• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Simp3204 2020 Garden #2

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for disappearing for a few months, I got crazy busy with life and took some time away from updating my Glog.  Garden #1 went pretty strong up until December and got hit hard by a storm when I was out-of-town for work.  I am making some much needed upgrades this year to get started early, including seed heating mats, a new Sansi grow light and a small "greenhouse" outside.  I will update this a little later with a picture of my current seedlings that are growing pretty strong.  Grow #2 looks to be off to a much more organized and healthy start than Grow #1. 

My pepper grow this year consists of seeds from White Hot Peppers, Lawrence Family Farms, The Hippy Seed Company and a few plants from Baker Creek Seeds.  Most of you already know Justin from White Hot Peppers and Trent from Lawrence Family Farms on the forums here. 

https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/
https://lawrenceproduce.com/
https://thehippyseedcompany.com/
https://www.rareseeds.com/

I look forward to hearing from everyone and following along with everyone's 2020 grows.

Simp

Bhuter said:
Wai-wai-wait.......hold up here. RIVERSIDE, you say? No shizz? I grew up in Corona (not from virus fame. Lol). Went to Centennial High, Corona High, Buena Vista High; kept getting expelled. For those not aware: Corona is in Riverside County. Yes, hot, dry, bright, dusty, crowded........

But I find that amazing! Small darn-world!
I pass right by Centennial High at least twice a week heading to work. I almost moved to Corona when I moved to Riverside. A last minute find of a house with a fenced in yard made me choose Riverside.

On a sad garden note, I found this little defender after I unrolled my bird netting that I had stored next to some garden stuff outside. I couldn’t get a good picture, but, I’m guessing the lizard went into the netting to hunt some bugs and got stuck.

d9f148be70c1e767a92913fa028a4bdd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate to see a beneficial tank by accident.

A tree frog got into a bag of my weed and feed
one Winter, and was totally desiccated by the time
I found him in the Spring. That's when I stopped
using weed control fertilizer. That would have been
an unpleasant death for the poor amphibian.

simp3204 said:
I pass right by Centennial High at least twice a week heading to work. I almost moved to Corona when I moved to Riverside. A last minute find of a house with a fenced in yard made me choose Riverside.

On a sad garden note, I found this little defender after I unrolled my bird netting that I had stored next to some garden stuff outside. I couldnt get a good picture, but, Im guessing the lizard went into the netting to hunt some bugs and got stuck.

d9f148be70c1e767a92913fa028a4bdd.jpg

Crazy. Just frickin' weird. Where did you start out! I was born in LA County, but more towards Compton. Born in Downey and lived in Norwalk until I was 8-9. At 18 years old, I left Corona and Cali for the Mitten, which is a great to be from.

But I like the cold.

Bhuter said:
Crazy. Just frickin' weird. Where did you start out! I was born in LA County, but more towards Compton. Born in Downey and lived in Norwalk until I was 8-9. At 18 years old, I left Corona and Cali for the Mitten, which is a great to be from.

But I like the cold.
I grew up in a small town of about 6000 (now 7000ish) in Central Kentucky. I enlisted in the Marine Corps and got stationed at Camp Pendleton and haven’t left Southern California since 2006 (might leave in 2-3 years, depends on my fiancé). I miss trees and the woods, plus, people are much nicer and polite outside of metropolitan areas.

The food is so damn good in and around LA and you can get almost anything you want.

Made a new wicking container out of one of my 27 (I think) gallon Costco containers I used for my Kratky grow last year. This year I’m only growing Kratky lettuce for my girl and her family, everything besides lettuce and my one habanero plant did anything in the Kratky setups from last year.

I’m going to finish putting potting soil and a few plants later tonight when the temperature drops a little.

Hole set at 5” for drainage

4db59af2e42442e18898ee90fa4667f7.jpg

Cat litter containers, I ended up adding more holes all the way around to help with their buoyancy as they filled up.

541de70d81b59d6db4bb0c8615e6e18d.jpg

Laid 2 of them sideways with one 32oz Powerade bottle to tighten it up.

fd701f46a1b91f6bab7f20b4695cd3c8.jpg

I have some extra weed fabric so I went fancy

eb15265e5b92e0e062e1502640e15ca3.jpg

Interesting, Simp, but I'm not quite sure
what you are going for there.
Maybe it will make more sense to me
when you have it up and running.
I'm a little slow sometimes.
Well, OK. All the time :shh:

simp3204 said:
The food is so damn good in and around LA and
you can get almost anything you want.

One of the advantages of a metro area, for sure.
We have a ton of Vietnamese and Thai even in our
suburban 'edge city'. Also a variety of Ethopian
and Middle Eastern places. All pretty good.
Dim Sum is pretty popular here, and sushi, of course,
but that's not my favorite. Give me grilled Salmon!

PaulG said:
Interesting, Simp, but I'm not quite sure
what you are going for there.
Maybe it will make more sense to me
when you have it up and running.
I'm a little slow sometimes.
Well, OK. All the time :shh:

The jugs give me room and support to have a water reservoir with room for air in the container so things don’t get funky in the plastic.

Based off of this from Gardening with Leon:

https://youtu.be/BuqYmRmJrHo' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>

Sad news to report, my F3 Cinder was murdered in what appeared to be a random cat attack (eyeing my neighbors cat). The assailant also attacked some other cloth planters, but, no injuries were reported. A reward is being offered for any information leading to prosecution.

Due to my pest problem I put down diatomaceous earth around everything in my garden and sprinkled more around areas that look friendly for earwigs. I’m going to plan out a neem oil schedule tomorrow and put out new earwig traps.

I’ve had a few surviving pepper plants from last years grow that somehow survived without me taking care of them from December until around the second week of March.

I trimmed the obvious dead branches, but I’m pretty sure I have more trimming to do. I top dressed them with some Happy Frog and 5-5-5 organic fish (I think) fertilizer pellets.

a44b4ba06ccc92ef25e74f25b618470f.jpg

55f0f1d2ca30b2bd5a81df1cb082bfb9.jpg

e700b5dbbe6af5620e994b840b5c5ddd.jpg

Largest of my 4 Billy Biker Jalapeños, approximately 14”-15” tall.

ddf88d0edcbbea17a8544c4e1079a640.jpg

I forgot to take pictures, but a couple of my tomato plants are flowering and my over wintered Bahamian Beast Red F3 has a dozen or so flowers on it.

Mr.joe said:
Looking good from here. Gotta watch the neighbors pets I guess. Have you joined the growdown yet?
The Red Fatali growdown? If so, I haven’t. I didn’t see it until mid or late March and haven’t decided to join or not. I’m really thinking about it and it would be fun.

simp3204 said:
The Red Fatali growdown? If so, I havent. I didnt see it until mid or late March and havent decided to join or not. Im really thinking about it and it would be fun.

Well sooner the better. Since I'm sorta local to you I have seeds and plants available if you are interested. Fair warning tho I've been fighting aphids on my plants. If you want one or two of my starts I can neem them for a day or two first. Let me know

I miss the food in NY, but I don't miss NY...LOL
 We have some really good Mexican places here, if they were open :rolleyes:

I have to read up on the earwigs... I see hornworn damage, but can't find any. Dipel dust time..

Mr.joe said:
Well sooner the better. Since I'm sorta local to you I have seeds and plants available if you are interested. Fair warning tho I've been fighting aphids on my plants. If you want one or two of my starts I can neem them for a day or two first. Let me know
I just went into escrow on a house and I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to take care of the little guy/girl (triggered). I really appreciate the offer though!

On a side note, if this house goes through I’ll have about a half acre to garden on and get some chickens! *happy dance*

Ok. Sounds good. I'll throw my extras in a bucket this week and see what they do. At least one is flowering now so what can go wrong? I posted a picture of the little guys in the growdown thread this morning.

Congrats on the new house, hope all goes smoothly. I know how much of a pain it is to buy a house.

I’ll send some positive energy to the little guys!

I’m a first time home buyer so this is all new to me and it’s a ride so far.

I put out 6 more diy earwig traps around my garden. They worked great last year, so I’m hoping they do the same this year. I can take update photos if anyone wants to see earwig corpses.

simp3204 said:
Ill send some positive energy to the little guys!

Im a first time home buyer so this is all new to me and its a ride so far.

I put out 6 more diy earwig traps around my garden. They worked great last year, so Im hoping they do the same this year. I can take update photos if anyone wants to see earwig corpses.

Yea it can be very frustrating, but hang in there. More pictures the better as far as I'm concerned.

I took these last night after about 2.5 hours of having the traps out. The two I put into one of my planters killed a few dozen earwigs. 3 of the traps were a let down, somehow no kills in them.

bd603db0a567090bd55051ccc774c536.jpg

859bba44123974cb0d501413e78ac083.jpg

CaneDog said:
Some success is better than none success and that's a bunch of earwigs. 

I don't remember if you mentioned - what's in the traps?
Canola oil mixed with a little liquid fish fertilizer in most of them and the one has that plus some bacon fat from my breakfast yesterday morning.

Joe I’ve thought about the mantis eggs! I’ve been talking sweet nothings to the black widows around my place hoping they go after the earwigs.

Back