Squash or do  you have some Zucchini  and others in there too? We'll be in the new house around August so I'll wait to put in a Fall or late Summer garden. Thinking I might try and grow my own pumpkins for my Pumpkin Ale this year and some Butternut and Acorn Squash too.

Have a great week.

Thanks, no zucchini this season, but may replace slow eggplant with some later. Make sure ya have plenty of space for the pumpkin and butternut as they like to hog it all.

windchicken said:
I love the garden layout SS...That's exactly how it should be done....

I dig the new spacing...I understand exactly where you're coming from! In my country garden I finally took the company track hoe and knocked out every other row...I don't know what the exact spacing is, but you can drive a Bobcat model 341 between the beds...

I love the foggy morning pik!

I hope this is enough space. :) Really like your use of the wood chips.

WalkGood said:
Those rows look so awesome in dat matted straw, I see perfection \o/

Thanks, but rain wouldn't wash perfection would it? ;)

RedtailForester said:
Everything is looking great as usual Bob. The weather at the beginning of this season has really been a bitch. I'm sure you will prevail!

Peppers are beginning to enjoy the new home if they can survive all of the excess water this year. Thanks Dan.

sicman said:
post 104,,pic 1.    awesome!!!!!!!

Best time in the garden, nice and cool. :)

annie57 said:
Great job, SS! I've lost, dunno, could be all toms, have to wait and see but a couple, feel like going ahead and pulling pre the remnant of derecho that hit Midwest, supposed to track through Piedmont --last Sunday some system put down 4 inches on us in an hour. (And it went on for more than an hour.) If the hail misses us today, and high winds miss everybody, great! Looking excellent, hon! Been rainiest 1.5 months I can recall. Geez. smdh! :confused: Everybody has direct seeded and re-seeded, here comes a frog strangler, and seed gets washed. Friend of mine said, "Hell, am gonna have 30 stands of okrie comin' up in the neighbor's yard." The neighbor lives mile away. :rofl: At least we got sense of humor about it. Everybody be safe!

I see you and your garden survived just fine, never had a doubt. :)  30 stands of okra had me :lol:

The garden is begining to get a foot hold and starting to grow a little.
Garden 6-16-13
Garden-6-16-13_zps1cc63f8b.jpg

Looking absolutely fantastic SS! Those Sepia Serpent seeds you sent me are growing as strong as they can here under the weak Canadian sun. Got a few pods but probably no colour on them for a few more weeks. Only have until Labor Day to get a crop in!

Keep those photos coming, we all love to see your garden.

Conor

It's looking real goooodd!

Liking the deer blinds, I hunt off my place too, but I'm thinking you have way more land and deer. Dogs have always been a problem around here..

saugapepper said:
Looking absolutely fantastic SS! Those Sepia Serpent seeds you sent me are growing as strong as they can here under the weak Canadian sun. Got a few pods but probably no colour on them for a few more weeks. Only have until Labor Day to get a crop in!

Keep those photos coming, we all love to see your garden.

Conor

Good to hear they're doing well. OK, more pics coming up.

Devv said:
It's looking real goooodd!

Liking the deer blinds, I hunt off my place too, but I'm thinking you have way more land and deer. Dogs have always been a problem around here..

Thanks, no problem with dogs here, but I have hunted with them in the past and ya can't beat a good hound for finding that occasional lost wounded deer.

Here's a few shots of some of the pods that are taking shape.

7 Pod Bubble Gum
7PodBubbleGum-6-16-13_zps73b5a794.jpg

7 Pod Jonah
Jonah_zps83b04608.jpg

7 Pod Madbalz
Madbalz7_zps7e73fcb2.jpg

Antilles Fire
AntillesFire-6-16-13_zpscd007751.jpg

Black Naga
BlackNaga-6-16-13_zps82ec2fd4.jpg

Butch T X Yellow Scorp
ButchTxYScorp-6-16-13_zpsaeeac2ed.jpg