• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SineNomine 2021

Hi all!

Although I'm pretty old around here, this will be the first Glog.

I have been growing peppers on the balcony since 2014. Last year I switched everything to hydroponics and I am very happy with it.

Here is the growing list:

Hanging pots:
- Fatalii 6
- Fatalii Red 2
- Yellow Devil's Tongue 1
- Papa Joe's SB 3
- Scotch Bonnet MOA 3
- Black River SB 1

Floor pots:
- Pimiento de la Puta la Madre 3
- Lemon Drop 2
- Chile Rayado 4
- Jalapeño M 4
- NuMex Vaquero 4
- Yellow Devil's Tongue 1
- Tepin x Lemon Drop 3
- "Aji Cito" (Panama) 1

mPGMnOe.jpg

m8liqYZ.jpg

C2GnwSC.jpg

Last edited:
 I have place for 38 pots on my balcony.
16 of them are suspended and have the best light. The orientation of the balcony is to the S-E. This is the place for C. Chinense.
At the bottom of the balcony I will put C. Annuum and C. Bacatum. For several years I have been looking for the best peppers for a semi-shaded area. I hope to find them...

The lamps are made by me from 20w LEDs for $ 1.8 on Aliexpress. In fact, except for the tents, everything is done by me.

SineNomine said:
The lamps are made by me from 20w LEDs for $ 1.8 on Aliexpress. In fact, except for the tents, everything is done by me.
Well done, my friend! Those are really sweet units.

No photos today.

I must complete 5 liters of nutrient solution every 3 days in each tray.

I wanted to compare the roots, C. Chinense has roots larger than twice the C. Annuum, although all C. Annuum plants are much larger than C. Chinense.
I didn't see any spots on the leaves anymore.

I hope to be able to plant out C. Annuum on April 3-4 and C. Chinense on April 10-11.
Will see...

Hey Sine.  Great to see the flowering and pods setting.  Good thing you won't have to wait as long as I will until you plant out!

I was waiting for someone who does hydro to chime in about the two spots, but the leaf curl looks like a response to the lighting being a little intense in distance and/or duration - sometimes root issues play into curl, but you could see a root deficiency easily in your setup.  Curl reactions can be a plant-by-plant type of thing so the intensity could be perfect for others, but just a little tough on a specific plant.  The general browning on the leaf looks like LED intensity burn, which I've seen before when my LED was too close to certain more sensitive plants - certain annuum/jalapeno varieties come to mind.

The two necrotic spots look to me like light burn, but I wasn't as certain about them from the pic and how hydro might play into it.  While I'm pretty sure they're just burn spots, I've seen fungal issues pop up in cool moist environments (which an LED hydro grow might be more prone too) so I was waiting to see if anyone had experience.  I'll say though that the fungal issues I've seen look quite different and I don't think it's anything that would spread.

Thanks a lot, CaneDog!
You're right about twisting the leaves. I've noticed this at Chile Rayado since they were younger. The leaves are wide open in the morning and twist in the evening.
Also the stain on the Numex Vaquero leaf seems to be the burn from the LEDs.
The only problem that really worries me are the two black spots on the Chile Rayado leaf. It seems to me to be a bacterial start. I hope you're right and it's still burning from the LEDs.

In my configuration I can't move the LEDs lamp higher.
I will follow carefully in the next period.

Yesterday it snowed here and the temperature was close to freezing, but from the weekend an increase in temperature is announced.

Not an expert, but I maybe wouldn't sweat it. Or at least not go as far as to chemically treat it just yet. The curling is interesting though as my leaves usually curl up when the LED panel is too bright, closing themselves off from it rather than curling down. Could just be variety specific how they react, some did it more than others. I've had a couple of those small dead spots as well, but they were very far and few between. So far I've just let it go or removed the effected leaves, and it never spread to the rest of the plant or any other plants. Just sharing my seemingly similar experiences.

I'm not doing any treatment yet. I improved the ventilation, the light is only 12 hours a day.

Of the varieties I grow, only Chile Rayado curl its leaves. I read that it is an original variety from the mountain area, maybe it is more sensitive to light.

SineNomine said:

I'm not doing any treatment yet. I improved the ventilation, the light is only 12 hours a day.

Of the varieties I grow, only Chile Rayado curl its leaves. I read that it is an original variety from the mountain area, maybe it is more sensitive to light.

There is higher UV radiation at higher altitudes, and lower humidity. I don't know about IR...

I do not know what else to say.
Over their tray I have LEDs with cold light, 6000k. I have no UV or IR.
It can be a disease transmitted through seeds. But I hope not.

It's been four days since your first post.
Have you noticed any spreading? If not,
you could just follow Kramer's advice.

I haven't seen any stains.
So do I. I break the affected leaves to limit the spread.
There are a few more yellow leaves that fall, but this is normal in the jungle in the tent.

Things are going well here. After more than a very cold week, it started to heat up. I hope I can plant next weekend. I would like to plant all C. Annuum first. They are more resistant.
This makes more space in the tent to distance C. Chinense.

I haven't arranged the balcony yet. Some very hectic days will follow.

SineNomine said:

I haven't seen any stains.
So do I. I break the affected leaves to limit the spread.
There are a few more yellow leaves that fall, but this is normal in the jungle in the tent.

Things are going well here. After more than a very cold week, it started to heat up. I hope I can plant next weekend. I would like to plant all C. Annuum first. They are more resistant.
This makes more space in the tent to distance C. Chinense.

I haven't arranged the balcony yet. Some very hectic days will follow.

Sounds like you've thought it out by putting the annuum out first and then following up with the chinense.  That's what I'm planning to do, but I'm a bit envious if I'm being honest, as for me I've still got many weeks still until I start moving things out to harden off before finally planting outside.  The rural wisdom around my parts is to wait until memorial day (US holiday) to plant things for good, which is May 31 this year.  The anticipation is killing me! xD

The planting period outside here is after mid-April.
This year I want to force a little depending on the weather forecast. Yesterday the forecast for next Saturday sounds good, today it shows 0 ° C (32 ° F).  :(
6ivxKjY.jpg

I'll see how it goes depending on the weather.
If there will be cold nights after planting, I will cover the plants with microporous foil. This ensures 3-4 ° C above the outside temperature.

Back