• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SineNomine 2023

IMG_20230303_145332 de coperta.jpg

In this picture are 2 Dwarf Chiltepin from seeds from Semillas that sprouted on February 15. One of them shows signs of starting to branch out. A very nice growth habit for this variety. One of them will turn into a bonchi.

Links to my grow logs:

Hanging pots:
From the varieties grown in previous years:
- Fatalii - V2 2022 (original seeds from Semillas) - 2 plants
- Fatalii - V1 2022 (original seeds from PaulG / Cane Dog) - 1 plant
- Papa Dreadie SB - V1 2022 (original seeds from Sawyer G3) - 2 plants

New varieties:
- Humble Servants Homestead SB - MarcV 2022 - 2 plants
- KS Lemon Starrburst - Semillas 2022 - 2 plants
- PI 215734 - Semillas 2022 - 2 plants
- Aji Dulce Peruano - Thegreenchilemonster 2018 - 1 plant
- Aji Dulce Rojo - Semillas 2022 - 2 plants
- Frontera Sweet - Semillas 2022 - 2 plants

Bottom pots.
Here I have only one variety already grown, namely Goliath Jalapeno from PaulG. I will have almost half of the pots filled with Annuum from Spain.
- Goliath Jalapeno - V1 2022 (original seeds from PaulG) - 2 plants
- Farmers Jalapeño - Semillas 2022 - 2 plants
- De Arbol - Semillas 2022 - 2 plants
- Tap de Corti - MarcV 2020 - 2 plants
- Ñora - MarcV 2022 - 2 plants
- Jaranda - MarcV 2022 - 2 plants
- Jeromin - MarcV 2022 - 2 plants
- Pimiento Piquillo - Semillas 2022 - 2 plants
- Piment d´Espelette - Semillas 2022 - 3 plants
- Piment d´Espelette - MarcV 2020 - 2 plants

An hour ago, I soaked the C. Chinense seeds in a solution of 2% saltpeter in distilled water.

IMG_20230303_203817.jpg

I will leave it for 2 hours, after which I will empty the saltpeter solution and put a solution of H2O2 0.3% plus Rhizotonic 1% for almost 24 hours..
Tomorrow I will put C. Chinense seeds in Root Riot cubes.

Last edited:
C. Chinense plants are doing well. Yesterday I planted two HSH SB and a Goliath Jalapeno to complete the tray.
IMG_20230402_125409.jpg

C. Annuum from the second round of sowing do not want to germinate. In many varieties I have zero germination.
It is more difficult because I have to cut the cubes to separate the sprouted plants to compensate. But it will be fine.

I saw that you also have problems with Annuum germination. Strange, but surely there is an explanation.
I had several varieties that I probably should have managed more carefully. I will not start another round of sowing because it is late. At the beginning of May I will take the plants outside.

I did read that annuums take about 3-4 weeks to pop even with a heat mat, maybe I got too impatient with them after the chinense popping up so quickly.
I put the annuum seed trays in the greenhouse for 24 hours where it was much cooler (even cold overnight) and have had a few more pop up so maybe it's partly impatience and possibly they need a bit of tough love :lol:
The Puta Madre seeds did very well and have given 100% germination :D

@Tinkerbelle , I'm glad those seeds germinated so well. Those plants grow very vigorously and are quite large, but they grow mainly vertically, without side branches. I'm sure they will grow very well in your area. Peppers can be very hot for an Annuum, they go well pickled or dried for powder.

I will not start another round of sowing because it is late.
Some people say strange things sometimes... :confused:
Today I sowed :D some seeds of Chile Rayado, Jalapeno Zapotec and Spezzano's Thai from @CaneDog .

Last edited:
C. Chinense is doing well. Maybe too good if we think that there are at least 3 more weeks until I take them out.
IMG_20230409_183846.jpg

Today I transplanted most of the C. Annuum. Although I had germination problems with these, I have almost all the plants I wanted.
Because of the transplant order, I put the little ones in the back of the tray. I will have to correct that.
IMG_20230409_183943.jpg

Weekly update.
C. Chinense grows rapidly and C. Annum quickly follows.
IMG_20230415_080354.jpg

IMG_20230415_080441.jpg

Because of some varieties that were not in the initial list, I have big dilemmas about what to grow and what to give to friends. I will have to make these choices soon.
The evolution of the weather here seems to confirm that, at the beginning of May, I will be able to take the plants outside.

The problem with those big leaves is that they start covering the other plants...
Right, but I have nothing to do. This year I sowed about 6 weeks later than 3-4 years ago and I am still surprised by how quickly they grow in the hydroponic system.

I moved the Aji Dulce Amarillo (the plant in the lower left corner) into individual pot and put it on the windowsill. A picture that better reflects (maybe...) the dimensions.
IMG_20230415_170046 Aji Dulce Ammarillo.jpg

Last edited:
Dayum, good god Vivian... you feeding them steroids again?
Incredible grow rate, yours put on the same bulk in two weeks as mine do in two months.

Makes me question my approach to pepper seedlings... although i'm not gonna quit growing in soil i think my approach with slow releasing granulated organic fertilizers, quite short days and keeping them as dry as possible just to slow them down for plant out might be completely unnecesary. I could start way later if i would choose for some direct available liquid fertilizers and longer days... would also save me a lot of money on the electric bill and save me some time wich is quite scarce for me in springtime. Something to consider next year!

Plants looking great by the way, as always! :thumbsup:

Dayum, good god Vivian... you feeding them steroids again?
Incredible grow rate, yours put on the same bulk in two weeks as mine do in two months.

Makes me question my approach to pepper seedlings... although i'm not gonna quit growing in soil i think my approach with slow releasing granulated organic fertilizers, quite short days and keeping them as dry as possible just to slow them down for plant out might be completely unnecesary. I could start way later if i would choose for some direct available liquid fertilizers and longer days... would also save me a lot of money on the electric bill and save me some time wich is quite scarce for me in springtime. Something to consider next year!

Plants looking great by the way, as always! :thumbsup:
Thank you Rene! I saw how beautiful your seedlings are, so these words of appreciation are all the more important to me.
On the system in which my plants grow, transplanting into the ground can be done easily and without too much stress for the plants.
The bundle of roots is removed with perlite and put in the ground like any other seedling.

Wow! Those are textbook healthy peppers! I wish mine looked like that.
Whatever you're doing, keep doing it :D
Thank you Rasmus! I am sure that your plants will quickly take off in your wonderful greenhouse!

Yes, please do share your hydrophonic textbook with us. 😁

Rat, my manual actually only has a few sentences. 😊
I can quickly summarize: I start the seeds in Root Riot cubes in the Kratky system with Canna Aqua Vega 1.4 ml/l plus Canna Rhizotonic 4 ml/l.
Blue light in the period after germination until transplanting for 14 hours a day.
After transplanting in perlite, I increase the nutritional solution Canna Aqua Vega 2.2 ml/l plus Canna Rhizotonic 4 ml/l. 3500K light for 14 hours a day.
As long as the plants are small, I make the nutrient solution only with distilled water for a low EC.
Yesterday was the first time this year that I switched to mains water for the transplanted plants.

But yes, the plants grow visibly from day to day. This is a picture taken last night. 😊
IMG_20230420_184211.jpg

Update with office plants.
Zimbabwe Bird has its first flower and lots of flower buds.
IMG_20230425_071418.jpg

Fatalii White and Fatalii Mustard are not doing very well. The cold nights and strong sun affected some leaves. In the next period, the weather will warm up and I think they will recover.
IMG_20230425_071456.jpg

The two Dwarf Chiltepins that I cut the top off branched out nicely. I will probably move the one in the small pot to a bigger pot. For now, I'm just following his evolution in that tiny pot.
IMG_20230425_071605.jpg
IMG_20230425_071654.jpg

IMG_20230425_071629.jpg
IMG_20230425_071639.jpg

Back