• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Simple Hot Sauce

I found this recipe online and just added a few extra items it doesnt really get more basic then this sauce but you can add whatever you want its a good starter sauce. I have made it a few times and it does the job and always tastes better after a week or two in the fridge. I usually roast the peppers in the cast iron before they go in the blender and add a bit more vinegar.

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 500ml can of sliced pineapple
  • 1/4 cup pineapple juice
  • hot peppers of your choice
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1 tbsp lime zest
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1 tomato
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:

Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook and stir the carrots, oil, onion, and garlic in the hot oil until soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor. Add peppers, pineapple juice, lime juice, vinegar, tomato and lime zest to the blender/processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste, transfer the mixture to a saucepan and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Simmering at the end gives the sauce a more liquid consistency.

2013-03-10161158_zpsbca370cd.jpg

2013-03-10161239_zps76f9f284.jpg

2013-03-10165143_zps7e2eb519.jpg

2013-03-10171420_zps160758bf.jpg

Looks good, I think i might actually try and make my own sauce this year, getting tried of finding one i like, but the resturant dont always carry it. Sometimes they on back order and drives me nuts.

i'm going to be doing something similar this week, mango is on sale and i have lots of bonnets in the freezer. think i will follow this recipe....at first, i am sure i will change things as the day wears on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRUwvkgTlVM

Pretty good recipe to start with. here's my basic model:

I usually do:
400G peppers
400G neutral filler (squash, carrot, etc)
200G onion
60G garlic
10% weight in iodized or sea salt
1 Quart of vinegar type

Optional: acidic food such as tomato, about 300G

simmer 20-30 min
uncover + reduce 15-20 min

blend
reheat to 190
bottle

add spices as you want to tinker, usually in 12 - 18g ammounts

Back