• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Siv's 2019 first time glog

I have never grown anything intentionally before but I wanted to try. Last year I bought some seeds from a local supplier here and tried to germinate them and failed. Not a single sprout. I kinda gave up. But around May I saw a sorry looking ghost pepper plant (at least that's what it was labeled as) sitting at Lowes so I bought it and put it in a small pot. Despite my neglect (and being away for a month during summer), the thing grew and put out a good set of pods. So this year, I'm highly motivated to give some serious pepper growing a go.

Determined to succeed this time, I educated myself and learned about the need for heat mats etc. I also watched a ton of Peter Stanley and Kangstar's videos which were hugely helpful.

I started with the leftover seeds from last year and here's the status:
  • Kraken - 10 started, 6 sprouted
  • Douglah - 10 started, 2 sprouted
  • Chocolate Moruga - 10 started, 0 sprouted
Then I placed an order with Sandia seeds on 4th Feb:
  • Ring of Fire - 10 started
  • Aji Limo - 10 started
  • White Ghost - 10 started
  • Fatalii - 10 started
  • Rocoto - 10 started
Of this lot, most of the seeds have sprouted so I have transplanted around four of each into wicking cups (half in soil and half in hydroton) to see what happens:
IMG_2806.JPG

Then Sandia seeds sent a coupon for 25% off and I'm a sucker for a sale so my second order was placed on 19th Feb:

• Bhut Jolokia Yellow - 10 started
  • Bulgarian Carrot - 10 started
  • Devil's Tongue - 10 started
  • Yellow Jalapeño Lemon Spice - 10 started
  • Mulato Isleño Chile - Chocolate Poblano - 10 started
  • Bell Purple Beauty Sweet - 20+ started
The yellow jalapeno and bulgarian carrot have already sprung up, as well as lots of the purple bell. The first yellow ghost just popped up this morning:
IMG_2804.JPG

I probably shouldn't have done this but after seeing the love for these varieties, I made a third seed order yesterday:
  • Bahamian Goat
  • Sugar Rush Peach
So my first lesson learned: Now that I know the importance of heat, humidity and light, I don't need to put so many seeds in. I have way too many seedlings now! I'm only gonna attempt 2 or 3 of the new seeds this time!

Now I'm debating how to grow these on. I have plenty of room in my garden so I'm thinking about a whole bunch of 5 gal buckets with one lot as self watering in compost and another as a drip watered hydro. I may do dutch bucket or I may try a venturi style nute injection, not sure.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what happens to all these plants over this year!

This morning I woke up early to take advantage of the cooler temps and covered my reservoirs in tin foil. I chucked the temperature probe in the right side reservoir and it was reading 99F yesterday even though the ambient was a few degrees lower. It's at 89F now and holding steady.

I'm getting a bit worried about vacation time water - I switched to the full right reservoir and isolated the left on 11/July and this morning it looks like there is only a day of nutes left. That's only 6 days from 30 gallons or about a quarter gallon per plant per day. This is nowhere near enough to cover the 24 days I'll be away on vacation! At this rate, I'm going to need two more trash cans - I need to find a sensible way to plumb them in.

48073678443_2c83f5d98b_z.jpg

I took a stroll to check on the soil plants. They're still there! Brought my macro lens and good some pod shots:

The first Kraken pod is knarling up nicely. 
48073544331_f5bbd3e78e_c.jpg

I hope these Aji Limo ripen in the next couple of weeks - I'd love to taste them before I go on vacation
48073542451_65ef6043dc_c.jpg

This is the overwintered fluke plant from last year - I think it's a Bih Jolokia. I was a bit slow transplanting it so it's not growing that furiously but at least there's one pod!
48073651627_019d8a807e_c.jpg

Then I saw this f****er:
48073544526_f60d3d4b92_c.jpg

i wanted to remove him and toss him in the grass but he holds on so tight, I think I may have done him an injury taking him off.

Overall, they're all alive and setting pods - some looking better than others. This is my insurance crop in case by hydro fails! The one thing I do like about these is that they're essentially hands off - the watering is on a timer and every couple of weeks I throw some slow release fert and slug pellets in there but that's it.
48073547881_99e108794d_c.jpg

Even the rocoto looks good and plenty of flowers but not a single pod...
48073653642_f48143a6fd_c.jpg

I threw my extras in the raised bed. I wonder how they'll do...
48073547131_1251ffe374_c.jpg

Mr.joe said:
I think you need a swimming pool installed... not to play in that's for kids, the pool is too hold nutes.
Already have the pool - the plants are actually beside it. I was just talking to my Mum earlier and she suggested the same thing! I just bought two more 30gal trash cans. Plumbing tomorrow.

Storm last night and a little oops!

48079846213_2a23a9c2bd_c.jpg

I zip-tied the lids to the back of the buckets with the intention of putting twist ties on the front so they remain accessible. And I forgot to put the twist ties on. Luckily this happened now and not while I was away. Every day is a new lesson.

I think I'm going to have to rope these to the pillars just to give some extra support. If they fall over when I'm away, there's nothing I can do.

I bought some cheap trash cans (since they'll be temporary) and spent last night foiling them up. Tonight I'll have to plumb them in - luckily I have the parts in hand.

48079815911_0e7ec9c110_c.jpg

Siv said:
Already have the pool - the plants are actually beside it. I was just talking to my Mum earlier and she suggested the same thing! I just bought two more 30gal trash cans. Plumbing tomorrow.
That's right I've seen the pool in your pics I think that will hold plenty of notes may need to cover it, and if you can't get plants downhill or use a pump

Siv said:
That's right I've seen the pool in your pics I think that will hold plenty of notes may need to cover it, and if you can't get plants downhill or use a pump

I came home last night with the intention of plumbing in the new trash cans and after a day in the sun they smell terrible. Like some off-gassing chemical. I look the lids off and have left them today to let them air out. Hopefully the smell is gone tonight - I don't want to add unnecessary chemicals to my nutes. I've seen people use these exact same cans for massive Kratky setups so I'm hopeful the smell is just because they're new...

Back up to speed on your grow.  Everything looks just fantastic, Siv.  Nice job!  

I wish I'd seen that PS video with the PVC pipes zip tied to the net pots before I set up my buckets.. This fencing I'm using is a pain in the ass sometimes.

I've been having trouble with the wind blowing my plants off the tops of the buckets, too, though my lids (they came with the buckets, have a hole cut in them) stay put - it's the net pots pivoting out of the holes in the lids.  I've read that some of those bucket lid/net pot combo jobs you're using will snap onto those Leaktite buckets like the matched lids do and others won't.  I mean to use the snap on sort next year.

My 32-gallon bins lost the smell after a few days. 

How's the salad NFT doing? 

Good luck getting your new cans hooked up,
Siv. And I am glad you were home when the
plants got messed with by the wind. I hate the
wind.

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Back up to speed on your grow.  Everything looks just fantastic, Siv.  Nice job!  

I wish I'd seen that PS video with the PVC pipes zip tied to the net pots before I set up my buckets.. This fencing I'm using is a pain in the ass sometimes.

I've been having trouble with the wind blowing my plants off the tops of the buckets, too, though my lids (they came with the buckets, have a hole cut in them) stay put - it's the net pots pivoting out of the holes in the lids.  I've read that some of those bucket lid/net pot combo jobs you're using will snap onto those Leaktite buckets like the matched lids do and others won't.  I mean to use the snap on sort next year.

My 32-gallon bins lost the smell after a few days. 

How's the salad NFT doing? 

Thanks E!

The PVC pipes are working OK now but the plants are outgrowing them. Also, they are growing new branches from near the base which are more horizontal and aren't being supported. I'm actually toying with the idea of adding that rabbit netting as more support. I bought some more and will experiment this weekend.

Have you zip-tied the net pot to the lid? That may help. The integrated net pot bucket lids I have don't snap on tight to the bucket hence the zip-ties to keep them in place. My idea was to zip-tie the back and use twist ties on the front but I just forgot to put the twist ties in.

My NFT salad has been retired. It was chock full of aphids and I didn't have the patience to treat them all. Also, since I was adding more and more peppers, they would be right in front of the NFT I didn't want there to be any contamination. Also, no one was eating the salad! Next year (or maybe this fall), I'm only planting anti-insect plants (thyme, basil, oregano, coriander, mint and chives) into the NFT system.
48087883772_fe7925e29e_c.jpg

PaulG said:
Good luck getting your new cans hooked up,
Siv. And I am glad you were home when the
plants got messed with by the wind. I hate the
wind.

Thanks Paul. I'm really worried about the wind now. In Texas it's either calm or hurricane - nothing in between. I'm doubly paranoid because all the buckets are manifolded together so if one falls over, it'll pull the others with it. I may have to build something...

I guess I've had my fair share of ups, yesterday was one of downs. I went out to check on the soil plants and found two massive hornworms on the Aji Limos. It looks like they've been at the rocotos as well since all the upper leaves are gone. I really hope these guys don't get anywhere near my hydro plants when I'm on vacation. It seems they like the bacatums - the first one I found was on the Brazilian Starfish. Is there anything preventative I can do?

Almost all the upper leaves gone on this Aji.
48092309168_1422a048aa_c.jpg

I also went to plumb in the new trash cans and one has a microscopic leak at the connection to the can's wall. I was on my last grommet of the type designed for the fitting but I have some others so will experiment and see if I can mitigate the leak. Otherwise I may have to try some sealant. There is a chance I may have to travel on business next week which would effectively but up against my vacation so my absent time could be extended by another week. I'll definitely need all four cans in operation to survive that long.

It's getting hot now. I found a load of Aji pods on the floor:
48092271336_395ae72237_c.jpg

At least I can be happy that I have managed to grow some stonking plants!
48092399273_a86c94740b_c.jpg

Wow Siv!   :shocked: I started a staycation this morning and wanted to check out some new glogs that I haven't had the chance to visit yet, yours was the first I randomly clicked on and I'm really happy I did! Your grow is incredible, and picture heavy, it doesn't get any better than that! Are you sure you haven't done this before?! Lol. You are killing it all across the board! Love your property, we have 5 acres too. Would love to see some more of it via pics! My family and I love watching "Lone Star Law" the Texas game warden show on animal planet, I'm fairly certain a good chunk of the series is filmed in Richmond.. It's definitely ringing a bell. Texas is a beautiful state, I'd love to visit one day. What kinda wildlife do you have out in your area? The Fatalii and Kraken pods look wicked! I've never tried a Kraken how are they in regards to heat and flav? Nice Anole! Your gonna be swimming in pods before you know it! Awesome job on all accounts, I'll be following!

Brandon

juanitos said:
in greenhouses they tie the plant to a support from above. you could put a heavier line around your pillars then tie each plant to it with some smaller line.
like this: https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2014/08/24/00/26/greenhouse-425782_960_720.jpg

its only june so they are going to get a lot bigger! you'll want to get something figured out soon lol

You're absolutely right - I need to sort something out. I originally through about making some kind of wooden support around the buckets but this will be a lot of work. I think I can kill two birds with one stone - I plan to put some rabbit netting around the larger plants in the middle as additional growing support. Then I can tie the netting to the pillars.

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Siv.  Plumbing sucks.

Perhaps I was tempting fate trying to re-use a grommet from another bucket I had. So far they've all been perfect. I have at least a week to solve it though and I'm sure I will.

BigCedar said:
 Wow Siv!   :shocked: I started a staycation this morning and wanted to check out some new glogs that I haven't had the chance to visit yet, yours was the first I randomly clicked on and I'm really happy I did! Your grow is incredible, and picture heavy, it doesn't get any better than that! Are you sure you haven't done this before?! Lol. You are killing it all across the board! Love your property, we have 5 acres too. Would love to see some more of it via pics! My family and I love watching "Lone Star Law" the Texas game warden show on animal planet, I'm fairly certain a good chunk of the series is filmed in Richmond.. It's definitely ringing a bell. Texas is a beautiful state, I'd love to visit one day. What kinda wildlife do you have out in your area? The Fatalii and Kraken pods look wicked! I've never tried a Kraken how are they in regards to heat and flav? Nice Anole! Your gonna be swimming in pods before you know it! Awesome job on all accounts, I'll be following!

Brandon

Thank you! My parents were big gardeners so being the petulant child I was, naturally I was anti-gardening. But I love spice and buy sriracha by the case and go to the Houston hot sauce festival every year. So I had to give this a go. And I get obsessive with my hobbies and end up spending far more than necessary on toys. But it's a lot of fun.

Our 5 acres isn't all that exciting - it's mostly grass with about 5 large trees spotted around. The previous owner planted a dozen olive trees but they aren't up to much and are slowly being taken over. As far as wildlife, we have lots of rabbits, deer, snakes, the occasional feral hog and coyotes. 

35637936822_9f805abac9_c.jpg

I'm looking forward to the Kraken - I've never had one before but it's a Trinidad scorpion/ghost pepper cross so should be quite nasty.

One of my extras is a Ring of Fire cayenne and I put it in a small kratky setup in my wife's studio windowsill. She seems to get the best light so it was the first plant to flower and set pods. Since it's the only plant there, I'm safe in the knowledge that there won't be any cross-pollination so I've harvested my first pods and am saving seeds!

48103124056_1e5f1fc4ca_c.jpg

A quick trip to Lowes to procure some silicone and we're all plumbed up! BUT when checking on the system, I noticed the active reservoir hadn't dropped any level and the master bucket with the float valve was looking a bit low. Closer investigation showed that there was no flow through the float valve even though the float was all the way down. This perplexed me and I did some trouble shooting and the flow from the reservoirs was working OK so the problem must be with the valve. I isolated the master bucket and disconnected it to find that the inlet to the float valve was blocked with solids. This worried me initially - this is a single point of failure that will screw up the whole system and I was wondering how this could happen. Then I remembered that when I switched from the other reservoir, I tilted it to empty and some of the solids that settled on the bottom must have come through. The take-off from the reservoir is a little above the bottom so that settled solids won't flow through but my tilting messed that up. I cleared the blockage and drilled some slightly larger holes and everything seems to be working OK now. I'm toying with the idea of setting up a second master bucket with a float valve set to a lower level as a back-up. If I'm here next week, I may do this.

Anyway, here's the plumbing as it currently stands with 4 reservoirs:

48103237407_6de706fb13_c.jpg

Back