• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

SKULLBIKERS 2021 FLOG

A new year, so a new FLOG(food log).

I previously called this my "healthy stuff" thread, but there is more to life than just healthy stuff. Sometimes a person just wants to eat something that tastes REALLY GOOD!

I just made up a new batch of kohlrabi kimchi, very loosely using this recipe:

https://positivelyprobiotic.com/the-bacteria-blog/kohlrabi-kimchi

I didn't use the little kohlrabi that you buy in the store, I used the KOSSAK KOHLRABI that I grew and just picked. Here is a pick of 3 of them but I actually ended up using 4. 

33117711-6309-48CA-9E0F-C1ED87B94B06.jpeg

The first three, 9 lbs, 10 oz.

658F0097-32E9-4EBE-9803-731741A067D3.jpeg

Plus the fourth one, 2 lbs, 14 oz

5529FEF9-68B5-4068-A6B3-BBF3AD68E88C.jpeg

Here they are, all peeled off, 10 lbs, 8 oz.

D797A2E2-B070-4BC6-B5F2-A7B245DE9463.jpeg

I didn't have any Daikon radishes so I used 2 of these Sakurajima radishes.
2025 grams, I won't use these again as they seem too mild to me.

AB817E8E-67A5-4F03-A400-6C462CEBF5F0.jpeg

I also used 4 lbs of carrots and since I didn't have any green onions I used 3 LARGE red onions.
I mixed it and the paste in a 12 qt bowl and it was nearly full to the top.

Here is the finished product ready to ferment, 2 gal, 3 qt.:

EC40765F-8699-4FD1-B24E-F837DBBD4D27.jpeg

I will give it a taste in a couple of weeks.

Hey @skullbiker - Do you have any regular-sized vacuum pump lids? If so, where did you find them? I have wide-mouth but was hunting for some regulars.

Hey @skullbiker - Do you have any regular-sized vacuum pump lids? If so, where did you find them? I have wide-mouth but was hunting for some regulars.

I have never found any regular sized lids. You can steal the silicone valve from a wide mouth lid and drill a regular sized plastic lid w/silicone gasket and install it there, but, then you have an unuseable largemouth lid. (until you put it back).🤷🏻‍♂️
I have searched for the silicone valves by themselves and the only I've found so far is from Alibaba. But, minimum order of 500 for $100, a few more than I would need and they are a slightly different design.

Man-o-man! Did I ever drop the ball on this thread! Anyway, here's this mornings smoothie, I usually have this for breakfasts on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Strawberrys, Mango puree(from our fruit), Dark Sweet Cherries, Yogurt, a scoop of Beet Powder, and Bananas.

915355C6-5053-4D66-A997-AD4D98671AE4.jpeg

Blended up.

FD59AA41-CE54-483E-9898-A0843E4D4BA3.jpeg

This thread continues for 2022 here:

Hi Skullbiker - you seem to be the Cowboy Candy King on here.
I want to make some, found myself a recipe. Now the question is, can I make cowboy candy with a mix of peppers?

Hi Skullbiker - you seem to be the Cowboy Candy King on here.
I want to make some, found myself a recipe. Now the question is, can I make cowboy candy with a mix of peppers?

I don't see why not. I've used jalapenos and rocotos. I have done a few sweet peppers in the juice after the hotter ones are done and they turned out okay also. I say use what you have, they should be fine.

I've frozen all the jalapenos so thought I'd use Espelettes, they're just a tad hotter. What could possibly go wrong.
Thanks for the quick reply :D

I've frozen all the jalapenos so thought I'd use Espelettes, they're just a tad hotter. What could possibly go wrong.

They should be fine(and tasty). I predict nothing will go wrong.

I cut up the jalapenos I had shown on my Glog plus more and Cherry Bombs and made a fairly large batch of Cowboy Candy. This batch is based off of this recipe that I borrowed from the internet. I cut my slices 3/8 to 1/2 inch wide as I found they get a bit flimsy at 1/4 inch after cooking and canning.

308F61F5-374D-428E-A3A8-4054CFC844A0.png
I found your recipe, which is the same as the one I found - and a big apology to the (evil) kohlrabi, you make it look and taste good

Back